• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Poppy pod tea - inactive cultivars

guy1234

Bluelighter
Hello all

So I'm looking into making a batch of poppy pod tea As currently CWEs (my only source of comfort at the moment) are becoming cumbersome.

I have ordered a batch of dried Papaver somniferum pods from an online florist (I am UK based). I do however have some concerns as to how I know if I'm getting (meaningfully) active product or not

Apparently various strains of the opium poppy now exist and some have been developed to be low or zero opium producing, high thebaine prpducing etc. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how prevalent these inactive strains are on the general flower market (for instance are all legitimate commercial poppies in the UK likely to be useless) and whether it is a waste of time trying this these days unless you have a source that you know is providing alkaloid containing pods for illicit purposes.

Hello all

So I'm looking into making a batch of poppy pod tea As currently CWEs (my only source of comfort at the moment) are becoming cumbersome.

I have ordered a batch of dried Papaver somniferum pods from an online florist (I am UK based). I do however have some concerns as to how I know if I'm getting (meaningfully) active product or not

Apparently various strains of the opium poppy now exist and some have been developed to be low or zero opium producing, high thebaine prpducing etc. I'm just wondering if anyone knows how prevalent these inactive strains are on the general flower market (for instance are all legitimate commercial poppies in the UK likely to be useless) and whether it is a waste of time trying this these days unless you have a source that you know is providing alkaloid containing pods for illicit purposes.

I also order from an online florist based in the UK (won't name them here as I don't know what the rules are on that kind of thing in this forum).

I have never purchased any poppy pods that had really low or zero opium. All of them contain a fair amount of opium. The amount of thebaine seems to vary from time to time, but overall, I have never had any with what I would consider to be an excess of thebaine.

But just want to say that you really need to be careful when dosing with a new vendor's product. I always err on the side of caution when trying a new batch, say, taking about half or even a quarter of your regular amount to see how it effects me.

Hope that helps.

Ok cheers

I will be careful, grind all pods together to even out potency and then will probably start with 2g of ground pod and titrate up from there.

I have a very high codeine tolerance however I consider all bets off with something so impossible to measure or gauge like pods

Ok cheers

I will be careful, grind all pods together to even out potency and then will probably start with 2g of ground pod and titrate up from there.

I have a very high codeine tolerance however I consider all bets off with something so impossible to measure or gauge like pods
Yes, it can be difficult to gauge the strength of your poppy pod tea. I've been using for a long time and pretty much know what my dosage tolerance is. But every now and then, I do get a batch from my vendor that contains unusually potent pods. As a basic rule, I have found that the darker the brew is, the stronger the tea will likely be, particularly if the pods are uniformly "blondish" in color. As such, I can usually trust that it is not the coloring of the pods that makes the tea dark, but rather, the amount of opium that they contain. Just do be careful, as overdosing on opium really sucks.

Ok will do. Was starting to get the feeling that this was a more historic art and that they've been breeding the potency out of most commercially available flowers (I'm UK based) so good to know I've got a chance

I've wondered this too. There are a couple of perfectly legitimate online florist vendors in the UK who also sell dried Papaver Somniferum pods. I haven't found they did much for me so wondered if they are strains with little opium in them, or I'm just Not Doing It Right method-wise

I also order from an online florist based in the UK (won't name them here as I don't know what the rules are on that kind of thing in this forum).

I have never purchased any poppy pods that had really low or zero opium. All of them contain a fair amount of opium. The amount of thebaine seems to vary from time to time, but overall, I have never had any with what I would consider to be an excess of thebaine.

But just want to say that you really need to be careful when dosing with a new vendor's product. I always err on the side of caution when trying a new batch, say, taking about half or even a quarter of your regular amount to see how it effects me.

Hope that helps.

what is your method for making effective pod tea and how many grams do you usually use?

what is your method for making effective pod tea and how many grams do you usually use?
It's pretty simple. I just crush up about 8 to 10 pods and then add enough hot water to cover them and let it steep for an hour. You can also get a second brew from these by adding more water after straining off the first batch.

I know that a lot of people grind their pods into a powder, but I have found that it really doesn't give anything extra to the brew and it is just easier to crush them in a bag and then steep them.

By the way, the amount that I use is not a single dose for me. I get about two to three doses out of the above, depending on how strong the pods are.

If it's the one that sells Giganteum ones then the pods are very good. I use them in emergencies (like right now).
I have a tolerance that spans from heroin, oxycodone, morphine to codeine and I measure out normally 4 or 5 heaped tablespoons of ground powder (I grind in batches of several pods) and it keeps me from withdrawing. I don't nod or anything at that dosage but it's ok to keep withdrawal at bay.
Start low if you just take codeine and sip it slowly to see how it affects you.