• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Poppy pods any good

KnowsNotWhatItMean

Bluelighter
First of all, this has got nothing to do with opium talk. This thread is about opiates found in a poppy plant, more precisely the pods, orally ingested. How many of you guys are knowledgable enough to share some experiences? While negative effects of addiction and toxicity should never be left without mentioning, my main point of concern is it's analgetic value and what do you actually get from poppy pod tea?

This relates to my other question, being when is the best time to harvest them pods for alkaloids if tea preparation would be on one's mind? Any actual information on this seems to be hard to find, although pharmacologically it does appearently make a difference if the pods are green versus when they're fully mature and dry. Is it not that big of a difference?

Last edited:
This has all to do with opium talk because when you consume dried poppy pods, you ingest the same Alkoloids that you do with opium. It's basicly the same thing.

They are great for analgesia which is why people have been using them for about 5000 years. They also last for a very long time so taking it once a day is usually enough. The effects are felt after half and hour but it peaks around 2 to 2,5 hours. You need to be careful with how much to use; the potency varies a lot. Start with one pod then if you think that it's not enough after 3 hours, take more.

The best time to harvest is after they loose their flowers and when a crown forms at the top of the pod.
Good luck and be careful.

Last edited:
I have got no tolerance, had couple experiences with 5 tablespoons worth of ground dried pods, which were still pretty young and green when picked and got some mild effects out of it tough I have to say that the whole batch was not nearly enough for me hence why it is so addictive and potentially dangerous. But these were young pods, I would assume if they were mature it could have been stronger.

One can harvest them after they are ripe, as KS78 points out above and dry them and use the usual methods one finds on the internet, essentially a quick and dirty (which is good) version of the original poppy straw process published by János Kábáy in 1930 -- one can also put green pods in a solution with alcohol in it, but ripe pods allow one to save the seeds for any number of uses.

I thought that the usual method would be just to lightly boil the crushed material in water by adding some lemon juice to aid absorption or to just drink it whole I'm not entirely sure as to what this quick and dirty process would have to involve could you shed some light on that or what exactly is it that makes is it good? Or do you mean it is good for eliminating the bad stuff more then anything else? Any actual insight on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I used to run finely powdered poppy pod grounds through a stovetop espresso maker (sometimes I'd run the resulting solution through the grounds a second time). I've never heard of anyone else doing this, but it seemed to produce a very strong brew. Its a essentially a high pressure steam extraction...

I just eat the dried pods with some water. It works great and I don't have to sip on some hot grass flavoured drink. I never got constipated from poppies probably because of all the fiber intake.

Higher boiling temperatures allegedly kill some of the good stuff... drinking it whole is kinda dirty if you think of all the insects and what not but other than that boiling seems to be a waste of time. It's worth testing out both I'd say, since I can't attest to any method for being the ultimate.

Another thing to mention is the rain. Rain is supposed to wash away some of the good stuff, growers might know better than I do.

Boiling point and melting point of morphine are something like 200° and 250°C so short periods od perhaps 100-150°C shouldn't result in much harm.

Supposedly before harvesting youre supposed to cut off water supply to promote alkaloid creation.

I thought that the usual method would be just to lightly boil the crushed material in water by adding some lemon juice to aid absorption or to just drink it whole I'm not entirely sure as to what this quick and dirty process would have to involve could you shed some light on that or what exactly is it that makes is it good? Or do you mean it is good for eliminating the bad stuff more then anything else? Any actual insight on this would be appreciated.

That is actually exactly what it is -- one may not need as much lemon juice in the extraction as it may look like as the optimal pH for morphine extraction is 6.5 . . . then aftwards add more lemon, lime juice, lemonade or anything to improve the taste, but white grapefruit juice is the best for that kind of thing.

yeah, add some lemon juice, its also good for the taste of a water extract, tastes kinda muddy if you consume it that way.
also dont wait too long with the harvest after the flower leafs have fallen of because the plant starts converting more and more of the morpine into codeine after that. so this would leave you with a less active extract.

yeah, add some lemon juice, its also good for the taste of a water extract, tastes kinda muddy if you consume it that way.
also dont wait too long with the harvest after the flower leafs have fallen of because the plant starts converting more and more of the morpine into codeine after that. so this would leave you with a less active extract.
I have read that somewhere, but I think I'd leave them alone until they're good for seeds if I happened to encounter some. I don't actually know what difference it's supposed to make or if it does make any difference at all. But yeah I've never drank pure morphine so I don't know why would you wanna go more after that over the codeine who knows

Last edited:
Not to mention that you can end up in jail at some places if you get busted with pods, I feel it might be less risky that way, leaving them to dry because if there are some cops involved, if it's dry it means they're probably not watching. Yeah it's weird I'm probably talking nonsense. I'd love to stumble upon a place where there is a bunch of poppies but that's not something you see every day.

Last edited: