• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

possible codeine overdose

Toon Army

Greenlighter
Hi I have just posted somewhere on here but im not sure how to get my post seen quickly. Im scared i may have overdosed. About 5am this morning i took 10 30mg codeine tablets and 3 promethazine also.felt this wasnt working so took about 10 more plus abother couple of promethazine. all i feel now is very sick/pukey. Ive been taking codeine for years at high doses but never this amount. i have scared the crap out of myself that I have taken too much this time. could anybody please help me out by possibly, should I go to A&E or am i feeling sick as i have never ever taken this amount before, never going to do it again either. What would anyone suggest, thanks in advance.

How is your breathing, are you almost falling asleep, does moving make you feel sic/ puking or even when you lay down. Are you alone. To many variables for someone's on internet to answer.

You say should I go to A&E so I assume you are awake and walking. Its your life, your choice.
I took Codein once 120 mg topped with an large ammount of 60 mg Oxazepam (without tolerance). Had a sober sitter who told me I slept almost 24 hours. Was I in danger? It was pre-internet. But my breathing was fine according to the sitter neither was I nausseus.

A common OD, chocking in your own vomit while sleeping on your back. Or difficulty/ stopping breathing are your main concern's in case of an OD. If you having these symptoms just call the ambulance. Or have someone sober drive you to the A&E.

Does Promethazine surpress breathin? It is an anti-emetic, a drowsy one, yet you feel sick. And you forgot to mention the ammount of mg's you took in total.

So what's also unclear the time frame you took it. 5 am 1-st dose how long after that you took the second. And how long ago was that. Minutes or hours. What's your baseline tolerance, as I had none att.

Last edited:
How is your breathing, are you almost falling asleep, does moving make you feel sic/ puking or even when you lay down. Are you alone. To many variables for someone's on internet to answer.

You say should I go to A&E so I assume you are awake and walking. Its your life, your choice.
I took Codein once 120 mg topped with an large ammount of 60 mg Oxazepam (without tolerance). Had a sober sitter who told me I slept almost 24 hours. Was I in danger? It was pre-internet. But my breathing was fine according to the sitter neither was I nausseus. A common OD, chocking in your own vomit while sleeping on your back.

Does Promethazine surpress breathing it is an anti-emetic, a drowsy one.

So what's also unclear the time frame you took it. 5 am 1-st dose how long after that you took the second. And how long ago was that. Minutes or hours. And your baseline tolerance as I had none att.
Hi, the first dose was 5am, then another 4 an hour later then another 4 an hour or so after that. I have been taking codeine for a good few years, I would say that I have had 20 at the most 1 to 2 times. I do feel drowsy but I have been up since 3 with arthritis pain so I think feeling drowsy is probably that. I do feel really really sick though. Any further thoughts, thanks

If you're typing probably not an overdose. I can't take codeine, it makes me very nauseous

So no sitter, to bad. Promethazine causes drowsiness to. You even feel sick if you stay flat on your bed? Don't sleep yet, just stay flat. Or use the couch. Keep the phone near!

Someone you can call that can keep an eye on you? Your typing is lucid, but that is just what I see no idea in what shape you really are. You couldbe stumbling around and have auto correct on.

So no sitter, to bad. Promethazine causes drowsiness to. You even feel sick if you stay flat on your bed? Don't sleep yet, just stay flat. Or use the couch. Keep the phone near!

Someone you can call that can keep an eye on you? Your typing is lucid, but that is just what I see no idea in what shape you really are. You couldbe stumbling around and have auto correct on.
Hi, no im not stumbling around, I think im tired cause I didn't sleep well. I have just lay on the couch all day watching TV, I do feel woozy but to be honest I would have hoped I would have felt something after taking them. I've been taking codeine for years but I have never taken this amount apart from once or twice before and even then im not sure it was this many. Safe to say scared myself silly and will never do it again.

So yeah, nah I mean if it’s making you nauseous maybe you didn’t eat all day or it’s a bit large of a dose for you but in a true OD you wouldn’t be debating it hours later. You would know without a shadow of a doubt by then.

Anyway, watch it on the promethazine. Many think it’s harmless but not the case at all in an OD on promethazine.

I’m sure you’re fine with the promethazine dose current maybe just don’t increase it too much. I’m pretty sure that’s what really took out juice. Was an OD on the promethazine in the lean and then complicated with the opioids.

