• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Pins & needles. Numb.

Britt_bratt

Bluelighter
Has anyone else experienced "pins and needles" while addicted to opiates? Every time I was addicted to opiates, when I would sleep and wakeup I would always have the WORST numbness in my arms and hands that would then give me that awful pins and needle fuzzy feeling. And I noticed during the day my hands would just feel generally tight and swollen feeling all the time.. also back 4 years ago when my addiction was at the worst my feet/ankles were always swollen and it scared the shit out of me. Since I have stoped all opiated I do not experience any of these symptoms and it's always been a burning question in my head.. what the hell was all that does anyone know?

My guess is it's a reduction of blood flow or circulation causing these issues. It's not to uncommon. If it happened all that can be done is gently creating motion in those areas so that circulation increases and blood flow increases until the feeling is gone. I know what you're talking about and it's not the painful pins and needles one gets injecting, but rather the numbing pins and needles like your bodies fallen asleep. It happens due to being more susceptible to one's body falling asleep like when you sit for too long. I believe it happens because opiates reduce blood flow and circulation, but I'm not positive about that.

My guess is it's a reduction of blood flow or circulation causing these issues. It's not to uncommon. If it happened all that can be done is gently creating motion in those areas so that circulation increases and blood flow increases until the feeling is gone. I know what you're talking about and it's not the painful pins and needles one gets injecting, but rather the numbing pins and needles like your bodies fallen asleep. It happens due to being more susceptible to one's body falling asleep like when you sit for too long. I believe it happens because opiates reduce blood flow and circulation, but I'm not positive about that.

thanks for the input I was deff thinking along the same lines as you!
It never happend to my ex but always me so I was freaked it was some terrible disorder. But once I stop using, gone. So I figured it must be lack of blood flow due to opiates. Thanks !

i used to get it in my hands, even lying in my back with my hand on my chest for like half an hour and they would feel numb, but since i'm now just chipping like the idiot i am my hands are f9.

i used to get it in my hands, even lying in my back with my hand on my chest for like half an hour and they would feel numb, but since i'm now just chipping like the idiot i am my hands are f9.
Yup same thing as me!! Not sure what ou meant by the last part??

what i meant was i am currently not addicted to opiates and i don't get numb hands, but i am taking them now and then for fun (aka chipping) and for that i am a foolish foolish boy.

what i meant was i am currently not addicted to opiates and i don't get numb hands, but i am taking them now and then for fun (aka chipping) and for that i am a foolish foolish boy.
Ahh okay I understand! It happens beeen there toooo many times!

Pins and needles tend to be a WD symptom. Professionally they call it "numbness in your extremities". And a more lengthy symptom is called "paresthesia". I've had it now for 9 months coming off H and Xanax. It is tons of fun, let me tell ya. Gabapentin helps.

Pins and needles tend to be a WD symptom. Professionally they call it "numbness in your extremities". And a more lengthy symptom is called "paresthesia". I've had it now for 9 months coming off H and Xanax. It is tons of fun, let me tell ya. Gabapentin helps.
Oh no it wasn't a wd symptom for me! It was only when I was using heavily. As soon as I quit and started to withdrawal it was gone! Only occurred while using. But damn that's super annoying to be experiencing that for 9 months off the dope. Sorry to hear sounds awful :( but prob still better than acute w.d!

Probably circulatory related, maybe you pinched a nerve when you slept all doped up. I used to get these kinda of things, waking up to an entire numb arm or something, both prior to and to a lesser degree while I was using. Doesn't seem to be as much an issue for me these days though.

I'm having this issue. I've been addicted for 4 year to opioids. When I would use towards the end of me stopping which has now been a week my hands and legs would burn and tingling. My hands would turn red and heard it could be a liver thing? Any how I've stopped using, went through withdrawl and week later my feet and hands still get slightly red and tingle. Why!? Anyone with a definitive explanation?