• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Police Dispatch Logs and Crime Maps

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Anyone else find these interesting to look at sometimes or am I just weird? As far as dispatch logs at least here it's usually just the usual... Thefts, DUIS, traffic stops, etc. but every know and then you come across something weird. Like today was something listed as custodial interference. Not even sure what that is.

As far as crime maps and statistics I've found this site to be pretty cool. You can see the Google Streetview of an incident if you click on the icon and then click on more information...

http://www.spotcrime.com/or/eugene/churchill+area#eugene, oregon

On this one you can see where registered sex offenders live...

https://www.crimereports.com/

Last edited:
Custodial interference is like involving a minor (child). Usually it is when one parent interferes with the other parents rights as far as seeing or talking to a child...in some places it can also be (for example) when an above age boyfriend influences a girl to run away or be where she is not supposed to be.

Yeah, I looked it up. For some reason I was envisioning someone hassling a janitor. =D

Yes I am a moron sometimes.

My school used to have the best crime reports every week.

Thursday 1/23
Old hat
Someone on Fifth Street believed citations were only being issued to him because he was being discriminated against for wearing a beanie.

Smoking gun
Someone reported a group of people with neck tattoos smoking cigarettes. According to the reporter, they “did not look like a normal Davis crowd” because they did not answer her when she said hello.

Wtf ^, lmao.

That sex offender site is good to be aware of, especially if you have children. Gives you a little piece of mind, knowing where they live. I used to read the dispatch logs, but around my area, it's not even interesting anymore, it's so routine to hear/see about thefts, possessions, crack/herion, all that kind of shit.

I posted about it somewhere around here before, but my area has this little paper that you can buy for $1 called "Cuffed." It's got all the people that have been arrested in it & what their chargers were. I love looking at that thing... some of those mugshots are fucking HILARIOUS.

I posted about it somewhere around here before, but my area has this little paper that you can buy for $1 called "Cuffed." It's got all the people that have been arrested in it & what their chargers were. I love looking at that thing... some of those mugshots are fucking HILARIOUS.

Yeah we have something like that here, I can't remember where I saw it tho.

Wtf ^, lmao.

That sex offender site is good to be aware of, especially if you have children. Gives you a little piece of mind, knowing where they live. I used to read the dispatch logs, but around my area, it's not even interesting anymore, it's so routine to hear/see about thefts, possessions, crack/herion, all that kind of shit.

I absolutely hate that thing.

Buddy of mine slept with a girl in GA that lied about her age. Parents found out, statutory rape charge, prison from 2008 to 2013. Dude just got out and came home to Maryland and everyone's up in arms about his sex offender status.

Fuck that registry. I understand the purpose but I feel like not everybody on it deserves to be.

Oh, OP, I read the police reports every time my county's LEO agencies post them up. I've got a county sheriff, a town police, and state trooper arrest records and incident reports that can pass my time, and then if I want to check some serious violent crime out I just check out the reports for the county directly north of mine.

I started checking them out to see if any friends of mine had been arrested after sudden disappearances and what not, but it eventually just led into a way to pass the time and know the type of shit going on in my neighborhood without being involved with it anymore.

It's kind of irritating when you recognize a good portion of the names that are dropped in those reports/briefings, though...

Last edited:
Fuck that registry. I understand the purpose but I feel like not everybody on it deserves to be.

IDK, I think it still does more good than harm. If I had kids and was moving somewhere I would like to know where registered sex offenders lived just as a precaution.

You're probably right. I'm not a big fan of scarlet letters, though.

Yeah I hear where you're coming from. Apparently also in those magazines they post people that got arrested but sometimes the charges are dropped.

If I had kids and was moving somewhere I would like to know where registered sex offenders lived just as a precaution.

Thinking of it from a predator's POV - if you were going to abduct/rape/or otherwise fiddle with a kid, do you really think you'd be doing it anywhere close you where you lived? I'm not saying these people are criminal masterminds but I'm not sure how useful such information is in the public domain.

In England, where the paedo-hysteria is at absolute fever-pitch, leading to instances like this, where an innocent man was beaten and burned alive by a mob

Bijan Ebrahimi, a keen gardener, took pictures of local youths as they attacked his plants and intended to hand the photographs to police as evidence.
But instead officers were called when he was seen with the camera and he was led away for questioning as residents chanted “paedo, paedo”.
Officers realised their mistake at the police station and he was released, but rumours had already begun circulating that he was a child abuser and two days later he was beaten unconscious, dragged into the street and set on fire.

Lee James, 24, pleaded guilty to murder at Bristol Crown Court and his friend Stephen Norley, also 24, admitted assisting an offender after deciding to “take the law into their own hands”. The pair will be sentenced next month.

Both the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) and the local council have now launched reviews into the way the case was handled. Six police officers have been served notices of gross misconduct and three have been suspended by Avon and Somerset Police.

Related Articles
Sister: Ebrahimi murder could have been avoided 28 Nov 2013
Bijan Ebrahimi films killer threatening him 28 Nov 2013
Man hangs himself after vigilante paedophile claim 18 Sep 2013
Internet vigilante publishes database naming 10,000 paedophiles 05 Nov 2010
Paedophile may have been vigilante victim 10 Oct 2008
Paedophilia is a treatable illness 01 Jul 2013

Well the world isn't a perfect place obviously, and it sucks when innocent people get blamed for something they didn't do. But I still think I would like to know if there were any pedos living in the vicinity if I had kids. Just my opinion.