You would likely be unresponsive if you were overdosing. So thankfully it doesn't sound like you are. Just be careful in the future, don't take this high of a dose. And yeah don't take anymore opioids or sedatives today.

So yeah, nah I mean if it’s making you nauseous maybe you didn’t eat all day or it’s a bit large of a dose for you but in a true OD you wouldn’t be debating it hours later. You would know without a shadow of a doubt by then.

Anyway, watch it on the promethazine. Many think it’s harmless but not the case at all in an OD on promethazine.

I’m sure you’re fine with the promethazine dose current maybe just don’t increase it too much. I’m pretty sure that’s what really took out juice. Was an OD on the promethazine in the lean and then complicated with the opioids.
Hi, I wasn't trying to OD I just haven't had that many before, when I've looked in the pack I have had 24 all in all that was split over a few hours, Im sorry but I dont understand the last sentence in your post. Believe me I don't want to feel this bad/scared again. I haven't eaten at all today so the sickness maybe down to that.I've tried making myself sick but saying as I didn't eat theres nothing coming up.

You would likely be unresponsive if you were overdosing. So thankfully it doesn't sound like you are. Just be careful in the future, don't take this high of a dose. And yeah don't take anymore opioids or sedatives today.
I hope your right. My first dose was over 12 hours ago. I will never ever take that many again.

Hi I have just posted somewhere on here but im not sure how to get my post seen quickly. Im scared i may have overdosed. About 5am this morning i took 10 30mg codeine tablets and 3 promethazine also.felt this wasnt working so took about 10 more plus abother couple of promethazine. all i feel now is very sick/pukey. Ive been taking codeine for years at high doses but never this amount. i have scared the crap out of myself that I have taken too much this time. could anybody please help me out by possibly, should I go to A&E or am i feeling sick as i have never ever taken this amount before, never going to do it again either. What would anyone suggest, thanks in advance.

I'd monitor your symptoms. At the hospital all they'd do is give you anti-histamines which you already have.

A similar thing happened to me a long time ago except my whole body went bright red and burned with THE most intense itching I have ever has. I was bleeding from writhing at my skin. My face swelled and my eyes almost swelled shut and my blood pressure dropped so low I was lying on the floor and couldn't even raise my head.
That won't happen to you as far too much time has passed. But, yeah, be careful! Codeine OD can be horrible.

Codeine is a prodrug. Less than 10% of it is converted to an active opiate (morphine) unless you belong to an ethnic group who are classed as 'super metabolizers'. But codeine ODs are extremely rare.

Nausea is a classic side-effect of high doses of codeine.

Of course NOBODY is ever going to suggest that such a high dose nor mixing it with another CNS depressant is a safe idea but if you are able, get a sitter.

I do appreciate that given the post is now 2.5 hours old, either the OP is OK or not OK. By +150 minutes, the outcome should be clear.

Codeine is a prodrug. Less than 10% of it is converted to an active opiate (morphine) unless you belong to an ethnic group who are classed as 'super metabolizers'. But codeine ODs are extremely rare.

Nausea is a classic side-effect of high doses of codeine.

Of course NOBODY is ever going to suggest that such a high dose nor mixing it with another CNS depressant is a safe idea but if you are able, get a sitter.

I do appreciate that given the post is now 2.5 hours old, either the OP is OK or not OK. By +150 minutes, the outcome should be clear.
Hi, yep I feel as sick as a dog, I was hoping that because I'd taken the codeine at 5am then again later it was hopefully going to be ok, I won't be doing that again, I'm still terrified to go to bed as no one can check on me. I've been upsince just after 3am so I'm knackered.

Hi, yep I feel as sick as a dog, I was hoping that because I'd taken the codeine at 5am then again later it was hopefully going to be ok, I won't be doing that again, I'm still terrified to go to bed as no one can check on me. I've been upsince just after 3am so I'm knackered.
As others have said, It is very unlikely that you are in the not in the clear. I understand that codeine is a prodrug so maybe takes some time to hit but man it’s been hours right?

I’m sure you’re good.

Also, my statement that you referenced was in regards to what took out juice wrld. And I didn’t think you were intentionally trying to OD at all or at any point.

Just wanted to clarify that:)

Edit: also codeine is such a weak opi. If it’s not working for you kratom will if that’s currently where your tolerance is.

