• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Popularity of e-cigarettes soars despite a lack of reliable information

To think it is likely that the vapour would have an carcinogenic effect even one tenth that of tobacco is moronic. I know nicotine itself has some carcinogenic effect but it is negligible. You are getting roughly the same amount of nicotine as you would if you smoked. The primary carcinogens in tobacco are radio isotope polonium-210 and tobacco specific nitrosamines. The few ( tobacco based) liquids that did contain the nitrosamines had them at levels one thousandth those found in tobacco smoke. Those are hardly the only carcinogens in tobacco.

A minuscule association with cancer may be found but it is not going to be worse than breathing city air so it is irrelevant.

I couldn't care less what you chose to inhale just keep it out of my airspace. Until E cigs come with a closed system gas mask I would prefer not to be inflicted with their vapour in a enclosed indoor space.

Liquid nicotine is extremely toxic and you should ideally handle it with gloves. The point of the article states that very few people are probably aware of this risk because of lack of education regarding the product.

I'd be highly surprised if a direct link to cancer and second hand vapour isn't established with 20 yrs, as was found with traditional cigarettes. After all it is vaporising a complex chemical. The government is probably wise not to actively promote these products in an attempt to avoid similar health problems that exist with cigarette addicts today.

It's an obviously much healthier option than tobacco.

Nobody is claiming e-cigs are 100% safe but I'm 100% sure they're safer.

I couldn't care less what you chose to inhale just keep it out of my airspace. Until E cigs come with a closed system gas mask I would prefer not to be inflicted with their vapour in a enclosed indoor space.

Since we can be almost certain you would suffer no harm from the vapour we do not care what you prefer. So you can go fake cough passive-aggressively or whatever when someone vapes near you.

Your airspace already has trace particulate from tobacco smoke and combustion engines in it just even indoors unless you are in a building with a HEPA- filter.

I wouldn't have put it like that.. I wouldn't smoke an e-cig in a confined space without first asking if people around me minded / i would certainly stop if someone said that the did mind.

I mind when people stink of stale piss when they have a perfectly good bath at home.

All it emits is a pleasant smell (depending on the flavour) that dissipate almost instantly. It is not the same lingering smog from tobacco or offence body stench from people. The effect comes from people's neurotic, propaganda derived ideas about vaping rather than any actual effect from the vapour.

Why should you inflict your poison on me? Just because you want to be slave to nicotine it doesn't mean I want to. Nicotine is toxic with many proven unwanted health effects and I should be thanking you for making me inhale it?

Why should you inflict your poison on me? Just because you want to be slave to nicotine it doesn't mean I want to. Nicotine is toxic with many proven unwanted health effects and I should be thanking you for making me inhale it?

Is this guy serious?

Nicotine in low doses is actually neuroportective, doses which you would see in "second-hand vape". We eat nicotine in our tomatoes and eggplant, it's not something esoteric and deadly.

wait its illegal to have nicotine in them/ i never heard that

I'd rather not sit or be close to anyone vaping nicotine thanks. Not at all.

Discussion about The Commons and the application of the concept of economic Externality to it are extremely useful in such debates.

It's like, we all share the same air, literally when we're in the same enclosed space or nose to nose or neighbors and such, or more figuratively as we all live on a planet with an atmosphere. So someone smoking a fag will affect the former and the latter technically the same, but with different degrees of intensity.

So the point about ~as long as you're not fucking up my airspace~ is well taken.

Although I used to enjoy smoking indoors and will vape indoors to some extent, I'm soooo happy on the other hand that I didn't have to be brought up in a world where smoking was nearly universally acceptable in every building and room. I can barely deal with going to a local vape shop because it's filled with a haze as thick as any cigarette smoke I've ever seen. And for anyone who knows vaporizers will attest, that's pretty fucking bad. Can't imagine how that's all that better for your than smoking, but I'd rather not deal with either (hence if I ever go there when the fiends are at work I enter with what I want in mind and leave immediately and try not to go there generally). But I digress...

I'd rather not sit or be close to anyone vaping nicotine thanks. Not at all.

