• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Poker

albert- the only way i whould have played the k 7 if i was in the blinds but thats just me.

one of my "worst" is we down to 5 handed at a 30 person tourny at the boats blinds are 300-600 i have to painfully tight players to my left...i'm on the button table folds around to me i raise to 1800 with 3-5 of diamonds trying to steal the blinds. i can tell the small blind has one of those hands you want to play but not at triple the blinds...he slowly calls i put him on maybe a-j, a-10 , a lower pair or 2 paint cards..... flop comes a-10-3 of diamonds he checks, i throw 200 chips he calls. next card comes up a 9 of spades he checks i bet 200 he comes over the top for about 6 k more. to me coming from a tight player thats a sign he's made his handbut doesnt want to get drawn out..... was i right did he hit 2 pair trips or is he trying to make a play? im talking this through only hands that beat me is kq, kj, or qj of diamonds. no was you play any other combo. kg or kj you got the nutz so you want more action only hand that you can possible have that beats me is qj but i think he'd still want more action so i call sure enough qj diamonds

also the thing i hate the most is when people try to win the pot only showing 1 card... i dont care if im beat it takes 2 cards to win and i want to see them thats info i paid for.

bow before my texas hold 'em skills

having just won a few tournaments tonight, I thought, man can anyone beat me????

so I thought I'd give a few tips and tricks which could be added onto for winning at texas hold 'em so that there might actually be some challenge out there for online poker ;)

1) I like to bet about 2-3 times the big blind if I flop an outside straight draw and Im the first to act (with 2 other players or less still in the hand). this gives you 2 ways to win, having them fold, and suckering them in by catching your straight.

2) you have a 40% chance of hitting your flush if you have 4 of the same suit after the flop (aka flush draw). if you have 10-20% of your chips in the pot already, mathmetically, you should play it (only in a live game, and only if you think you have the higest flush draw)

3) just call small pairs (pocket 8s and lower) pre-flop and hope to trip up on the flop, you have a 13% chance of tripping up on the flop and if the flop also contains 2 face cards, you can trap them really easily - slow play these hands

4) slow play anything straight or better

i could give a lot of other tips, but I'll let some other poker players contribute

<- 1000th post, weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

nice thread idea. I'm a hold'em player myself, but i'm not too great, and haven't played for real money in a good while. One of the biggest tips is not to chase flushes or straights. Just cause you get a 2 and 3 pocket, dosen't mean to raise like hell, only to get nothing else to help your hand. Seen it all to many times.

Also don't become pot committed when you don't have a strong hand, this usually happens when your trying to chase flushes or straights. Only chase when there is not much money to lose.

There's no rush to get involved early on .... tourists get lucky .... the maniacs don't last 3 hands .... then the toursists are rinsed ... covertly but alway's with compassion ... then the mating begins ..... I'm up for a game if anyone's got a Betfair A/C ....

You are 100% guaranteed to find a big long thread on poker in here if you just search for the word poker.

oh really? i wasn't aware of the search function, after 3.5 years here - finally :)

ok this thread is about tips on how to win, not about how fun it is in general, maybe i should fix the title, but reading the original post should make that abundantly clear

heres another little tip. a lot of people like to slow play aces, but you have to push hard enough so that they only see the turn. let them know that you have a made hand and they shouldn't chase to see the river

one more: if you have the chip lead and the blinds are still pretty small, go ahead and play your 2 7 if no one raises the blinds. you never know when the flop will come with 2 dueces or 2 sevens, or even a full boat, and then you take someones entire chip stack

having just won another one, I felt the importance to stress how important it is to play the player, not what cards you have when it comes down to heads up, especially when the blinds are pretty high. bluffing is of outmost importance, especially when you are in late position

tip 2183F)

if you go all in, show you bluffs sometimes, especially heads up. its good for setting them up later, but if you get dealt AK or high pockets the next hand, and go all in, they might just call you thinking you're shitting them

another tip if you limp in with aces and win without showing em flip em over to make them think also

I AM OVER ONLINE POKER!! My online career has come to an end, and a very dramatic end. To quote Tupac: "Money went as quick as it came". So true.

End of the day I get very frustrated and bored with online poker, which usually leads me to playing hands I usually wouldnt. I need to be at a table with real people. That's real poker.

