• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals Pineapple Weed: Chamomile’s Brother

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Having recently tried yet another new psychoactive I figured I’d share here… Before I get started, yes chamomile is psychoactive it’s just hard to find store bought products with enough active components to be useful. In my years buying store bought chamomile only rarely do I find some that has even 1/10th what can be experienced if it’s fresh. Also chamomile refers to multiple species from different genus’ of which we can assume have varying psychoactivity.

Hearing from @JackARoe about how useful fresh chamomile can be and knowing from my own experience that plants that contain apigenin as a possible psychoactive don’t fair well to drying, (Salvia Nemorosa being another one) I decided to hunt down some fresh.

I’ve seen what I thought was Chamomile for the longest time along roadsides, sidewalks and disturbed areas pretty much everywhere I go in the US. Yesterday I picked some and upon returning home discovered I had picked a closely resembled species.

Matricaria discoidea, also known as pineapple weed or wild chamomile. Regular chamomile is Matricaria recutita. It’s shorter, bushier and the flowers have a pineapple smell in addition to the typical chamomile scent.

I took a clump of flowers and leaves (later learning the flowers alone are ideal), unknown amount (kinda stupid looking back) and brewed a tea from it. Tea was incredibly mild and honestly didn’t quite taste like normal chamomile.

Shortly afterwards I was laying in bed reading on my phone when I noticed my eyes were losing focus. I’d try to refocus them but to no avail. When I’d get up to move I was sluggish and off balance. Not only did this work, worked a little too well.

I would’ve simply passed out right here cuz my body was screaming at me to do so, but unfortunately I ate some things earlier in the day that began not agreeing with me. So at one point I needed to hop in the shower to reduce my nausea from what I had eaten, problem was this pineapple weed had me so sedated I was practically melting down to the shower floor and kept having to pull myself up again.

I was so sedated my body just wanted to go lay down but my stomach wasn’t allowing it. Eventually I ate some cannabis edible and my stomach quickly quieted down.

Slept pretty deep and in pretty late. So deep I slept a little wrong on my shoulder.

Honestly I feel there’s something more than apigenin in here to cause these effects. Other plants/substances with it don’t seem to cause nearly the same sedation. This was getting up near the time I tried a potent extract of Valerian and couldn’t get up without getting dizzy until it wore off.

If I ever use again it’ll be in smaller measured quantities, seems like it’d be good for when someone gets like a cold and needs to simply rest.

-GC

Last edited:
Thanks for experimenting GC. I know we will look at chamomile and it's relatives differently once we learn more. I feel the same about mulungu. I used mulungu to come down off of psychedelics before I found etizolam and after I stopped drinking alcohol. It was potent. I could get an effect of about 15 mgs of diazepam with a handful simmered.

Chamomile I would like to try and grow again, although looks like we should add pineappple weed to the list. Sounds like it was potent. Nothing to write off. 100 years from now we will have nature and not need a doctors prescription.

Certainly far stronger in sedation than any other natural herb I’ve tried besides Valerian extract (and certain essential oils). I did just throw a rather hefty clump in there though if fresh picked, looking back I shoulda done way less but assumed it wasn’t gonna be that strong.

Now I’d like to try regular chamomile fresh to see if there is any substantial difference.

My next goal is to try to find a way to preserve and standardize the dose. Probably an ethanol based tincture is going to be the best bet.

-GC

Thanks for experimenting GC. I know we will look at chamomile and it's relatives differently once we learn more. I feel the same about mulungu. I used mulungu to come down off of psychedelics before I found etizolam and after I stopped drinking alcohol. It was potent. I could get an effect of about 15 mgs of diazepam with a handful simmered.

Chamomile I would like to try and grow again, although looks like we should add pineappple weed to the list. Sounds like it was potent. Nothing to write off. 100 years from now we will have nature and not need a doctors prescription.
Ime Mulungu is a solid free of side effects sleep inducer.

Chamomile I use when my cat has eye problems, never noticed any sedation like CBD. When taken oral by me!

Ime Mulungu is a solid free of side effects sleep inducer.

Chamomile I use when my cat has eye problems, never noticed any sedation like CBD. When taken oral by me!

And see I’ve tried many different high quality CBD products and never gotten much in the way of sedation. I suppose maybe more than most dried chamomile but still very little. CBD to me is purely anti-anxiety, anti inflammatory, and a nice adjunct in the right amounts with THC.

-GC