I tend to think way too, just as I wouldn't want to sit next to some random person smoking outside or in. Frankly I think it's proper etiquette, like to distance yourself from other and take them into consideration if you vape or light up where ever. If you're surrounded by vapers or smokers, it's appropriate to vape or smoke all you please. But surrounded by people who are doing neither, perhaps you better step outta that crowd a bit before you begin. Good etiquette, no? I'd almost say common sense, but I fucking hate common sense...

I'm a vaper myself, I quit smoking thanks to ecigs, but I never vape in places where smoking is prohibited, that's just basic courtesy.
I perfectly understand people who don't want vaping to be allowed in restaurants and workplaces.

I honestly don't understand places that have it banned. Is is odorkess and is not smoke. Not too mention there are more carcinogens in the natural are we breath than the vaper. It is simply water.

If it was odourless why can I smell it? Believe it or not not everyone is a fan of sweets and lollies. Keep your pong to yourself.

I'm a vaper myself, I quit smoking thanks to ecigs, but I never vape in places where smoking is prohibited, that's just basic courtesy.
I perfectly understand people who don't want vaping to be allowed in restaurants and workplaces.

Yeah that's the form of common curtesy that I wont to be around.

I was at the beach yesterday with my dog (off leash dog friendly beach) and this group of guys with 1 dog were further down smoking normal cigs and I could smell it from 20 m's away and then they finished them and dropped them in the sand and covered them, there are signs saying no smoking on the beach too. I let my dog hang his shit and bagged it and dumped it in the bin and left, I was contemplating having a go at them but I knew it could escalate pretty quick with the temper on some people and with my dog there I didnt wont to come into any conflict, some people are just morons.

Yeah that's the form of common curtesy that I wont to be around.

I was at the beach yesterday with my dog (off leash dog friendly beach) and this group of guys with 1 dog were further down smoking normal cigs and I could smell it from 20 m's away and then they finished them and dropped them in the sand and covered them, there are signs saying no smoking on the beach too. I let my dog hang his shit and bagged it and dumped it in the bin and left, I was contemplating having a go at them but I knew it could escalate pretty quick with the temper on some people and with my dog there I didnt wont to come into any conflict, some people are just morons.

Yes I think that is very disrespectful, even as a ex smoker myself.
However I where smoking outdoors is not prohibited I find it frustrating when people get mad when smoking in their general vicinity.
So I can't smoke outside or inside?
Where am I going to smoke?
And obviously vaping indoors where smoking is prohibited is very disrespectful as well, but I'll be damned if someone tells me I can't vape in the outdoors

If it was odourless why can I smell it? Believe it or not not everyone is a fan of sweets and lollies. Keep your pong to yourself.

Do you say the same to people who wear too much and/or shitty perfume/deodorant/cologne, or have bad BO? Because I run across a lot more of them than I do people who vape at all, let alone people who vape indoors. That's not touching on the stench and health effects associated with cars.

I always make sure I'm a good distance or downwind of people when I use my e-cig out of general politeness, I never use it near children, and unless I'm at home I never use it indoors (more because it's not worth the effort of triggering some anti-smoking fanatic who can't tell the difference than because I think it would have an effect on anyone) with the exception of nightclubs (well, I don't go clubbing much anymore, but when I did), on account of anyone at a nightclub complaining about a little nicotine in the air (which disperses within seconds) needing to check their priorities.

Honestly, you could probably get something absurd like 50mg/ml of nicotine and a 0/100% PG/VG (ie, maximum vapor output) ratio in your juice, while you're chain puffing on the ecig then blowing the vapor directly into someone's face from a foot away, and I doubt it would do more than maybe irritate their eyes unless you're in a small, enclosed space (one of those tiny 2 seater cars, or a photo booth, or under a blanket or something). And even in such an enclosed space, you'd probably OD on nicotine before the other person started to feel the effects of the vapor being exhaled.

I've been in a friends tiny home office for hours while he vapes constantly on this massive lightsaber-ish thing he has, with near the maximum nicotine quantity they sell premade, and never felt a thing. Hell, you can't even smell it after a minute. It's honestly a non-issue, a holdover from our generation being raised with the knowledge that cigarettes contain nicotine and that cigarettes cause cancer, without people stopping to think and separate the two facts.