• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ [POLL] Your Psychedelic Use: Spiritual or Recreational?

How would you characterize your use of psychedelics?

• Strictly recreational

Votes: 26 5.9%
  • Recreational, but open to spiritual use

Votes: 196 44.6%
  • Spiritual, but open to having fun

Votes: 206 46.9%
  • Strictly spiritual

Votes: 11 2.5%

• Total voters
TUT:

BUt I ask again...why is Methamphetamine or Alprazolam thus any less deserving of respect and seriousness then Lysergic Acid Diethylamide or P.cubenus? They are both powerful chemicals on your brain too, just with a different set of mind altering powers. the feeling of being all powerful and content can be very mind expanding too, as can a feeling of utter peace and safety, which both of these "less inspired" as many psychonauts would call them, drugs can give you.

I dont see what makes 5ht2a agonists more deserving organic compounds then dop/epi releasers, GABA agonists or for that matter, methyl ethyl ketone...

I don't think anyone said they can't be profound necessarily..

Only not in some people's opinion

And since this is the psychedelic forum, that would explain why we are discussing the spiritual and recreational properties of psychedelics and not opioids/stimulants/etc..

I'd say that the psyce's are for sure FUN..what I am getting at is they are not "better" then other drugs...as alot of psyce heads seem to imply .(I find potheads and trippers are always putting down the other classes of drugs...but I've never seen a junkie say methamp is less valuable then heroin, or a tweeker say the inverse)

perhaps I just dont buy the spiritual thing...I love dissassostives...but they really are just a recreational pass time. nothing that I think or see on kitty or illy is real...its just chemicals storming in my brain, keeping me entertained, no different from any other type of drug.

eh, to each there own..

I find psychedelics more valuable personally because they seem to have less negative effects in me when used in the long term. And if you do abuse them over a couple weeks period you can stop doing them cold turkey with no withdrawal or psychological craving (for me..).
They also don't leave me feeling like crap on the come down like stimulants always do for me.

Overall I feel like they are more valuable for me because they feel so much healthier to me and because they cause me to be more introspective and at awe in the world while other substances tend to either shut out the outer world or make me feel delusional about my position in the world.

adrian89987 said:
eh, to each there own..

I find psychedelics more valuable personally because they seem to have less negative effects in me when used in the long term. And if you do abuse them over a couple weeks period you can stop doing them cold turkey with no withdrawal or psychological craving (for me..).
They also don't leave me feeling like crap on the come down like stimulants always do for me.

Overall I feel like they are more valuable for me because they feel so much healthier to me and because they cause me to be more introspective and at awe in the world while other substances tend to either shut out the outer world or make me feel delusional about my position in the world.
And psychedelics don't? All drugs are fucking with the chemicals in your brain altering the view of yourself in the world.

rangrz said:
I'd say that the psyce's are for sure FUN..what I am getting at is they are not "better" then other drugs...as alot of psyce heads seem to imply .(I find potheads and trippers are always putting down the other classes of drugs...but I've never seen a junkie say methamp is less valuable then heroin, or a tweeker say the inverse)

perhaps I just dont buy the spiritual thing...I love dissassostives...but they really are just a recreational pass time. nothing that I think or see on kitty or illy is real...its just chemicals storming in my brain, keeping me entertained, no different from any other type of drug.

QFT

No they don't

They don't inflate my ego to the point that I think I'm just awesome and can do anything, or make me feel like I'm god (in the biblical sort).

The psychedelic state helps me to realize that I'm just like all the other animals that have evolved on this rock, and that we are all just made of atoms, no better than each other. The state also helps me to appreciate being alive all the better. I don't receive delusions of grandeur from psychs.
edit: I should have stated better in my previous post in that I was speaking of the ego-inflating delusions primarily.

Last edited:
as adrian mentioned, i was never intending on implying that i think non-psychedelics are not deserving of respect.

personally, i choose not to consume things which i know to be harmful or distracting, and so do not partake of the other psychoactives mentioned (heroin, etc). i do not consume psychoactives to 'get high' or to experience a particular effect or rush. as i mentioned i meet with what i refer to as 'psychedelic teachers' as a means of guidance.

this is not to say that someone else doesn't get guidance from heroin or meth. i've never tried either of these, but from the 'hard' drugs i've tried in the past, i Personally did not get anything but an effect or a rush from (and when i tried these it was open-mindedly for i had not yet developed such a conservative and particular drug-intake approach).

as i said i spend most of my time meditating with or without psychoactivce intake. so this would explain my natural preconceptions and biases towards what i feel necessary to put into my body. if someone else wants to consume things for fun, all is well, i simply do not feel the need to or use in consuming things as a means of attaining fun or a particular effect.

