• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Please help. I've taken 2 grams of 5htp by mistake and am feeling very weird

Bitstorm

Bluelighter
I realised now (too late) that the 5htp capsules I had from awhile ago were just for storing the powder, not measured out doses.
So it seems that yesterday already I took 800mg-1g and didnt notice.

Today I've realised now, 3 hours after taking another one. Freakin out because I'm spacy and colors are weird and I have work tomorrow that I can't fuck up.

What can i do to help my body pass it out, ameliorate it? should I just knock myself out with a benzo?

What can i do to mitigate the effects? help!

and I've taken b vitamins today as well. which I'm now reading helps premature 5htp breakdown and increases the amount in the bloodstream?

ughhh what chemical were you intending to dose where you thought you needed a GRAM anyway?

It was just a cap, I was intending to take 5htp... just forgot these capsules were made up ages ago just for storing the whole powder, no filler inside.

haven't weighed it but an 00 can fit about a gram when shoved so its my worst case. hopefully its just 600-800mg

yeah either way you're not gonna have problems... it's just 5htp!
but I understand what You mean about the storage now. but yeah you'll be fine just ride it out I'm sure effects will considerably dampen here soon/stop all together

Well iv taken about 3 grams a day for about 2 weeks and I feel fine and have no side effects other than boosted concentration and I sleep well. You'll be fine bruh x

It's hardly dangerous. For me, 5-HTP was horrible. Even when I took the standard dose, I vomited, my body temperature rose to fever levels, horrible diarrhea, and I felt completely horrible. A mild serotonin syndrome. I also got palpitations from it, so I had to stop taking it.

May I ask the reason you take it? Is it for depression or insomnia? For insomnia melatonin would be better, as 5-HTP turns into serotonin which in turn is converted to melatonin.

You can check out my blog post about 5-HTP: http://bluelight.org/vb/entries/5905-Be-careful-with-5-HTP

Last edited:
You should be fine, but as always, if you begin to experience severe symptoms, you should call emergency services or go to the hospital.

invest in some sedatives e.g.: valium, weed, xanax (be careful with benzos though - addiction potential and all that.)