My dad loves to read them every week and so does my aunt. Usually the blotter has information if homes have been broken into or car thefts nearby, typical stuff. Last week they mentioned a woman who went into the market and walked out without paying for her groceries. A store employee tried to stop her from loading them up but she slammed the mini-van door on his hand and drove off. Pops was burning up the phone line after this one!

My dad loves to read them every week and so does my aunt. Usually the blotter has information if homes have been broken into or car thefts nearby, typical stuff. Last week they mentioned a woman who went into the market and walked out without paying for her groceries. A store employee tried to stop her from loading them up but she slammed the mini-van door on his hand and drove off. Pops was burning up the phone line after this one!

Lol! That's like a multiple-times-a-week occurrence here, and when/if the thieves get caught it's almost always 3 or 4 old folks from Prince George's County or DC.

I shit you not, the last one I remember reading about, the getaway driver was either 87 or 92 years old. Looked mean as hell in his mug shot, too, like "I told myself 60 years ago I'd never come back here again"-type angry.

Yeah I hear where you're coming from. Apparently also in those magazines they post people that got arrested but sometimes the charges are dropped.

They totally do. I believe that's why they're called things like incident reports and briefings instead of "Criminal List," lol. Innocent until proven guilty, but that doesn't mean you can't get charged with something you didn't do.

But I still think I would like to know if there were any pedos living in the vicinity if I had kids. Just my opinion.

Is there any evidence at all that these lists reduce incidences of sex crimes? I'd wager not - we are living in the post-truth age of the feelpionion, so anything goes really. I'm assuming even if we dug up evidence showing that these lists were ineffective or worse, you'd still feel like your opinion was valid? Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Surprise, surprise!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2820068/

Abstract
Sexual violence is a significant public health problem in the United States. In an effort to decrease the incidence of sexual assault, legislators have passed regulatory laws aimed at reducing recidivism among convicted sexual offenders. As a result, sex offenders living in the United States are bound by multiple policies, including registration, community notification, monitoring via a global positioning system, civil commitment, and residency, loitering, and Internet restrictions.

These policies have led to multiple collateral consequences, creating an ominous environment that inhibits successful reintegration and may contribute to an increasing risk for recidivism. In fact, evidence on the effectiveness of these laws suggests that they may not prevent recidivism or sexual violence and result in more harm than good.

These laws may also be limited by their focus on the prevention of sexual victimizations by strangers,25 a concept known as “stranger danger.” Levenson et al.26 surveyed members of the public to assess their perceptions of registered sex offenders and found that respondents believed approximately 42% of sexual crimes were committed by a stranger. However, findings from the Second National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and Thrownaway Children revealed that 115 stranger abductions occurred in the United States in 1999; in 56 of those cases, the victim was sexually assaulted, indicating that only a small percentage of sexually based crimes against children occur via stereotypical abductions. It is further estimated that 93% of sexually driven crimes are committed by a family member or someone known to the victim.4,27 The fear of “stranger danger” is misplaced and should not be used to justify the proliferation of registered sex offender laws.

Empirical research examining Megan's Law has generally indicated that community notification is not effective in preventing sexually based crimes24,29,39–46 and may actually create a context wherein the risk of recidivism increases.47 Barnowski,48 in his study of recidivism among 8000 sex offenders in Washington, found that the 5-year recidivism rate among those released from prison in 1990 was 5% higher than the rate among those released in 1997, the year community notification laws were implemented. That study's results must be interpreted with caution because the reduction in recidivism for registered sex offenders mirrored a statewide trend in reduced recidivism for other types of crimes. Recidivism rates were declining prior to community notification laws, and after an 11-year downward trend, the recidivism rates of registered sex offenders in Washington began to increase in 1997, the year Megan's Law was implemented. More recently, effectiveness studies from New Jersey and New York concluded that Megan's Law has had no significant impact on rates of recidivism or sexual violence, suggesting that the costs of implementing such laws may outweigh the benefits.

So there you have it.

These lists don't reduce recidivism, they're costly to administer which often outweighs any benefit they provide and, most importantly, they don't do a thing to reduce the chances of your kids being fiddled - that is vastly more likely to done by a family member or some other person you know.

So in light of all of this Nutty - do you still think these lists provide anything more than a fleeting sense of security for parents?

Lol why do you care so much what my opinion is? If you don't want to know where potential pedos live then don't look at the website or buy the magazine.

Lol why do you care so much what my opinion is?

Because you're expressing it on a public message board and I am firmly of the belief that opinion which is not evidence-based isn't worth squat and needs to be challenged when expressed in public.

If you don't want to know where potential pedos live then don't look at the website or buy the magazine.

It's got nothing to do with me not wanting to know something, it's about the value of such information being in the public domain.

That and the fact it might educate someone else reading the thread who might otherwise have thought that it is fair and reasonable to make the public aware of where people who have otherwise served their time live.