Spiritual, but open to having fun
I love psychedelics, and even when I do them with other people, it's a very spiritual experience. But of course I have fun on them !

I chose three: psychedelics are profound tools for achieving states of consciousness that are spiritual, paradigm shifting, ecstatic--and, yes, horrific-- yet almost always to some degree enlightening. However I'm no puritan and see no incongruence between spirituality and hedonism ;)

Strictly recreational. Not religious or spiritual at all. I dont believe in any god and I dont think I am one whilst tripping, or that I'm better than anyone else. I suppose that stops that line of thought... if that makes sense.

Its just something different.

BuzzJunkie said:
Strictly recreational. Not religious or spiritual at all. I dont believe in any god and I dont think I am one whilst tripping, or that I'm better than anyone else. I suppose that stops that line of thought... if that makes sense.

Its just something different.
In the k-hole I always have some sort of spiritual revelation but I don't give a crap about it, I do it for fun only. After I snap out of it I laugh about the spiritual things I experienced whilst in the hole.

^i used to think this way, but then i started meeting people (seasoned trippers) who didn't. at first i was very surprised, now i've sort of gotten used to it. i don't look at tripping as something mostly recreational, but i understand that perspective.

Over time as I got hundreds of trips under my belt, I must say it turned more recreational, simply because it became a lot of fun as it got less difficult, and I had already experienced so much that there was rarely something new to experience. Currently I'm trying to get back to where it will have an impact on me again, but the last two times I tripped were mostly recreational as well. Although I think I need to be in a better setting (that is, outdoors deep in nature, rather than inside).

I'd have to say between 2 and 3, but leaning more so on the side of 3. I prefer tripping on my own, and if I do trip with anyone else, only my best friends.

To be honest, I have no idea what 'spiritual' means outside the context of theistic belief systems. I value the introspective aspect of tripping, and I feel that I learn something, whether big and life-changing or small but useful, every time I trip. That said, I would rarely (if ever) acquire, plan and use psychedelics if I expected the experience to be unpleasant. Tripping is certainly a distinct category of action for me than, say, deciding to spend the night drinking and smoking (which would, of course, be purely social/recreational), but I don't think I can separate the 'valuable' part from the 'fun' part and weigh the importance of each in my decisions to trip. Tripping is one experience that serves both purposes, and I trip for the experience.

That said, I chose #2. I have become somewhat more cynical regarding the "spiritual" value of psychedelics over the years. Like most, I started my forays into psychedelia with the belief that every trip imparted profound insights into the nature of consciousness and reality, which were simply very hard to integrate and remember. Since then, I've come to the belief that the 'difficulty' remembering these concepts is due to the fact that they were never fully developed concepts in the first place; tripping allows fragmented thoughts to appear complete and blurs the line between thought and feeling. Based on this, I now view the post-trip analysis as much more significant than the trip itself for introspective purposes; the analysis does not merely allow one to integrate and recall what you already discovered during the trip itself; it is the process by which you interpret the raw, confusing bliss of the trip into ideas and concepts that will be of value to your egoic existence. In other words, integrating a trip is not just taking the wisdom you have already received from the trip and putting it into usable form; it _creates_ wisdom, and without analysis, the trip itself has no meaning or wisdom to speak of (although I can't imagine how it would be possible to have 0 analysis of an event as significant as a trip). This reflects my general philosophic move away from a sort of transcendental postmodernism to the more analytic tradition of psychoanalysis.

haven't tripped in a while, but often had spiritual experiences beyond what i previously thought of spiritual as. These happened about anywhere...shows/festivals surrounded by tons of others...in the woods with a few close friends....or in a dark room in silence by myself. Frankly, i never understood how people could repeatedly use the stuff for recreation...but did attempt several times to keep going several days in a row trying for repeat experiences with no luck. On the other hand, everyone who said fun is spirituality...

i'm jealous :p :)

Recreational, but open to spiritual use

I guess it's because I'm new to such experience, but this far I have trouble "letting go"... I am constantly aware that I'm tripping/high/whatever and I'm wasting a lot of headspace trying to control what is going on... so, no deep revelations this far...

you need a fifth (middle) response that sais "you can escape neither, they are both parts of the expereince that intention cannot escape" it is what it is you know. kinda go hand in hand.. and i bet that would be the most voted on out of the five