^^^thanks for the money

you know all the profit making online players make money from people who get fed up and leave when they are down

that being said, dont get on tilt and give me another 100 =D

tip 98237Y: dont leave when when you are down, but make sure you know that you are a superior player than your average online player and you aren't on tilt

basically come back when you are done steaming and leave the cash games when you are up (never stay in when you have 6 times or more the buy in unless you are patient and good and play well with a big chipstack)

oh and dont play if its your "off week" from opiates. yall know who yall are

Originally posted by fozzy
another tip if you limp in with aces and win without showing em flip em over to make them think also

i don't understand this - how can you both flip them and not show them?

alasdair

if you win the hand without having to show em...flip em over to let them see that you'll limp in with a monster. same concept of showing your bluffs

ah - i understand now. i never show my cards - the way i see it, it's just another piece of information to help somebody beat you.

i also think that showing bluffs is just not classy.

alasdair

bowdenta said:
you know all the profit making online players make money from people who get fed up and leave when they are down

that being said, dont get on tilt and give me another 100
I'm going to have to disagree here as I believe you have this backwards despite your qualifying statement, which should have been the main entree of your argument (not the side dish)

Profitable online(and B+M) players make the majority of their money from other player's mistakes. If someone has lost a lot of hands (particularly on bad beats) in a row, he is (90+% of the time) much more likely to make errors during the tail end of that session than he normally would be. From this information, we get the following:

1) If you are getting frustrated and/or fed up with the game, leave immediately as you will likely play your poorest poker from this point on

2)If you see someone taking repeated bad beats, you definately want them to stay, as it's unlikely they will be able to play their best poker after this (like I said, MOST of the time, some players, and they are rare, actually play better after bad beats. This is definately the exception and not the rule).

Basically, profitable online players DO NOT want these "fed up" players to leave. On the contrary, these are easiest players to make a profit from.

bowdenta said:
tip 98237Y: dont leave when when you are down.......

basically come back when you are done steaming and leave the cash games when you are up (never stay in when you have 6 times or more the buy in unless you are patient and good and play well with a big chipstack)
First of all, if you're not "good" then you are playing for recreation and not for profit, and therefore the following discussion does not apply to you.

Again, I don't want to knock you, but I feel like you have your philosophies backwards, and I don't want any aspiring players here to take your advice as gospel and screw themselves out of their money with faulty strategy. It sounds like you've been making some decent money and you've won a few tournaments recently, but I must say that you are erring in your general concepts of how poker should be played long term for a profit. Mike Caro wrote a bit in Super System 2 about this very topic.

To paraphrase Caro: If you are winning a lot at a particular table, this likely means the conditions for making profits are good(at that table), and therefore you should continue playing there until these conditions change(either poor players get up and leave, you are getting tired, players have tightened up, etc.) On the contrary, if you are losing money at a particular table, it is foolish to stay "until I am positive" - because if you are losing, it is likely the conditions are not what you require to make any kind of significant profit. These kinds of players are the ones who "have made a profit the last 20 days in a row" - albeit a 1% profit on their buy in each time, and then on day #21 they do their normal thing - staying until they're up - except they never go up, they continue going down as they get more and more on tilt, and they kill their entire bankroll. Even though you can say "I had a profitable month, I finished in the positive 20 of 21 days", you actually didn't finish in the profit, you lost all (or most) of your money. That's an extreme example, but it illustrates this concept perfectly. More often than not, these "downer days" will happen MUCH more often than 1/21 if you use the "I'm not quitting till I'm up" strategy.

Basically the point Caro is trying to make is the fact that most players get this backwards: They leave when they are up and won't quit when they are down. This is poor technique when it comes to making money playing poker (or most other games for that matter). It's like the guy gambling on football who keeps doubling up until he wins - eventually he's going to get burned out of his whole bankroll. Happens everyday.

On the other hand, I kinda understand players who have had a particularly good day at the tables (this is NL we're talking) cashing out and calling it a day after only a short rush. I feel that you should do what you are comfortable with, so if you don't feel comfortable with a big stack then you should cash out and buy in elsewhere for a smaller amount.

Having said that, if you don't feel comfortable playing with a stack much bigger than your opponents(a HUGE advantage) in a NL hold em ring game, perhaps you should reconsider your long-term profit making prospects and pick a different game (maybe limit hold em?). Getting a dominating chip stack is what 99% of profitable NL players are shooting for when they sit down, not just for the profit, but for the advantages this big stack provides them with. Most pros recommend you buy in for the maximum amount allowed at NL ring games for this very reason, and I believe this is sound advice. If the max buy in is too much for you, then move down in stakes.

I really don't want to come across as attacking you because that's not my aim, I just don't want others looking to make a profit at poker to implement your advice without first hearing my objections to your proposed strategy.

you make a lot of valid points, its just been in my experience, when you get a big chip stack, you begin to gamble and take unnecessary risks. maybe not everyone does this, buts its kinda human nature to. I'll begin to coin flip someone pre-flop when I know I can outplay them.

Ive been up so many times only to start gambling, and go back down. at this point im on tilt, and I either lose it all or quit when when I get back to my original buy in.

there are swings in poker. it may be dick, but leaving the second you double up, will ensure you consistently make profit. the chances of doubling up again are less than the odds you will lose some money

a lot of people have figured out that if you to an online site, get in a table with small blinds, and start with a low chip stack. wait and wait and wait until you get a good hand and push it hard. usually one of these big chip stackers will call you all in with a less than premium hand