• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

pills or back to the fent patch? advice!

aerogurl

Greenlighter
Ive been on fentanyl patches for about 5 years but my libido decreased and my partner notice this in over a six month period our sex life has kind of gone downhill and the patches didn't seem to be strong enough and I knew my doctor would not up them again so I asked him about a switch. I was on 50 mcg fentanyl patches change every 72 hours and 3 7.5 hydrocodones as needed a day.He Switched me on 2 ms contin per day 30 mg and three hydrocodone 7.5. it started out one ms contin per day for one week this is right after I took off a 50 mcg patch and I went crazy for a week because I was in so much pain, but now I'm on two a day and I'm still in pain throughout the day at times. I think the MS Contin is supposed to last 12 hours but it seems to last about 4 for me. Then I'm in really bad pain. On the patches I was never in severe pain all day I just had moments of pain where I would take a hydrocodone or two. The doctor I saw before I went on patches had me on the 2:30 MS Contin and oxycodone 10 three times a day and he is the one that recommended the patches which started at 25mcg. have a letter from that Dr showing that he had me on oxycodone and instead of what I'm currently on the hydrocodone (which sucks) and I'm going to take that in the office. I have an office visit coming up and my decision is should I go back on the patches or should I stay on the pills. I know people would say well which do you think is better but I ask you which would you think would be better? I've had lots of intestinal surgeries and I have a malabsorptive issue so that plays into it. I also swim a lot and tan and that plays into the patches coming off and not being able to stick them back on. I would just like your advice. I'm not abusing my medication I wear the patches and I take the pills I do not snort the pills or chew the patches. This is advice for legally taken prescriptions.

Last edited:
It sounds like your problem is the sustained release formulation. It's because you have absorption issues, I have the same thing.
Normal protocol is for the doc to double the dose for people with intestinal issues, OR switch to IR all the time but they frown against that for chronic long term pain.
So options are ; telling him about the absorption thing and doing an increase in dose, or switch to mirphine IR or dilaudid or oxy, or go back to patches with a breakthrough oxy kicker.
If the doc switches you to IR and you're still in pain, then he might up your BT med to oxy.
You might not feel comfortable with this last suggestion but just putting it out there. You are wasting the second half of your drug because of your intestines . If you chewed half the amount you would double your dose and change it to mostly IR. just a thought.

Your not on enough ms contin A 50mcg/hr doses out to 120mg of Morphine not 60mg. They do start low when they convert and I think leave it up to you to complain and let them know. Get on the phone, you should of have already.
IMO It needs to go up and the bio of those suck. Chew-em up and look for ways to make-em stronger by eating high fats/fatty meals a lot of peanut butter and chase-em down with a few cans of pop. Works
P.S. Damn Fentanyl made me hard for a long time. Just couldn't finish when I'm on the patches. What they made ya not Interested? They killed ur Drive?
I'm switching right now from 100mcg/hr every 48hrs because I want more control and the patches were always a pain in the @ss and absorption varied way too much.

Last edited:
I have already called the doctor back. I'm going in tomorrow. I set that up last week. I just needed some feedback about the malabsorption because I knew that was an issue but with drugs the way they are today and people abusing them, even though I passed drug tests, they don't want to give you the medication that you need.

as a girl, the sex thing just didn't appeal to me anymore. My boyfrieNd thought I didn't want him... I just didn't feel like having sex, andwhat was the point when I couldn't orgasm? he was accusing me of cheating and all kinds of stuff, I know it has something to do with the patches. trust me he's had his hands full for the past two weeks, I think he's got something everyday regardless if it was oral or the other lol

I just felt disinterested in my entire life to be honest. Lazy, depressed, just let my house go to shit. I was having trouble urinating and had to be put on Feurosomide to let me use the bathroom, I had so much water built up, it felt like heaven to sit down and actually pee.

I feel more like myself on the pills but in pain. I have a lot to talk to my doctor about tomorrow I guess, let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Well good luck to ya and sorry didn't know you were a chic. I do know what you mean about letting things go. I'm like that and it is a reason I'm getting off of the patches. It does that to ya for sure. Al kinds of things have gone to hell around here because I was on those things. Almost makes ya not care/weak and everything just piled up everywhere and emotionally also/almost disinterested in things ya love dearly.

Check out this dose calculator so you can discuss with ur Dr. I have started on Opana ir & er It's great and among soo many other things that's perfect on this stuff. I've been having "Food orgasms" 15 mins after snorting 10mgs JUST EATING.
http://agencymeddirectors.wa.gov/mobile.html

As a woman, I understand how the patch can kill your sex drive. All opiates do. I'm currently on 40mg of Methadone and my sex life is almost down to nil. The patches may not give you a "high" that you generally look for that comes with the pain relief of the pills, but the patches almost get rid of ALL of my pain. Looks like you have a decision to make. Pain with sex drive of No pain and no sex drive. There should be a narcotic converter here somewhere to help you and your doctor convert the pills up to the level used by patches. Try it out and see if you can put up with the pain with an equally decent dose of pills.
RS

As a woman, I understand how the patch can kill your sex drive. All opiates do. I'm currently on 40mg of Methadone and my sex life is almost down to nil. The patches may not give you a "high" that you generally look for that comes with the pain relief of the pills, but the patches almost get rid of ALL of my pain. Looks like you have a decision to make. Pain with sex drive of No pain and no sex drive. There should be a narcotic converter here somewhere to help you and your doctor convert the pills up to the level used by patches. Try it out and see if you can put up with the pain with an equally decent dose of pills.
RS
Hi Staff, so you are on 40mg 'done, do you find this dose removes your pain really well, like the patch? Or patch was better? Thanks

PILLS - I Personally found the patches an inconvenient, plus I was allergic to the zine adhesive in the pches