• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Please Help. Can I recover from a terrible LSD experience?

Booxis

Greenlighter
Hey guys, this is my first post! I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible. Thank you for anyone who is willing to read, in advance.

I'm 33 and rarely take any substances besides the occasional X, but a month and a half ago I took half a dose of what is presumably LSD (whether it was or wasn't I can't know for sure anymore, but I know that the blotter was not bitter and did not make my tongue numb at all).

• The trip was extremely intense. I forgot who I was, I forgot that I existed or WHAT I was... My sense of self disappeared. This was of course unpleasant, but as I was coming down my sense of self and my memories came back to me just fine.
  • But then after about 10 hours when I thought the trip "ended" is when I started feeling physical symptoms. My brain felt crazy like it was going in overdrive. The four other people who took the substance with me were all feeling normal by now- except for me. For the next 24 HOURS I was feeling the physical symptoms of my brain being exhausted, my breathing was shallow and difficult, my pupils were pulsating, I felt I was dying. I couldn't feel temperatures anymore like my body was numb. I felt like the "lights were going out" in my head, like I would surely die. It was pure torture but somehow after many, many hours, it subsided. I got no sleep, of course, despite trying.

• I thought the hell was over, but that's when the panic attacks started. Every single day I was having multiple panic attacks and not being able to sleep. I felt physically ill from the anxiety. I was feeling nausea, chest pain, heart palpitations, intense fear for about a week. I immediately stopped consuming anything that messes with your mind (no alcohol, no coffee, I don't smoke...)
  • Then came the depression. This is where I reached the lowest low, I felt like I could not enjoy anything anymore in my life and that this was permanent. I felt darkness around me, no matter what I did. This is when thoughts of suicide started creeping into my mind, especially in the mornings. I lost my appetite and didn't eat for about a week. This is also when I finally went to see a psychiatrist.
  • The psychiatrist said I was traumatized by the experience and prescribed me Prozac 20mg. I've been taking that for about 4 weeks now. Only slight improvement so far. I am going to continue psychotherapy each week, along with the Prozac but honestly I don't feel like it will be enough.
  • Right now I just don't feel like myself anymore. I don't recognize myself. I feel my whole life is like a movie - not real. I can't connect with people. I have very scary existential thoughts. This, as I understand, is depersonalization and derealization. I constantly feel some level of discomfort, fear, anxiety, disconnection from the world around me.

Please, tell me stories of similar experiences that ended well. I am ready to wait for months, even years if I can cling on to the hope that it will get better. Please, if possible, show me a glimmer of sunshine at the end of the tunnel with your stories and advice. I am desperate, guys. Thank you all who took the time to read my experience.

The glimmer of sunshine is the fact your hearts still beating :)

Be diligent in your thought process. Force yourself to be glass half full. Good food, water, and exercise.

It's odd a half a tab of LSD caused such a reaction tho.

acid or not acid, no matter. it was too high a dose.
it might be interesting to know about who else had this stuff and how it went for them, but the main thing is to recover with some dignity.

I would put more attention on functional parts of life than this for now, good diet, exercise, & drop the prozac ASAP.

There is something that bugs you which feels organic and cascades into a panic attack,
the depression hangs on the whole obsession and uncertainty fear complex tied to this ,
and traces back to your claustrophobic 10 hours when you were OUT OF YOUR MIND, and you don't want to go back.

one thing you want to avoid is E and also avoid Cannabis or stimulants (coke etc.) for at least 6 months.

There is no shame in being panicky about having lost your mind for 10 hours and not wanting it to happen again.

Thank you for the advice guys. I'm looking into more physical activities. Definitely will not be taking any stimulants for probably much longer.

Psychedelics can scare the shit out of you, as you have found out. You weren't prepared for what you experienced. Others actually seek out 'ego death'. It can be a very positive experience if you can give in to it and overcome your fear when it hits you. But it can also lead to difficult experiences, even to the extent that it can influence your sober life. It sounds like you have some PTSD, which can happen from anything sufficiently impressive. It also means you can recover from it.

I would advise you to not take any drugs, as stated above. And to confront your memory of the experience with your therapist. Apparently EMDR therapy can be quite effective for getting rid of these symptoms. And always keep a positive attitude. Focus on the things that make life beautiful. Invest in what makes you happy. Actively set yourself on a path towards your own goals.

Were you fully mentally healthy before you took the LSD? There are plenty of reports of LSD triggering mental illness in people who are predisposed to it, which the closest thing I can think of to what has happened to you.

That aside, even if you were healthy, in some rare cases people just react badly to LSD. Maybe the half-tab you took was unevenly laid and contained more LSD than it should have. Who knows, there are many rare special cases like that.

The good news is, in cases like this people pretty much ALWAYS recover. As has been suggested, if during the next few months you eat healthy, get regular exercise, get plenty of sleep, and avoid using drugs, then you will feel better, slowly but surely.