View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Possible for "reverse tolerance"

Combaticuz

Greenlighter
When I was a teenager I had no problem eating an eighth or more of mushrooms and enjoying a mellow trip. Now my wife and I decided that she would try her first trip with me so I picked up some mushrooms while she was finishing work that day and ate just a couple before she got home. The trip was very nice and mellow and some vibrant colors and shadow play. When she got home I decided I would do the nice thing and gave her her share plus the few that I ate. At this point I picked out maybe three more and one of them was completely neon blue and see through. I remember eating this and that was about it. My wife said we tried to "fool around" right before the trip set in and in the middle of it my eyes rolled up into the back of my head and I was "gone". I remember being in a "different world" and when I was coming out of my trip a door appeared like a water color painting and I walked through it and was out of my trip....lasted about 6 hours. Now about 3 months after this experience I decided to try again and only ate a small handful and once again my eyes rolled up and I was gone into "another world" and could not function and have had the same results ever since. Is there something I can do to address this issue and has anyone else gone through this. I love "resetting my biological and mental clock" with a good trip every now and then.

How would you want to address the issue? By adjusting your dose? (Just do that) Or by understanding it?

I think younger people are more resilient to undergo new experiences, and the older you become - especially if you don't maintain use of psychedelic drugs - reactions can be stronger or less easy to integrate. I've seen people having difficulties and getting overwhelmed, not reaction in a flexible way... but like I said I believe that it may also be a little bit like a skill that you can somewhat maintain in order to avoid getting overwhelmed. Of course that would also help you by staying up to date on your exact sensitivity.
I think it is more related to being able to adapt which is probably very akin to being able to learn.

It's uncertain IMO how big the differences can be, I'd like others to chime in, otherwise it could of course still be addressed by having a relatively potent batch now.. Or combination of factors.

So yeah tolerance can drop I guess. But it is not discussed here often at all!

My baseline tolerance to psychedelics definitely seems to have gone down significantly over time. If I'm using them a lot in a short period of time then I can build up regular tolerance again, but if I wait properly they get progressively more intense.

My assumption has just been that it probably comes from a combination of the fact that the networks involved (that make up your brain) become more complex with age resulting in more intricate but also potentially more chaotic altered states, and something of a kindling mechanism that causes the brain to more easily enter strong psychedelic states each time it does so again. Something similar happens for manic states in bipolar disorder and seizures in epilepsy. Of course, if anyone has any better theories I'd love to hear them.

It's definitely for real though, and especially noticeable on certain substances like LSD. A dose that used to only give me euphoria and pretty patterns can now give me significant ego loss and immersive visions, and the visual quality has gone from cartoony to slowly more lifelike.

As for addressing the issue, why not just dose lower?

I don't have a lot of experience with mushrooms. I've done LSD a long time ago but based on what you say, I can also think it's a combination of factors. Specially when your consider yourself now as an adult rather than a teenager, like Solipsis suggested. Not only we change but we think differently. Our logic is no longer the same we used to have when we were younger.
I believe you should compare the experiences with those you are having now as a grown up.

There's also a lot about the ambient such as where, who and when you take it.
How were your feelings and thoughts?
Were you feeling totally relaxed or concerned about your wife. All of that IME will influence someone's trip immensely.

When I was a teenager I have had experiences such as viewing everything as if it was a dream. The colors were always extremely intense and it was all shiny. Lots of funny things, but when I did this a couple of years ago all I experienced was this bad trip. I was so concerned about so many things. And that's nothing to do with the dose IMO it's more like the moment.
So perhaps there's is a need to adjust the dose but maybe not. Lowering was an interesting suggestion.

I definitely think all of things related to different set and setting could be playing a role too, I just suggested lowering the dose because without too much intimate detail given I thought the reactions he described sounded a little intense. I had this kind of thing too where I took LSD in a good mood in a same old setting and I blacked out for two hours on the peak with a dose I'd been lucid on three times as much of before, and when I came too I was tripping way harder than I had on it before. Then I just started using lower doses and getting where I used to and it was all good.... Actually helps me preserve my supply better. It may not help Combaticuz's problem, but I figured it was at least worth a shot.

I must agree though that set and setting could have unprecedentedly large changes, particularly in how much stress is present at any time. And given that we are talking about changes since adolescence that can of course mean quite a lot....

Usually its a dose or sensitivity thing. Mushrooms are weird, some 8ths will give you a mellow trip, some will give you a trip to the psych ward. When albino penis envy came into town a few people took that trip to the psych ward, strong stuff. Chances are yours is a sensitivity thing seeing as other people too the same drugs and didn't react the same way.

I've seen a person lose contact on a real strong mushroom trip, he went comatose, eyes rolled back, and unresponsive. It resembled a powerful DMT blastoff, maybe it's a tryptamine thing. DMT and shrooms are the only drugs i've seen people truly drop out of the matrix, like they go to a new dimension and come back. It's scary and unsettling, probably not healthy for your psyche, best to avoid it. I've never seen this happen on LSD, generally when people take too much L they get naked and run away. Maybe switch to L, naked and afraid might be better than unconscious.

Do you concurr that DMT is an entire different species from lsd. Not that one is better than the other, but DMT needs to be reserved for the well-seasoned user.

Combaticuz, is your trip enjoyable and mind expanding. I wouldn't enjoy being unresponsive, but I am down with sensing, seeing and feeling the spiritual realm. Lower dose would be a good start then decide from there..

Peace