Popular Debate...What's hardest to spin?

and rhettgill, i am contributing to this thread, and i say chill out. read the first post, keep it friendly.

Well, VestaxBoy. I used to have a few trance records, which I've since given to my girlfriend. The main reason I don't spin trance, aside from the fact that I would listen to 50 new records and find maybe 1 or 2 that were worth buying, is that I can't just stand there and wait for a track to end before I mix in the next one. Fucking boring! Also, you'll notice that nine times out of ten, when you hear an audience screaming during a trance DJ's set, it's because the track has gone into a breakdown and is building up...wow...why would a DJ take any pride in that? They didn't write the song, they're just playing somebody else's record, and that's all the audience is screaming for...something somebody else wrote. I'd much rather have the crowd screaming because I pulled off a cool trick or just finished a hot mix. At least that way I can say they're screaming because I did something other than simply playing a record with a good breakdown.
-Tim
Oh, and underscore...you're right...that Downwards stuff is damn difficult to mix, but it sounds great when you do it right (Claude Young is a good example).

i spin jungle and i garauntee you i match the beat for every mix.... i dont know whats the hardest to mix but i know it all takes beatmatching...
mixing records together when theirs no beat is taking the easy way out, thats not talent or skill

hey tc, why bother? just spin trance, the crowd will love you. who really cares about mixing? (please note sarcasm)

Well I'm a pretty good and skilled trance DJ I've been told, and I feel this is so because I do practice my ass off and have spun night clubs, raves, etc. BUT...I do agree...I have to wait for a song to end which makes it funner for me if I don't plan my sets at all. I have to cue that next record on the spot, and sometimes I don't cue it fast enough and have to use a break (this is usually after I've had a couple beers
smile.gif
) Either way, I guess it is sorta boring but I try to keep it spontaneous as possible.
EQ tricks are noticable, but damn easy. I suppose I spin trance because I have a passion for trance music, not because all I have to do is wait for songs to end.
Spin what you have a passion for, no matter how hard it is. Don't spin a genre because it's easiest to spin, and believe it or not, and lot of friend/dj's I know...picked a genre to spin because they were told it was the easiest.
I just wanted this to be a friendly discussion. No flaming!
smile.gif

DJ SHEX

i'm with you junglist22...i get shit for spinning house...but i love it & i'm doing it for my self, not the crowd or how easy it may be.
i wasn't trying to put anyone down for spinning trance. if you love it, spin it.

Alba, I would never give anyone shit for spinning house. Shit, house [is] the hardest of genres because of it's so damn harmonic and dynamic. Deep house espesically.
Props to you Alba.
redface.gif

thanks u_o...
it was really hard for awhile...but only because i'd spin tech-house, deep, filtered, tribal and even disco all in one set...
i can't help it---i love all of it...
i like my set's to have a "wavy" feel to it.
*imagine my had going in waves* does that make sense?
i like to consider myself pretty eclectic
(i guess you could say doc martin is one of my inspirations--he's damn eclectic)
[This message has been edited by alba (edited 24 January 2001).]

I haven't spun too much jungle, however I *ALWAYS* find it quite a chore to mix breakbeats together. All those tricky little beats and pauses make it quite the challenge. I give major props to those who can do it consistently from track to track with little to minimal trainwrecks.

i wasn't going to say anything in this thread, but undescore_omega touched a nerve
smile.gif

tribal techno is easy??? i think thats doing a great injustice. the tribally stuff is probably the most complex type of music beats-wise (please don't point to dnb/jungle, i've listened to heaps, share a house with a dnb dj), and that makes it tricky to mix. i remember playing a cristian varela tune to some people, and they thought i was mixing two tunes because the rhythm was so dense. lots of reverse edits, things out of time, bassdrums hidden under lots of other percussion...its not easy at all. add in that tunes are shorter often than other genres (under 5 minutes, you run tunees together for 2 minutes each mix, doesn't leave alot of room for error), and it all adds up to being quite a challenge.
this isn't an argument for tribal techno being the hardest. i think its ridiculous to try and compare genres with regards mixing - every genre has its own way of being mixed, with different challenges. nice smooth tranparent mixes isn't for techno, but it works well with trance. serious chopping/EQ abuse works with techno, but not with house. running things together for 3-5 minutes works for house, but not for dnb. every type of music represents different challenges, so dismiss one as being easy is tantamount to an insult to anyone who spins that.
eh enough of my ranting
smile.gif

i wasn't going to say anything in this thread, but undescore_omega touched a nerve
smile.gif

tribal techno is easy??? i think thats doing a great injustice. the tribally stuff is probably the most complex type of music beats-wise (please don't point to dnb/jungle, i've listened to heaps, share a house with a dnb dj), and that makes it tricky to mix. i remember playing a cristian varela tune to some people, and they thought i was mixing two tunes because the rhythm was so dense. lots of reverse edits, things out of time, bassdrums hidden under lots of other percussion...its not easy at all. add in that tunes are shorter often than other genres (under 5 minutes, you run tunees together for 2 minutes each mix, doesn't leave alot of room for error), and it all adds up to being quite a challenge.
this isn't an argument for tribal techno being the hardest. i think its ridiculous to try and compare genres with regards mixing - every genre has its own way of being mixed, with different challenges. nice smooth tranparent mixes isn't for techno, but it works well with trance. serious chopping/EQ abuse works with techno, but not with house. running things together for 3-5 minutes works for house, but not for dnb. every type of music represents different challenges, so dismiss one as being easy is tantamount to an insult to anyone who spins that.
eh enough of my ranting
smile.gif

(and i hope this doesn't appear twice...)