• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc poppies

cjh1221

Bluelighter
Ok, totally hypothetical (but I'm actually seriously considering doing it) question. If I had a decent crop of Papaver Somniferum growing and they were ready to be harvested (pods scored, latex extracted, etc.), aside from making tea or smoking the dried latex, what would be some of the other methods I could use to extract the different alkaloids? What drugs could be made at home from it? With a little knowledge and know-how, could I theoretically get more than one type of drug from it? I know there are countless different variations of drugs that can be made from the latex, I'm just wondering what processes would give me the highest yield of goodies. I'm not a chemist but I am a bit of a self-taught botanist, and playing mad-scientist sounds like fun, especially if I can get some goodies for myself in the end.

What I'm essentially asking is this: what would be the best way to process it, what chemical or drug would I get from said method, and is there the possibility of getting more than one use from the same amount of latex. Say I learned how to make heroin. Once the heroin was made, would there still be other alkaloids in the "left-over" to extract something else? Or is it a one-shot deal?

I'm a bit stoned as I'm writing this, just had a bit of temazepam so I'm probably making no sense. Sorry if that's the case. Any chemists out there have a clue what I'm getting at? If so, I'd appreciate your input. If I sound like an idiot, feel free to tell me that too ;)

This is very close to synth discussion, which is not aloud. All you could get from the latex really is codeine and morphine, which takes some tricky processing to separate.

Just filter the plant matter from the wax dissolving in water, filtering through a 90 micron bubble bag, and then evaporate it without heat to leave cooked or purified opium.... Supposedly raw opium smokes better although I wouldn't know.

Edit: you also won't end up with pure heroin, but black tar heroin essentially being a hodgepodge of converted opiate alkaloids. Discussing the conversion to heroin is synth talk and completely against the BLUA. This will be the best answer you will get here.

Ok cool, I wasn't really asking how, just what's available in it and if the codeine is extracted, does that leave other alkaloids to be potentially extracted, or is the waste produced after the codeine is extracted then useless. Thanks for your input, and advice. Guess I should have worded it differently :)

I'm sure there are more opiates than codeine and morphine with thebaine being an example. Honestly it's impossible to tell without a lab analysis of your specific opium batch

Cool, thanks. It really is just hypothetical. I've considered it as I do have a greenhouse and the knowledge to grow them, was just curious what the possibilities were if I decided to go about it.

When i was using opiates, i thought the full-spectrum alkaloid mix of opiates in pod tea was better than other opiates in isolation.
Something about the natural synergy...and of course the duration of the high.

Extractions are so much fucking around, when pods themselves are so awesome and easy to prepare.
Why complicate it? Plus, in any home kitchen extraction, you're going to lose some.
If you want the highest yield, i'd say keep it simple.
I'd just be blending those fresh pods into a pulp, mixing it with some kind of fruit juice, and downing the whole lot. Used to love doing that; its simple, and i even came to love the bitter taste.
Fresh or dried, i used to love pods so much. Be careful, cause they're fucking addictive (if you dont have a habit - or even if you do, be mindful of jacking up your tolerance).

Last edited:
I will likely give it a try, I am already a junky with a sky-high tolerance so I'm not too concerned about that. The taste was my biggest worry lol. I'm thinking extract the latex, use that for amoking, and tea with the rest. Sounds pretty decent. Thanks!

When i was using opiates, i thought the full-spectrum alkaloid mix of opiates in pod tea was better than other opiates in isolation.
Something about the natural synergy...and of course the duration of the high.

Extractions are so much fucking around, when pods themselves are so awesome and easy to prepare.
Why complicate it? Plus, in any home kitchen extraction, you're going to lose some.
If you want the highest yield, i'd say keep it simple.
I'd just be blending those fresh pods into a pulp, mixing it with some kind of fruit juice, and downing the whole lot. Used to love doing that; its simple, and i even came to love the bitter taste.
Fresh or dried, i used to love pods so much. Be careful, cause they're fucking addictive (if you dont have a habit - or even if you do, be mindful of jacking up your tolerance).

Hey man, quick question, how many pods did you do at a time and what would you reccommend to a newcomer to them. (Plenty other Opiate experience)

Also when is the best time to harvest?

Look up Jim Hogshire and you can pretty easily find a free copy of the book he wrote about it. Perhaps You have even heard of it..."Opium For the Masses"? Pretty good book and easy to follow. Has a lot of good info. Not sure if this link is against the rules....if it is I'll gladly remove it but I think if I can at least point someone into the direction of safe use its better than someone going into it with no knowledge whatsoever.

https://www.erowid.org/plants/poppy/opium_poppy_cultivation/opium_poppy_cultivation3.shtml

Hopefully this doesn't violate the "synth" rule....

Hey man, quick question, how many pods did you do at a time and what would you reccommend to a newcomer to them. (Plenty other Opiate experience)

Also when is the best time to harvest?

They come in so many sizes and with such differing levels of actives, that it is hard to say.
But if we talk in terms of ground material, i wouldnt advise dosing over ~2 tablespoons of ground pod material.

I used to harvest when the poppies dropped their petals and the crowns of the pods rose upwards.
Different people seem to have different approaches on when to harvest - sometimes i would be impatient and pick them as soon as the petals fell off the flowers, exposing the pods.
Kinda hard to ignore, after germinating the seed and watching the plants grow for months :)

I'd still say bleed the pods for opium, which can still be used for tea, and then dry the pods when they are done bleeding. When you want pod tea make the tea from the pod and add opium for desired strength.

I was thinking along the same lines. Bleed the latex and dry it for smoking. That still leaves plenty of active alkaloids in the pods to make tea as well. Double-dipping!

Man I wish I could try some when you finished.... I'll find a guide I think will help you

Edit: If only you could share

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2246638/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

Last edited:
Sweet, thanks for the link! I'll share but I doubt you want to come here for it....Maine is a sucky ass place. I guess it isn't too bad when your smoking opium and drinking tea but still....its Maine :(