Police & under the influence of MDMA

4theluvofE

Bluelighter
Does anyone know the law well enough to tell exactly what cops can do at a rave or even when leaving a rave?? A friend I talked to said he went to an afterparty at somepersons house. Well the neighbors called the cops...and when they showed up supposedly stopped my friend who was outside and almost arrested him?? I can't say I believe this but let me finish real quick...So they stopped my friend who was outside, and of couse there was probably a cop in the house talking to people there, and they asked if he was on E...he said yes, pupils can't lie people :D Anyway, well the cop made him call his parents to come get him (because he was a minor) but he thought he could have gone to juvenille hall if it weren't for his honesty.

In short, my question is what can a cop do if your caught rolling?? (I live in the Western United States...I know laws are diff. for different locations..) If you have no pills on you but are under the influence, can you be arrested or what? I don't see how they can do this because cops know everybody inside a rave is rolling but don't do much. :\

/edited title and moved to Legal Q&A

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all your friend should have never admitted he was rolling. I don't care how dilated his pupils were, as long as he has nothing on him (ie rolls, pot,etc) he should say NO. Cops are very intimidating especially when your under 18. And it doesn't matter if they think your rolling or not as long as you are straight enough to talk to them without acting stupid they can't do a damn thing. Unless your friend was driving then he could give him a sobriety test which I'm pretty sure you could pass if you were able to drive. Cops will always try to get you to admit your on drugs so that they can arrest you. My advice is if you are approached by a cop do not admit to anything no matter what they say because if they have no evidence you have or are using drugs they can't do shit.

My friend was tripping balls and just got out of jail for possession of ecstasy and he was pulled over as he left the club. Eyes dilated, nervous he had all the symptoms and the cop interrogated him for 20 minutes and even searched his car. Found nothing and had to let him go. This is a true story. I have more just like it. Just don't keep your stash on you and don't admit to anything.

it doesn't matter if they think your rolling or not as long as you are straight enough to talk to them without acting stupid they can't do a damn thing

This is not true. In many states (California included), an officer may make an arrest when he or she has probable cause to believe that a person is under the influence of a controlled substance in a public place.

Objective signs of intoxication (dilated pupils, nystagmus, etc) are probable cause (in California) when an officer has completed a course of training in drug and under the influence recognition (11550 H&S in California).

X

Adam X said:
This is not true. In many states (California included), an officer may make an arrest when he or she has probable cause to believe that a person is under the influence of a controlled substance in a public place.

Objective signs of intoxication (dilated pupils, nystagmus, etc) are probable cause (in California) when an officer has completed a course of training in drug and under the influence recognition (11550 H&S in California).

X

I agree but he said his friend was just outside the house and If the only suspicious thing about him was dilated pupils I don't think that would be enough for the cop to make an arrest. If he was all fucked up and obviously rolling then yea of course the cop is going to arrest him or call his parents, but if he is just standing outside the house with dilated pupils then he would be dumb to admit he was rolling. Plus even if the cop had cause to believe he was on drugs or intoxicated he still did not have to admit to it and get himself in trouble.

What I want to know is why didn't the cop assume he was drunk? Why was his first question are you on E? Were there other people caught with it and thats why they were asking everyone? I think some parts of the story are missing.

Dilated pupils BY THEMSELVES are not sufficient to make an arrest, but they certainly warrant some further investigation. If this person had said that he takes 60mg of Ritalin, twice daily, by prescription, and that's why his pupils were dilated, much frustration would have been avoided...

X

Let's not stray too far off topic....

Adam X has answered this question well, but we'll leave this open for any additional questions or constructive comments.

I know it is a felony to provide false information (i.e. lie) to a police officer ... so if you were to deny that you were under the influence of a drug(s), but the officer knew for a fact you were, could you be arrested for the felony?

First, I'm not aware of any state in which it is a felony to provide false information to a peace officer. Secondly, the 5th amendment provides that no person can be forced to answer any question about their innocence or guilt.

Situations such as these could be easily avoided if people would remember the simple phrase:

"I take 60mg of Ritalin, twice a day, by prescription. It makes my pupils dilated, increases my pulse and causes me to grind my teeth."

Since a police officer has NO legal right to access your medical record and you have no obligation to provide this information, it's pretty rock solid.

X

My mistake; just the other night I was told that providing false information was a felony; in fact it is a class 1 misdemeanor in my state (A.R.S. 13-2907.01)

I wasn't with my friend when he got stopped, but yea I guess the whole house was an E party, and thats why the police decided to buckle down maybe>?

Now my question is what if the officer talking to somebody, has no doubt that the person is under the influence but they (the person being questioned) are still trying to lie about it. Is that a felony? Obstruction of justice or providing false information or something? Because I highly doubt ritalin makes your eyes jump around and ocassionally roll back...you know>? Sometimes its not possible to lie; cops are trained for these sorts of things and only get mad when you lie to them. I've seen plenty of Cops episodes where people weren't arrested but merely given a citation or something just because they were honest about having a pipe, or having some other sort of paraphrenalia (sp?)...what about that? OR COULD THAT BE A TRICK TO GET ALL OF US NOT TO LIE TO POLICE?? (NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!)

4theluvofE said:
OR COULD THAT BE A TRICK TO GET ALL OF US NOT TO LIE TO POLICE?? (NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!)

yep. it doesnt realy matter wat the cop thinks, hell he can think watever he wants. its proof he needs, and probable cause. if you say your on ritalin, how is he going to prove it. they dont even have the right to ask you for your prescriptian (under most circumstances) go here http://www.erowid.org/freedom/police/police.shtml read ALL this shit abotu cops, its very helpfull. I am sorry officer, i am in a hurry and have no time to talk. I do not consent to any warrentless searches. perfect excuses

Adam X said:
First, I'm not aware of any state in which it is a felony to provide false information to a peace officer. Secondly, the 5th amendment provides that no person can be forced to answer any question about their innocence or guilt.

Situations such as these could be easily avoided if people would remember the simple phrase:

"I take 60mg of Ritalin, twice a day, by prescription. It makes my pupils dilated, increases my pulse and causes me to grind my teeth."

Since a police officer has NO legal right to access your medical record and you have no obligation to provide this information, it's pretty rock solid.

X

Can you say that ketamine or coke or anything that is a white powder is ritalin? and that you have a perscription but you like to snort it? it sounds obscure but wouild it work?

^^^
I believe that taking a prescription drug in a way other than intended is against the law. (e.g. crushing up oxy)

Further, if you're caught with a suspicous white powder, especially if you're eyes are dialated, the cop could arrest you and simply wait to file exact charges until they find out what the drug is. Some may even be able to field test the powder on the spot.

Can you say that ketamine or coke or anything that is a white powder is ritalin? and that you have a perscription but you like to snort it? it sounds obscure but wouild it work?

Sure, you can say that, and be sure to get a good rate on your bail-bond...

X