• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Police unwrap kava trade in NT

The authorities are busying themselves with seizing herbal supplements now?

"Police unwrap aloe vera trade in NY."

Am I the only one who sees notices the outright criminal absurdity of this?

Kava use in Australia

Kava and the law

Please note: This information does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied upon in this way. The information is correct at the time of publication. For information specific to your situation contact a legal aid service in your state or territory.

The import, advertising and sale of kava in Australia are strictly controlled. Kava is listed as a controlled substance under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations Act.

As of 26 June 2007 commercial importations of kava are no longer allowed, except for medical or scientific purposes.

Passengers coming into Australia, who are over the age of 18 years, are allowed to bring 2 kg of kava without a license or permit, provided it is in their accompanied baggage.

Media Release: AFP Officers intercept 90kg of kava at Darwin Airport

Australian Federal Police officers conducting routine patrols near Darwin Airport have intercepted approximately 90kg of kava.

The operation began when officers observed a 4WD vehicle blocking lanes on an access road near the airport early on Sunday morning. The 33-year-old driver’s details were checked and it will be alleged he was driving while suspended.

A search of the man’s vehicle discovered a number of large bags each containing packages of what was later confirmed as kava.

The street value of the kava is estimated to be more than $89,000. The kava was allegedly destined for a remote community and is one of the largest ever seizures of kava in the Northern Territory.

The man was taken into custody and charged with driving a vehicle while unlicensed, possess a commercial quantity of kava and supply a commercial quantity of kava under the Kava Management Act NT.

He was remanded to appear before Darwin Court today (Monday 21 October 2013).

This is the third large seizure of kava this year in the Northern Territory. The AFP hopes that this seizure will disrupt the illegal trade of kava within the Territory.

Kava comes from the root of the pepper plant and acts a sedative and depending on the strength, can have a psychoactive effect. Since 1997 possessing and selling kava without a licence is illegal in the Northern Territory.

http://www.afp.gov.au/media-centre/...intercept-90kg-of-kava-at-Darwin-Airport.aspx

this is retarded. but its just as stupid as busting people for marijuana. they are both plants that have pleasant intoxicating effects, are not dangerous unless you do something dangerous while intoxicated and have few if any negative long term effects. yep busting people for plants. we are a free society yall.

I think it'll be funny in prison when one of these guys is talking to other drug offenders and one says "I got busted growing 500 plants", another says I got caught with 300 kgs of mdma", what about you sir "I was smuggling kava".

So sad that law enforcement even wastes their time with this bull shit.

I love how one sentence it is one of the largest seizures of Kava in the NT ever and the next it is only the third largest this year, I guess the two aren't mutually exclusive but the first sentence seems a bit redundant as you go on.

I echo others sentiments about the ridiculousness of this, the worst part of it all is that really it is racist in my view. It is not illegal to possess or use kava in Australia, but in some remote Aboriginal communities (where alcohol is also banned) they are enforcing bans on it. It seems ridiculously biased and racist to me to say, the rest of Australia can handle this drug but Aboriginal Australian's in remote communities can not. If I recall correctly they actually introduced kava to these people quite a number of years ago as an alternative to alcohol and now they have banned it just like alcohol.

^ thats very interesting drug_mentor. i was not aware that kava in australia was associated negatively with and was prevalent within indigenous communities (as an alternative to the alcohol abuse issue). im going to have to research this topic some more now, as it may shed some light onto the sudden crackdowns and "busts" on an otherwise legal and therapeutic substance.

...kytnism...:|

I love how one sentence it is one of the largest seizures of Kava in the NT ever and the next it is only the third largest this year,

Not sure I read it the same way, this latest bust says -

The street value of the kava is estimated to be more than $89,000. The kava was allegedly destined for a remote community and is one of the largest ever seizures of kava in the Northern Territory.

then goes on to say -

This is the third large seizure of kava this year in the Northern Territory.

That's if you are talking about the last article I posted, I'm probably wrong, I didnt really suss it all too much.

^ thats very interesting drug_mentor. i was not aware that kava in australia was associated negatively with and was prevalent within indigenous communities (as an alternative to the alcohol abuse issue). im going to have to research this topic some more now, as it may shed some light onto the sudden crackdowns and "busts" on an otherwise legal and therapeutic substance.

Read some more of this thread, I posted a few things I found online regarding kava in Aus.

I've had it a few times in fiji, it's a nice mellow stone, but nothing major, and we had heaps from different places. Loads of the locals get really red eyes I noticed, but still I thought the effects were very weak really. Still nice tho. Tastes pretty shitty from what I recall, but sometimes left a numbing sensation in the lips or mouth area lol.

i will, thankyou.

i have purchased kava online a few times and found it to a very relaxing night cap to enjoy while watching television or for late night reading, even though a very mild relaxant i still enjoyed the experience.