• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Poly Drug Addicts: Order of Difficulty

w01fg4ng

Bluelighter
We all have different responses to different drugs. For those who have been addicted to multiple drugs, which drugs were most difficult for you to quit? Can you enumerate your experiences?

My list of drugs I've quit after, or current, an addiction are (in order of most difficult to easiest):

1. Benzos
2. Nicotine
3. Heroin
4. Alcohol
5. Cannabis
6. Morphine
7. Poppy Pods
8. Caffeine

1. Heroin
2. Buprenorphine
3. Oxycodone
4. Cannabis
5. Cocaine
6. Alcohol

Those are the only drugs I’ve ever had what could be considered addictive use.

-GC

1. Benzos (unable to quit thus far and I think I will be a lifer cause I am using them 20 years now)
2. Morphine - most painful
3. Buprenorphine - mix of pain and mental anguish coupled wit long duration of withdrawal makes it close to morphine
4. Oxycodone
5. Cocaine
6. Nicotine - I had smoked for 10 years weith 2 years of no smoking and relapse and in next 15 years I have been clean 80% of the time. At the moment trying to quit 3 month binge
7. Amphetamine Sulphate
8. MDMA
9. Tramadol
10. Cannabis
11. Classic psychedelics (LSD, mashrooms, DMT) - definitely fell into the rabbit hole that there is The Final Answer somewhere in that realm and went into circles too often
12. Kratom
13. Alcohol - other drugs just made my interest in alcohol to just fall away

Other drugs I either didn't even try or have just replaced (like going from methadone to buprenorphine).

Assuming I have a full physical and/or psychological dependence:

1. Benzos
2. Heroin
3. Alcohol
4. Other opioids/bupe
5. Kratom
6. Nicotine
7. Cannabis
8. Meth
9. Psychedelics
10. Dissos

I find it difficult to objectively compare some of these, so many factors and nuances.

Nicotine
Benzos/Alcohol
Nicotine
Meth
Nicotine
Cannabis
(I "quit" Cannabis regularly. I start and stop and it does take an effort of will to stop even after a couple days of use.)
Nicotine

Psychedelics aren't addicting for me. I did overuse for a time, but kinda just stopped that because I felt like it. They are the shit, likely because you have to bring some effort to the table yourself.

I never got strung out on Opiates. I often joked that I cycled through all the addictions in my life, but now realize that I've avoided the big one.

Last edited:
As a life-long non-smoker, I've found it interesting to observe that I've known several heavy drinkers and heavy heroin users who've got past their 'main addiction' but still can't leave the ciggies alone. Come across studies that also show that for very many people the nicotine habit seems to be harder to quit than even a big alcohol or hard drug habit.

... And yet, while you're expected to forever define yourself by a past addiction in certain circles as an ex-alcoholic or ex-junkie, nobody ever feels obliged to refer to themselves constantly as an 'ex-smoker' after they've given up nicotine. Not logically consistent, that.

As a life-long non-smoker, I've found it interesting to observe that I've known several heavy drinkers and heavy heroin users who've got past their 'main addiction' but still can't leave the ciggies alone. Come across studies that also show that for very many people the nicotine habit seems to be harder to quit than even a big alcohol or hard drug habit.

... And yet, while you're expected to forever define yourself by a past addiction in certain circles as an ex-alcoholic or ex-junkie, nobody ever feels obliged to refer to themselves constantly as an 'ex-smoker' after they've given up nicotine. Not logically consistent, that.

It isn't so much the nicotine as the ritual. I'm a cigarette monster but my (cigarette) smoking drops dramatically when I smoke meth. That said, nicotine does raise dopamine a little, meth a lot. (I need to consult my "bible" re what nicotine does; I think it affects three neurotransmitter systems).

Interestingly, they've noticed people in psych wards tend to smoke a LOT and it's something to do with their medication.. Anti-psychotics? Which decrease dopamine.

But the ritual is a much bigger part of smoking addiction than people realise.

