• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Plasma donation affect methadone?

I know this was a while back but This guy said addicts lie about using I/V but he obviously does not know anything about addictions. Don't you know that most of us who have been addicted have already been through the shameful part of our addiction so why wouldn't we just be upfront and say yeah we use needles, But it's been 10 years ago I get tested every 6 months still to this day but you don't know who anybody is on here and you can't call them a liar.....
But as far as donating plasma I have been donating and on methadone 8 months now they know I have been clean for over 10 yrs and I am on 80mgs of methadone a day. I have also donated 30mins AFTER dosing, and I was just fine. I feel my meds im not sick at all. Although I highly doubt that the guy who initiated this forum will ever get to see this, that is who I'm answering for I dosed and then donated plasma I had no problems with my methadone after it. I feel great. So there's an answer, some of you may not like it but some people need to know. ; )

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but plasma centers have strict guidelines about people donating if they are on or have taken opiate/opioid drugs in the recent past. I've gotten away with it before (not recommending it or saying I was anything more than an irresponsible person, just saying), but they generally don't want junkies because they, again generally, have lower-than-average functioning immune systems, among other reasons. They are supposed to screen every donation and very well might discover opiate metabolites in the donation and bar you from further donations; in general, it's just best to abstain several days before and after giving plasma -- especially after, given that the body needs time and nutrients to recover.

First, I apologize for bumping a way OLD thread but blood donation is important and for those of us whom are healthy enough and able to donate, should. Despite being on MMT (65mg and two other Rx's) I'm still eligible to donate. There are medicines that are clearly listed as well as informational packets to read every visit. Some things are absolutely forbidden for donating. Meds like blood thinning drugs or Accutane(taken in last 5-7yrs?) or recent travel to the third world. There is a lot to understand before donating ESP those with a .... hedonistic past. I wanted to help the community so I asked questions when I wasn't sure. I'm fortunate enough to be healthy and in my prime. I have the annual physicals, get tested regularly and don't engage in high risk behavior, that's what they're looking. Most medications even psychotropic meds aren't going to get you deferred nor will it significantly decrease the drug levels in your body enough for you to feel it. btw, Two more donations and I've donated a gallon

From an IV drug addict no less!
Unless you are educated about a subject you should refrain from making comments like you did here. I have been on methadone for (embarassing enough ) a long time, yet I have never even seen Heroin or put a needle anywhere near my body. The only needles that Ive had in me are from an IV or having blood taken for medical purposes. Not all Methadone patients are IV or former IV drug users my friend. So...please don't put that stigma on Methadone because someone can read that and then be misinformed. Thanks...gw

I work at a plasma center. You can still donate, but you will definitely lose some of the methadone because it will be in your plasma. I don't know the plasma binding percentage but will look it up later. If it has a high plasma protein binding affinity then I would suggest not donating.

Unless you are educated about a subject you should refrain from making comments like you did here. I have been on methadone for (embarassing enough ) a long time, yet I have never even seen Heroin or put a needle anywhere near my body. The only needles that Ive had in me are from an IV or having blood taken for medical purposes. Not all Methadone patients are IV or former IV drug users my friend. So...please don't put that stigma on Methadone because someone can read that and then be misinformed. Thanks...gw

+2 thanks for posting :)