• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Poppy Tea has some kind of ceiling effect?

bdomihizayka

Bluelighter
I recently relapsed on my beloved poppy seed tea. I noticed in the past it seemed that there was some kind of limit to how high you could get off of the tea. I only have basic pharmacology knowledge- so I want some help here.

Yesterday I had 1.5 lbs of seeds in one dose around noon. This was my 4th time using any opiate for nearly 6 months. The other 4 uses were concurrent days of poppy seed tea at the same dose.

Today- starting at 10am- I am up to 6 lbs of the same batch of seeds and neglibly "higher" than yesterday.

Obviously- you can't make a proper scientific experiment with seeds or pods as the dosages of the alkaloids are unknown- but I have noticed this in the past as I said, and am in a self destructive relapse lol so I put my theory to the test.

Why does it seem to level off and not increase sedation/euphoria - central/peripheral effects with increased dosage?

If you take a dose of opioid that induces euphoria, taking more isn't necessarily going to make you feel better.

yeah in my experience opium tea, which is just codiene and morphine, loses its appeal after a few days, because these just aren't really kickass drugs to begin with. After messing with heroin, or even oxycodone, or U44770 or whatever, morphine only seems to stand out as a sedating, pukey alternative that doesn't feel so great. codeine itself is just slow release morphine, at best.

drugs in general have ceiling effects, thats why the doses always need to be increased; yet even then you're gonna find yourself getting bored with 'em real quick. opium poppy tea just isn't that terrific, and you hit that ceiling on day one.

enjoy the rest of your relapse, tho

When I make my tea, I add 3 hits of white vinegar , after I add hot tap water, to the juice pitcher. Stir for 15 minutes briskly.
I find it far more potent.

i found poppy tea to be very hit and miss when i tried it, same with codeine, sometimes it just didn't work for me.

i think you need to space out taking it quite a lot.

Ewww I can't imagine putting white vinegar in it. The taste is bad enough. I squeeze a good amount of lemon juice in it, makes it more potent and makes it more bearable to taste.

Poppy seed tea just doesn't feel good sometimes. I decided to get a batch of strong seeds that should be here Wednesday. It's been a long time since I've touched the stuff. The first couple of "highs" is probably the best. When you have to start adding more, it doesn't feel that great. You'll notice more side effects.

It's not something to rely on. Just something to do once in a while when you have time to kill, want to forget yourself and just stay in the damn bed.

Last edited:
It could also have something to do with the amount of the tea your body can process at one time, like maybe something funky is going on with the enzymes... maybe someone else can elaborate on this.

I know that the liver can metabolize codeine into more and less potent opioids, and I know that morphine's oral bioavailability is terrible (and not a whole lot more). I'm not sure of the general ratio of the alkaloids (so whether this is relevant or not), but maybe this can point you towards the answers you're looking for.

You could see how white grapefruit juice or other enzyme inhibitors effects the experience, be careful tho, do some research first.

Also if it is codeine that is mostly responsible for the tea's effects I do believe it has a pretty low maximum effect when all receptors are occupied, compared to other opiates, tho don't take my word for it I could be wrong.

Last edited:
^ That's a great point. It does depend on how your liver metabolizes the tea. It might process it well one day and the next day, it's like "meh" and might take even longer. The alkaloids and liver do factor in.

Poppy seed tea can feel "dirty" at times. I still think it's only really good the first couple of times, then a long break is needed. I prefer to stay at lower doses because dealing with poppy seeds is a dangerous game. You don't want to push it, take too much and end up dead.

With that said, I'm not eating so I have an empty stomach when my seeds arrive today. Then it's party time. If I feel way too sluggish, I'll drink a little coffee to perk up. I don't like sleeping away my entire high. That's boring.

When I make my tea, I add 3 hits of white vinegar , after I add hot tap water, to the juice pitcher. Stir for 15 minutes briskly.
I find it far more potent.

really?? why not use citrus juice, which similarly acidifies it - but also makes it taste better?!

IME opium (pod tea, seed tea, poppy latex) tea doesn't have a ceiling effect, and you can redose with good effect - but it depends on what the make-up of the tea is.
there are literally dozens of active alkaloids in PST, which all have different effects. if your stuff has more codeine in it, then it may have more of a ceiling dose, as codeine isn't very good to redose and has a ceiling dose and diminishing returns.
when i first started using PST, like 15 years ago, the seeds were really fucking strong, but in the last 5-10 years it seems like they are all washed, and the effects are way weaker than they used to be (even accounting for tolerance).

i used to get far better results from pod tea - but all opium is going to be a bit hit-and-miss, depending on the growing conditions, genetics and so on.

there are some good replies here - all may be true to some extent. PST is a relative unknown, in that i don't think there has been a great deal of scientific study into what is actually on those seeds (besides the obvious opiate alkaloids)

Glad the seeds came kinda early today instead of later in the evening.

In the past, I've used a 2 liter bottle. I would put the seeds in a measuring cup and slowly pour them into the bottle. I don't have a funnel so it was a pain in the ass getting the seeds into the small mouth of the 2 liter bottle.

Today, I used an empty orange juice gallon bottle. The mouth is bigger so it was easier to pour seeds in from the measuring cup. Then I added lukewarm water to cover the seeds, shook it up good for 15 minutes. Unscrewed the orange juice cap just enough for the liquid to start pouring out and it gave me about 16 ounces of liquid. Added plenty of lemon juice. It didn't taste bad going down. The color of the drink was a really dark yellow. The darker, the better. That's the easiest way to prepare it.
Some people will tell you to drill holes in bottles or heat the brew up over the stove. None of that is necessary.

Now I'll wait an hour and see what happens...

In a pinch you can make a funnel by rolling a piece of paper into a cone shape. You can also cut a small water bottle in half and use the top portion upside down as a funnel.

I got a 5 pound bag of what was supposed to be the really good seeds, but maybe my tolerance has become high from doing Tramadol a month ago. I've also taken a Vicodin here and there.

The tea made me mellow, but not really mellow enough. I wasn't going to push it and drink more, possibly OD'ing. Nodding is a nasty feeling. I spend my time on poppy seed tea trying to fight through the fog of feeling sleepy. Oh and the itching is unbearable! Had to use someone's Claritin to stop it. Even your privates itch like crazy! Took a shower to try to stop feeling itchy and gross, but make sure you have Claritin or Benadryl on hand for sure.

It's that glorious time of month, so I'm thinking of making some tea whenever I get bad cramps. Other than that, it's a bland "high". Not really worth it.

I used poppy seeds for 2 years and now for 4 months, last time I needed to take them every 2 hours to get the feeling that I needed. Its really bad addiction as opium has so many alkaloids. At the first year I got great feeling from that afte that I was constantly is on some kind of depression and tried to get the good feeling from it but it didn't give it anymore and the WDS area really nasty. I tried 200mg oxycodone but didn't get any good feeling only fentanyl or 400mg oxycodone worked the tolerance to opioids went very high.