"Three of the four elements are shared by all creatures, but fire was a gift to humans alone. Smoking cigarettes is as intimate as we can become with fire without immediate excruciation. Every smoker is an embodiment of Prometheus, stealing fire from the gods and bringing it on back home.

We smoke to capture the power of the sun, to pacify Hell, to identify with the primordial spark, to feed on the arrow of the volcano. It's not the tobacco we're after but the fire. When we smoke, we are performing a version of the fire dance, a ritual as ancient as lightning."

--Tom Robbins

I doubt I will ever stop smoking *something* so..

1. Cigarettes
2. Alcohol
3. Benzos
4. Oxycodone
5. Methamphetamine

Im surprised about how much kind of opies you have acces to in USA. Here in spain no oxys no morphine(only if càncer or several pain,no sell it in the street) no hidrocodone
NO dilaudid no fentanyl(only medical use).
Methadone and buprenorphine only at medical places given to heroin addicts.
You can get opium from the fields easy.Ive been two times and thats how i began in opies.

1.heroin, I still use it. 4 times to rehab. IVed.
2.benzos,I use it for slep.I abuse só its my mum who give me the pills everyday
3.opium best drug Ive ever take. Turned to H when I finished my existences.
4.methadone you can taper easy
5.coke hard psicològical addiction.IVing is terrible to stop.
6.nicotine easy to stop for me
7.weed I stoped after an abusing use after a pànic attack
8.MDMA and LSD never cause me addiction.

Peace&Love

1. caffeine (I can also admit that there is not much pressure giving it up even tho it sometimes decreases my life quality)
2. alcohol
3. weed
4. amphetamine (always sneaking into my life and then leaving when I get really fed up to tweaking)
5. benzos (so far, but let's wait for my first relapse)
6. opiates (so far, but let's wait for the beginning of addiction to really get on, lol. Or maybe I should just quit completely so I can use them after surgery without withdrawals some day, that would be really smart)

It isn't so much the nicotine as the ritual. I'm a cigarette monster but my (cigarette) smoking drops dramatically when I smoke meth. That said, nicotine does raise dopamine a little, meth a lot. (I need to consult my "bible" re what nicotine does; I think it affects three neurotransmitter systems).

Interestingly, they've noticed people in psych wards tend to smoke a LOT and it's something to do with their medication.. Anti-psychotics? Which decrease dopamine.

But the ritual is a much bigger part of smoking addiction than people realise.

"Three of the four elements are shared by all creatures, but fire was a gift to humans alone. Smoking cigarettes is as intimate as we can become with fire without immediate excruciation. Every smoker is an embodiment of Prometheus, stealing fire from the gods and bringing it on back home.

We smoke to capture the power of the sun, to pacify Hell, to identify with the primordial spark, to feed on the arrow of the volcano. It's not the tobacco we're after but the fire. When we smoke, we are performing a version of the fire dance, a ritual as ancient as lightning."

--Tom Robbins

I doubt I will ever stop smoking *something* so..

1. Cigarettes
2. Alcohol
3. Benzos
4. Oxycodone
5. Methamphetamine
Nicotine isn't psychoactive ; however what it does do is cause some physical effects and interactions whereby it gives you a kind of 'mini - withdrawal' cycle. Just observe a chronic chain-smoker, if he doesn't get another cigarette in a set time after the last one, he'll get jittery and irritable.

... And yes the pure behavioural conditioning factor is HUGE with cigarettes. Like, if you always smoke with the intention to relax, or in a relaxed situation, sooner or later that association flips over to 'I'm now smoking therefore I am relaxed.' And because of the mere expectation you will feel that way and get reinforcement.

Last edited:
Well withdrawing from benzos was obviously
1) tough
2) hard
But once I had made my mind and observed positive results, I had no doubts about doing it. But I couldnt even start withdrawing before I quit work. It is all relative OFC but ive had more relapses with speed-if benzo relapses werent so much more serious I would have had plenty of them tho.