Kratom is stronger than morphine and codeine converts to morphine so I would think that Kratom might actually work better for you in this circumstance. But this is just conjecture. Much safer too. Uses. Different pathway to activate the opioid receptors so very very extremely unlikely to cause respiratory depression AKA classic OD. Usually what happens when ppl die from OD on opioids/opiates.

Idk. Just saying if you’re in extreme pain again which I gather you will be, maybe give kratom a shot? I don’t always recommend kratom but man if my tolerance was at where codeine got me right I’d be all over kratom.

Last edited:
The other question is what form your codeine came in. If it was formulated with acetaminophin (aka tylenol or paracetemol) then you could poison yourself just from that alone

T
The other question is what form your codeine came in. If it was formulated with acetaminophin (aka tylenol or paracetemol) then you could poison yourself just from that alone
true. Been ages like 15 years since I touched codeine and I think it usually is mixed with Tylenol if I remember right like T3s and cough syrup but wth do I know it was 15 years ago. Codeine never did shit for me ever. Morphine did once or twice but not much and not when i had it in a hospital iv.

I had already been doing perks and Vicodin by the time i found codeine.

But if no jaundice or liver pain he’s probably alright on that but idk I’d probably get it checked out if I took 40 Tylenols. Tylenol can be very fatal if you do t act relatively quickly I believe.

Do the codeine have Tylenol OP?

Note that on average the ceiling dose of codeine is somewhere between 300-400mg. Beyond that dose, no more will be metabolized,

So those rare cases of fatal overdoses were people who were super-metabolizers, people who mixed codeine with other CNS depressants OR people who took doses sufficient to cause seizures. Above 600mg seizures become a hazard but the references I found detailing fatal codeine overdoses were talking about very large doses indeed.

As a side-note, Doriden (gluetehimide), an old hypnotic medication was found to a CYP2D6 inducer (a VERY rare action) and if taken with codeine, it increased metabolism from 8% to about 50%. Doriden was removed from the market because '4s and Dors' (Tylenol #4 taken with glutethimide) was responsible for a lot of accidental overdoses.

If someone were able to find a CYP2D6 inducer that itself had no psychoactive effects, it would be of great utility in medicine and an extremely interesting RC. Glutethimide is chiral and identifying which enantiomer is the more potent CYP2D6 inducer would be of value.

Note that on average the ceiling dose of codeine is somewhere between 300-400mg. Beyond that dose, no more will be metabolized,

So those rare cases of fatal overdoses were people who were super-metabolizers, people who mixed codeine with other CNS depressants OR people who took doses sufficient to cause seizures. Above 600mg seizures become a hazard but the references I found detailing fatal codeine overdoses were talking about very large doses indeed.

As a side-note, Doriden (gluetehimide), an old hypnotic medication was found to a CYP2D6 inducer (a VERY rare action) and if taken with codeine, it increased metabolism from 8% to about 50%. Doriden was removed from the market because '4s and Dors' (Tylenol #4 taken with glutethimide) was responsible for a lot of accidental overdoses.

If someone were able to find a CYP2D6 inducer that itself had no psychoactive effects, it would be of great utility in medicine and an extremely interesting RC. Glutethimide is chiral and identifying which enantiomer is the more potent CYP2D6 inducer would be of value.
Ahh so juicewrld’s death was indeed likely from too much codeine. I thought it was a combination with the promethazine in excess. I am pretty sure the ld50 n promethazine is much lower which I find interesting but then again codeine being a prodrug not that surprising I guess.

I always thought how is juice getting high off lean when he eats 6-7 perk 30s at a time. And he spat up blood while he was seizing but oh well. Always thought the seizure was from the promethazine but this makes sense now. I just never seen anyone have a seizure from opioids/opiates whatever we want to call them. RIH Juice.

It appears that many opioids will cause seizures at sufficient doses but it's only the very weak ones where people won't die due to respiratory arrest long before a plasma level sufficient to produce seizures is reached.

Dextropropoxyphene is the infamous example and it's a known problem with pethidine (the latter due to accumulation of a metabolite). Tramadol is another one

African-Americans represent one group who are statistically much more likely to be super metabolizers. Codeine produces what is termed a 'depot' effect. Most people cannot slowly dose on codeine over hours. The body quickly stops producing the enzyme that converts it to morphine except in such groups. It's worth noting that quite a few quite famous African-Americans have died due to overdoses of codeine and/or hydrocodone (lean) or tramadol.