• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Polydrug Dependence and Possible W/D

Just had a 3 shot drink. Nausea easing up and my anxiety is settling.

The Xanax helped but not as much as this drink. I can't talk to my doctor because he doesn't know about my dependence problems and would discontinue my Xanax if he knew I drank on top of it.

I need to stop. I am hoping a taper will work but don't k ow if I have the self control to not go buy booze even if my wife is rationing what we have.

Any ideas of what I can do or who I can talk to? I guess I can go see a different doctor I don't like doc shopping.

You could find a therapist who helps people work on their alcohol use. Might take some effort, but it would be better than trying to do it alone.

Even better, could you find a psychiatrist to get help from? At least they could provide you safer meds to stabilize you off the booze and detox (diazepam or Librium).

You’d just need to find someone will to work on an outpatient basis if you don’t want to go inpatient (that shouldn’t be too hard, but again might take a little effort given how little most doctors know about using diazepam to detox someone off alcohol).

You don’t need to inform you GP if you’re concerned about how it would affect your care from them. Getting a psychiatrist or therapist to work on the alcohol stuff wouldn’t be doctor shopping. Actually, this sort of thing would be a very skillful and appropriate use of the system.

You really sound like you’d benefit from some professional support. If your current doctor isn’t willing to help or you don’t feel comfortable working with them on this, it’s a great idea to find someone else who will you’d be comfortable working with.

It would be a great idea to learn more about what you’re up against. Check this out: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/management-of-moderate-and-severe-alcohol-withdrawal-syndromes

Really need to add something about alcohol withdrawal and detox to the SL directory...

In other news, would you consider some kind of treatment program? I have seen very good results from people doing this on an outpatient basis working with a psychiatrist and therapist, but an outpatient program might also be helpful.

As it is with all this stuff though, it’s entirely you call (making up your own mind if up to you). Could we help answer any questions or concerns you have about working with a professional on this?

I've been to over 7 rehab and hospitals for substance abuse. While I learned a lot of coping skills and heard tons of great advice, I also realized that they can only teach so much. Going back is just going to do nothing's but abstain me for a while because I cannot physically get ahold of it.

Will a psychiatrist and my GP be able to see each others records? This sounds very useful.

If you are in the United States, your medical records cannot be released to anyone without your written authorization and signature. If you authorize it, your psychiatrist would be able to share your chart with your GP. Not that it's a guarantee of the doctor's competence, but if you are in the United States, I would start by looking for psychiatrists that are certified by either the American Society of Addition Medicine or the American Board of Addiction Medicine. A psychiatrist would also be able to give you a referral to a psychologist as well. And FWIW, I finally went to a PhD clinical psychologist and the difference between him and all the other therapists I've seen before was night and day. All the therapists I had prior to seeing the clinical psychologist seemed really lightweight in comparison.

So I had one beer total yesterday. By this morning I was very nauseas and having significant tremors. Kinda confused as to where I was for a bit (I forgot I was in my bed at my house for a minute or so). Wife bought me a six pack and felt much better but still so exhausted. I took 20mg of vyvanse to help the lethargy.
I'm nervous about using the amps during even minor alcohol WD. Is it safe to take during this time?

Interesting reading about the twitching, one of the first times I tried Xanax I ordered 28 2mg from india back in the good old days of the clearnet i remember the pills where a lavender colour rugby ball. i knew what xanax was but had no idea it was addictive, i took 1mg-2mg at night to sleep for over a month when I ran out i had eye twitches and muscle twitches but I was to naive to understand that it was a withdrawal.

Yeah the eye spasms are damn annoying. It's strange that some sites list the eye spasms as a side effect of the benzos, but I believe they are symptoms of withdrawal.

Been about 4hrs since my last drink, starting to sweat and be cold ugh this sucks. Any good otc comfort meds out there for dealing with this? I'm already very tolerant to kratom and benzos. And I have cannabis but it doesn't help for that long.

There's not really anything OTC that can help much, but you do have alprazolam, right? That should help since you're already taking it medically anyway. Also a B complex with heavy doses of thiamine (B1) and niacin (B3) in particular can help, as will Vitamin C, Vitamin E, magnesium and garlic. Also eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, protein and whole grains.

Drinking again. Half a handle so far. Feeling hopeless and just don't give a shit about it anymore.

Mr. Deeds, half a handle is almost a liter. Is an inpatient detox out of the question?

Yes I am afraid inpatient is not an option. I'm the sole provider for my family. I cannot afford to be out of work even for a second.

Is it really that severe?
When I'm drinking it honestly doesn't feel like that much alcohol (even though i know most people don't drink like I do or take 3mg of alprazolam on top of it).

Am I underestimating the amount of liquor I am consuming?

I have always read that the most severe WD symptoms appear about 24hrs after the last drink. I have experienced extreme nausea and confusion and tachycardia and other things, but no seizures or DTs.

Is the Xanax possibly keeping the true withdrawal at bay even though i am tolerant to it as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the Xanax is probably keeping you from experiencing the worst withdrawal symptoms. But that's not the only reason you should detox under a physician's supervision (it can be done outpatient). Your alcohol consumption is extreme (I know - the last time I went into the hospital, I drank an entire handle of vodka in a 24 hr period) and you need a blood panel done which will test your liver function. Tolerance and WD are unrelated. Just because you are able to hold your liquor doesn't mean WD can't be brutal. The amount of alcohol you're consuming combined with the benzo puts you at serious risk of a seizure. Please seek medical help.

Aihfl can I PM you? I have some questions about all this that I find a little too personal to post publicly. You really seem to know what you are talking about and I am really trying to stop this crap.

Yes absolutely you can PM me. Unfortunately, I have been an out of control alcoholic for about ten years. I've put together stretches lasting anywhere from 6-18 months sober but never any longer than that. I'm coming up on a month here in two days.

Last edited: