• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Possible allergic reaction to DXM?

Lysergaman

Bluelighter
I tried 300mg of Dextromethorphan Hbr (mid-2nd Plateau) for the first time the other night, but the skin on my face and torso turned dark red. There was even red blotching in the whites of my eyes (looked very different than dry eyes from something like Cannabis). They were the gelcaps without any other active ingredients. I initially took 25mg of Benadryl after taking the DXM, and another 25mg during the peak when the itching and redness was at its worse. The second Benadryl eventually helped get everything back to normal, but it was alarming. Awhile back I tried low doses for allergy testing and even went to the 1st plateau once, but never had any problems. Have any of you guys heard of this happening? I’d appreciate any insight.
Thanks

DXM can be a histamine releaser causing vasodilation and itching. If you have taken these same gelcaps before with no issue, I'd say it's just an effect of the DXM - allergies usually occur on the first, or rarely second, exposure to an allergen, and generally do not start occuring out of the blue. So if you've ingested DXM before without massive histamine release occuring then you are pretty certainly not allergic to it. But if this was your first time taking these gelcaps, you could be allergic to some other component of the gelcap like the dye or thickener.

DXM can be a histamine releaser causing vasodilation and itching. If you have taken these same gelcaps before with no issue, I'd say it's just an effect of the DXM - allergies usually occur on the first, or rarely second, exposure to an allergen, and generally do not start occuring out of the blue. So if you've ingested DXM before without massive histamine release occuring then you are pretty certainly not allergic to it. But if this was your first time taking these gelcaps, you could be allergic to some other component of the gelcap like the dye or thickener.
I used the same brand of gelcaps each time, so there shouldn’t have been any new ingredients. This was my first time trying a 2nd plateau dose though. Is this a common reaction for higher doses? I knew DXM could cause a histamine response, but I didn’t expect it to be that dramatic.
Thanks for the info

Yes most probably op it happened to me the first time to I felt sick(everyone gets different reactions), next time take some promethazine with it