But I am afraid that if I develop dependence once more, i wont have anywhere as much motivation to get off anymore.

Nicotine isn't psychoactive ; however what it DOES do is cause some physical effects and interactions whereby it gives you a kind of 'mini - withdrawal' cycle. Just observe a chronic chain-smoker, if he doesn't get another cigarette in a set time after the last one, he'll get jittery and irritable.

... And yes the pure behavioural conditioning factor is HUGE with cigarettes. Like, if you always smoke with the intention to relax, or in a relaxed situation, sooner or later that association flips over to 'I'm now smoking therefore I am relaxed.' And because of the mere expectation you will feel that way and get reinforcement.

It stimulates acetylcholine, noradrenalin and dopamine.

Irritable.. In July I went to my daughter's 21st with my dad and his wife so I was stuck in the car with them for ten hours. They aren't sympathetic to my smoking habit (though dad lets me smoke in the car when he's by himself), so I had to go hours without a cig while just sitting there.

Thank god for my phone because part of it is the hand-to-mouth thing so if your hands are occupied you don't think about it as much. Also your brain obviously. But there were times I felt like I was going to explode, especially when they were dithering like old people do, searching for an acceptable place to get coffee or something 😖

It stimulates acetylcholine, noradrenalin and dopamine.
Yes it does ; the reason I maintain my argument is that you do not get actual alterations of consciousness on cigarettes. Smoking does not in any way profoundly affect or influence either your relation to your surroundings or your experience of yourself in the way that other drugs do.
It DOES however cause a mild physical form of dependence.

Yes it does ; the reason I maintain my argument is that you do not get actual alterations of consciousness on cigarettes. Smoking does not in any way profoundly affect or influence either your relation to your surroundings or your experience of yourself in the way that other drugs do.

Ah yeah true.

Nicotine isn't psychoactive ; however what it DOES do is cause some physical effects and interactions whereby it gives you a kind of 'mini - withdrawal' cycle. Just observe a chronic chain-smoker, if he doesn't get another cigarette in a set time after the last one, he'll get jittery and irritable.

Nicotine is psuedo psychoactive, but tobacco is definitely psychoactive with the MAOIs and stuff, but this becomes minimal with tolerance. I remember the first time I smoked a cig I smoked it like a joint and took huge hits. I definitely got some sort of weird high. I was sinking through my couch, almost like tactile hallucinations. I also had this really weird visual when I closed my eyes of an infinitely expanding and shrinking outline of a person. Bit of an odd experience that never happened again. I had no other drugs in my system.

I agree, I think nicotine is by far the most psychologically addictive drug out there, which is why it's so difficult to quit and why cessation products like nic patches have low efficacy. Objectively, the physical dependence withdrawal isn't bad at all compared to other drugs. I've cold turkeyd off cigs several times, it's only really bad when you get trigged which happens when you can't smoke a cig at your habitual times (coffee, after food, etc).

I switched to vaping 5 years ago, but I feel like I'm more addicted to nicotine than ever. It's at the point where when I wake up randomly through the night I puff my vape and then go right back to sleep... :oops:

Don't know if it's the nicotine but cigarettes made me really high the first 10 times or so. I would feel very tall and straight while also feeling very heavy and solid. A prominent rush, passing quickly in less than a minute after lighting up.

Im 43 with 25 years of nicotine use. Today I got a high from smoking one cigarret with empty stomach and cafeine in my veins.
It felt dizzy and I didnt expected. It Was like my firts cigarretes. So definetly its a drug one of the most addictives and popular in this days. Alcohol and nicotine, a legal combo that you can get whenever you want aa

Don't know if it's the nicotine but cigarettes made me really high the first 10 times or so. I would feel very tall and straight while also feeling very heavy and solid. A prominent rush, passing quickly in less than a minute after lighting up.
Wow, that's pretty outlandish. They only made me very sick Xd