• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

please help finished degree drug testing pre employment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonikk

Greenlighter
so, this is my first time posting and i have no idea if this is in fact in the correct forum please let me know if it is wrong.

i've finally finished my degree in nursing and have began looking for jobs in the field. i have my first interview annnd full drug screening in five days. i am terrified that if i fail this test it will be put on some kind of record and i will never ever get any work at any hospital ever. i frequently take large amoutns of oxy, kpins, alprazolam, hydrocodone and some tram. i also smoke buds fairly reg was everyday but now say every week. i'm 5''9 and about 105lbs and i have a very fast metabolism will that make any difference? i'm going to clean up starting tomorrow (gon be sick as a dog for awhile :() any advice at all will be amazing

Welcome to Bluelight, we are glad to have you. You might want to jump over and check out the rules for the site: (http://http://wiki.bluelight.ru/index.php/Bluelight_User_Agreement_%28BLUA%29

I hate to tell you this since you seem worried about it but it is against the rules here at BL to ask (or provide answers) to any questions pertaining to drug tests and testing.

Also, congrats on your recent graduation from nursing school. I have been a nurse for 20 years..Im just wondering though...if you are hired somewhere are you still going to continue with all the drugs you are doing now? The only reason I ask is, depending on the policy of the facility, you could be drug tested at any time with no notice and if you fail most places have a no tolerance policy. For example, even if you get some type of minor injury while working (an accidental needlestick, slip and fall, hurt your back, pull a muscle, have a patient hurt you etc etc) they will drug test you. For most nursing facilities if one day or shift the narcotic medication count is off or questionable (and depending on where you work this happens quite frequently..doesnt always mean someone is swiping the narcs, though it could be) due to whatever reason, they can require a drug test. They can also just perform random ones.

Also, and I have no idea what type of place you will be working in but I can tell you that if you have an issue with drugs (and I assume you are dependent since you stated that you will be sick as a dog for awhile when you stop taking them) then you are putting yourself in a very bad situation if you go to work at a facility where you have access to narcotics. It is fairly common for nurses to have drug dependency issues and I cant tell you the number of times (and I have worked in a lot of place and different type facilites) I have know of nurses stealing meds and getting caught. You may especially be vulnerable to give in to temptation if you are struggling with staying off meds (such as when you have just recently quit taking them).

I have been a chronic pain patient for over 10 years and have been prescribed various different controlled pain meds over the years. For many years to begin with in was not an issue as I did not take a terribly large amount and always had as many as I needed prescribed to me. When it got to a point where I became undermedicated due to rising tolerance and a change in docs due to moving to a new state (and the new doc didnt want to prescribe even half of what I had been taking for a long period of time and various other reasons) I realized that I never wanted to be tempted by meds I was in charge of so I took myself out of that situation as I did not trust myself when I was sick or hurting especially. Once I realized that there could potentially be an issue with it I changed jobs and made sure that any job I was working at was one where I did not directly handle medications. I am an excellent nurse and have never taken any meds like that but I did not (do not) trust myself that it couldnt or wouldnt happen one day if I were having a rough time of it.

Didnt mean for this to turn into a novel, I just thought I would relate my own experiences to you. Being a nurse and a drug user/abuser/addict presents a lot of special problems. People always say, shit..that sounds like a dream to have access to all of those meds but as bad off as I have been on occasion over the years jeopardizing my career and life just was not worth it. These days in addition to losing your job and likely your nursing license almost all places now make sure that criminal charges are brought against nurses who steal/take narcotic medications on the job. Just be really careful and if you wish to talk about it more or anything else nursing related (or drugs..whatever) then please feel free to PM me or just ask here, whichever you are more comfortable with.

Good luck to you and sorry we cant answer any drug test related questions here.

Very good reply, missmeyet. Hopefully your words of wisdom as a nurse of 20 years will resonate with the OP.

Tonikk, sorry we can't answer your question. Locking thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.