• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy pollen??

butyl_groupie

Greenlighter
Today, I saw a man who looked homeless come up to the patch of poppies in the woods by my house. He brought a plastic grocery bag and started knocking off the pollen and possibly the stamens of the blooming poppies into his bag. He spent a few minutes doing this before leaving.

What could he have wanted with the pollen? The good shit is in the matured seed pod right?

Also, I'm not sure if these are papaver somniferum or corn poppies. How do you tell the difference?

Maybe he wants to plant them some place where he wouldn't be stealing them as he grew them?

He was probably just misinformed regarding which parts do what and when to harvest. It's surprising (or not I guess) how much wild junkie/stoner/tweaker speculation is disseminated as fact.

Edit for additional answer: Papaver Somniferum will have a bluish green and "dusty" appearance to the stems and leaves and a decent thickness all over with leaves resembling lettuce. The flowers on P. Som. vary wildly with the most common being the white with a purple dot in the center of each petal. Papaver Rhoeas (corn poppy) will have a darker green appearance with many hairs (thorns of yester-millenia) on the stem and leaves. Very thin and wiry looking plant. Flowers are always red with four floppy petals. Generally blooms more times per plant than P. som.

Last edited:
maybe he wants to pollinate his own crop of poppies or he's some hippy-dippy type that thinks pollen has some medicinal properties.

in any case, the pollen contains no alkaloids...

Alright, these are definitely corn poppies so they're not useful anyways. One of my friends said he saw a bum harvesting corn poppy pollen in the area last year. ?

Now I'm imagining these guys in the throes of withdrawal desperately trying to snort up the pollen. Poor dudes but lol.

Actually, I found some online herbal shops selling dried corn poppy petals as a relaxing smoke. Maybe the stamens that fall off with the pollen work too?