• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Piracetam and choline

anonymouse77

Bluelighter
Does anyone understand how piracetam works? I took it previously on it's own and felt depressed. Today I took 1200mg of it with a choline supplement and don't feel as bad. Does anyone know if the choline helps to stop depression from piracetam or if that's just coincidence and not related?

Thank you for reading.

I don't know about depression, I never got it short term on Piracetam. But, Choline potentiates Piracetum hugely.
When I first tried Piracetum, I took about 500mg. for a few days (not a large dose). Didn't feel it a lot, just subtly. Then I tried adding Choline and I had a day at work where I was chattering, "on", and sharp as hell. I actually had to tone myself down a little so folks wouldn't think I was on speed.

Choline is basically necessary with Piracetum.

From Wikipedia:

Piracetam's mechanism of action, as with racetams in general, is not fully understood. The drug influences neuronal and vascular functions and influences cognitive function without acting as a sedative or stimulant.[9] Piracetam is a positive allosteric modulator of the AMPA receptor, although this action is very weak and its clinical effects may not necessarily be mediated by this action.[27] It is hypothesized to act on ion channels or ion carriers, thus leading to increased neuron excitability.[25] GABAbrain metabolism and GABA receptors are not affected by piracetam[28]

Piracetam improves the function of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine via muscariniccholinergic (ACh) receptors[citation needed], which are implicated in memory processes.[29] Furthermore, piracetam may have an effect on NMDA glutamatereceptors, which are involved with learning and memory processes. Piracetam is thought to increase cell membrane permeability.[29][30] Piracetam may exert its global effect on brain neurotransmission via modulation of ion channels (i.e., Na+, K+).[25] It has been found to increase oxygen consumption in the brain, apparently in connection to ATP metabolism, and increases the activity of adenylate kinase in rat brains.[31][32] Piracetam, while in the brain, appears to increase the synthesis of cytochrome b5,[33] which is a part of the electron transport mechanism in mitochondria. But in the brain, it also increases the permeability of some intermediates of the Krebs cyclethrough the mitochondrial outer membrane.[31]

Piracetam inhibits N-type calcium channels. The concentration of piracetam achieved in central nervous system after a typical dose of 1200 mg (about 100 μM)[34] is much higher than the concentration necessary to inhibit N-type calcium channels (IC50 of piracetam in rat neurons was 3 μM).[35]

I don't know about depression, I never got it short term on Piracetam. But, Choline potentiates Piracetum hugely.
When I first tried Piracetum, I took about 500mg. for a few days (not a large dose). Didn't feel it a lot, just subtly. Then I tried adding Choline and I had a day at work where I was chattering, "on", and sharp as hell. I actually had to tone myself down a little so folks wouldn't think I was on speed.

Choline is basically necessary with Piracetum.
Thank you for your reply. That's interesting. Do you think 1200mg is too big of a dose? They are 800mg tablets and I had only taken 1 and a 1/2 out of the whole box (separately) and I didn't want to waste the half so I took 1 and a 1/2 together.

From Wikipedia:

Piracetam's mechanism of action, as with racetams in general, is not fully understood. The drug influences neuronal and vascular functions and influences cognitive function without acting as a sedative or stimulant.[9] Piracetam is a positive allosteric modulator of the AMPA receptor, although this action is very weak and its clinical effects may not necessarily be mediated by this action.[27] It is hypothesized to act on ion channels or ion carriers, thus leading to increased neuron excitability.[25] GABAbrain metabolism and GABA receptors are not affected by piracetam[28]

Piracetam improves the function of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine via muscariniccholinergic (ACh) receptors[citation needed], which are implicated in memory processes.[29] Furthermore, piracetam may have an effect on NMDA glutamatereceptors, which are involved with learning and memory processes. Piracetam is thought to increase cell membrane permeability.[29][30] Piracetam may exert its global effect on brain neurotransmission via modulation of ion channels (i.e., Na+, K+).[25] It has been found to increase oxygen consumption in the brain, apparently in connection to ATP metabolism, and increases the activity of adenylate kinase in rat brains.[31][32] Piracetam, while in the brain, appears to increase the synthesis of cytochrome b5,[33] which is a part of the electron transport mechanism in mitochondria. But in the brain, it also increases the permeability of some intermediates of the Krebs cyclethrough the mitochondrial outer membrane.[31]

Piracetam inhibits N-type calcium channels. The concentration of piracetam achieved in central nervous system after a typical dose of 1200 mg (about 100 μM)[34] is much higher than the concentration necessary to inhibit N-type calcium channels (IC50 of piracetam in rat neurons was 3 μM).[35]
Thank you for your reply and letting me know. It might have a bigger impact on the NMDA receptors at a higher dose which helps stop depression maybe? I think NMDA helps alleviate depression.

Thank you for your reply. That's interesting. Do you think 1200mg is too big of a dose? They are 800mg tablets and I had only taken 1 and a 1/2 out of the whole box (separately) and I didn't want to waste the half so I took 1 and a 1/2 together.
I've done way larger doses later on. That's generally when I was kinda foolishly using it to cut through pot hangovers (which it works a charm for, BTW).
However, as anything, less dosage=less side effects.
Try a way smaller dose with Choline and see what happens. Then work your way up if needed. If you go to larger doses with Choline, I wouldn't worry about it.
I didn't get depression much from Piracetam, maybe a little if I was on it a long time. Larger doses gave me neck tension and headaches. As a matter of fact, now that I have (unrelated) neck issues I can hardly take Piracetam anymore.

I've done way larger doses later on. That's generally when I was kinda foolishly using it to cut through pot hangovers (which it works a charm for, BTW).
However, as anything, less dosage=less side effects.
Try a way smaller dose with Choline and see what happens. Then work your way up if needed. If you go to larger doses with Choline, I wouldn't worry about it.
I didn't get depression much from Piracetam, maybe a little if I was on it a long time. Larger doses gave me neck tension and headaches. As a matter of fact, now that I have (unrelated) neck issues I can hardly take Piracetam anymore.
Thank you so much again for your reply and good info. I got some medical prescribed THC oil and flower a few weeks ago and I notice if I take a mil (18mg/ml) of the oil then I feel very burnt out and tired the next day. I am only a lightweight with THC also. I was like this yesterday as I took oil the day before. The flower smoke is only 9% THC and 8%CBD so it does not last as long and give the hangover like the oil does I have noticed. I think I need to keep to low doses of the THC oil to keep my tolerance low and stop the hangovers from it. But it's good to know that I can use it for this.

I also ended up getting some selegiline but not sure what I can take that with at the same time. I only took a half so far since I got it and won't take more than that every second day or so.