• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Poppers (isoamyl nitrite) as sleep aid?

fugme

Bluelighter
Hello,

Poppers are generally known to drop your blood pressure (as well as temporarily increase heartrate).

My question is this: would it act in a similiar way clonidine is off label prescribed for sleep.

Obviously i wouldn't use it everyday, but it helps to give that extra push to weed / antihistamines just to fall asleep and then the drugs themselves keep me asleep. Im trying to reduce benzo usage as ive been using them a lot past ~6 months.

I'm not sure I don't really have any experience with poppers. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will stop in.

Every time I hear that word I think of Hannibal Lecter giving one to that guy swinging around in his living room and then Lecter feeds a piece of the guy to his dog. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Have only had poppers twice in my life ( two in the same night ) and they lasted about 5 minutes each. And it stimulated me as opposed to relaxing me.

I've only had isobutyl nitrate, but the high is supposed to be the same. One brand is called 'rush' for a reason!! It never made me feel sleepy, that's for sure. To me it's more like a short acting, stimulating dissociative.

Not sure. They are short acting, so perhaps at most it could help you fall asleep.

That is my point exactly. if i'm really having trouble sleeping or going trough benzo withdrawal (insomnia only, nothing else), then things like weed or anthistamines will make me drowsy but i just won't be able to fall asleep. Once im actually asleep all is well, so i think it could really help wean off benzos easily (in my scenario). The problem with benzos is if you have a high tolerance they won't make you THAT drowsy and thus i just continue to relax without going to sleep, and the quality of sleep is nowhere near the same level when you try your first benzo. This is one of the things that could help me wean of benzos and i hope it might help someone in the future who will be reading this. i will do some more tests and report back.

I've only had isobutyl nitrate, but the high is supposed to be the same. One brand is called 'rush' for a reason!! It never made me feel sleepy, that's for sure. To me it's more like a short acting, stimulating dissociative.

I only have predominantly amyl nitrite mixture with some other popper (1-butanol) and isoaamyl alcohol (3-methyl). I'm not sure what exactly is in the "rush" formula, maybe that's a branding name, but it might to be specifically formulated for sexual activities.

As far as stimulation goes that's only heartbeat increase and it drops and it drops off fairly quickly. the actual low blood pressure effects last longer.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that would work well. I've only had isopropyl nitrate, so I don't know how that compares, but as I've understood it, the different poppers nitrites are pretty similar in action.

Have you tried poppers?
Isopropyl just feels like you are super-fucked for about a minute or two, then it's gone. Within five minutes you're baseline, completely.

it's more like a short acting, stimulating dissociative.
I agree with simstim.

Poppers are cheap to buy, so you could always try. But I'm having a hard time thinking it will help particularly.

The use of these combined with anything from weed, alcohol, psychedelics, dissociatives or stimulants etc is purely enhancing and very short lived. Further it's hedonistic and not much more unless one benefits from its relaxant benefit for sex. It is so short lived it cannot be used as you hope. Best of luck though, you could try and its not likely to be harmful to experiment

The use of these combined with anything from weed, alcohol, psychedelics, dissociatives or stimulants etc is purely enhancing and very short lived. Further it's hedonistic and not much more unless one benefits from its relaxant benefit for sex. It is so short lived it cannot be used as you hope. Best of luck though, you could try and its not likely to be harmful to experiment
If you have a particular MTHFR mutation, as I do, it is incredibly harmful to use poppers as they rapidly deplete B-12 and prevent the body from absorbing it (hence taking a supplement after use is a waste of money). This can cause neurological symptoms such as numbness, tingling, depression, brain fog, fatigue, and in extreme cases, paralysis (B-12 deficiency often happens to post-bariatric surgery patients who do not supplement correctly due to an inability to obtain or absorb sufficient quantities of most micronutrients through diet alone). B-12 is also water soluble (you piss it out and have to replenish frequently, either through diet or supplements that are most bioavailable to you) even the average person without this mutation eating an average diet would likely still become deficient given enough time using.

I'm not saying if you use poppers with a particular frequency that you definitely will or will not have B-12 deficiency symptoms. I mean to provide information that some reading this thread may not know - just a lil something to keep in mind re harm reduction...healthy diet hydration sleep etc etc you know already.

I can't imagine that would work well. I've only had isopropyl nitrate, so I don't know how that compares, but as I've understood it, the different poppers nitrites are pretty similar in action.

Have you tried poppers?
Isopropyl just feels like you are super-fucked for about a minute or two, then it's gone. Within five minutes you're baseline, completely.

I agree with simstim.

Poppers are cheap to buy, so you could always try. But I'm having a hard time thinking it will help particularly.

i have 1 popper (amyl nitrite) like i said in the OP.

As far testing it out, i haven't done that yet, because i had to wake up early this week and had a lot of work to do so i couldn't risk it; also you guys did made me question myself with the supposed energizing properties so that was another reason i didn't want to risk it. Either way, i usually took 2 proper whiffs, one in each nostril and overall didn't exceed 4-6 total per day (session) and it did make feel tired / washed out and thus sleepier. i'll know more next week when i conduct some tests.