• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

PiHKAL and Chemistry Education

If you have a real interest in chemistry, go ahead and get the education. I heard the same things over 40 years ago when I was a student. That there was so much competition for jobs in science, it was impossible to get a good position, every job has 100 applicants, etc. Of course, one could say the same things about sports or arts, as well as science. I ignored them and went on to have a successful chemistry career as a faculty member at a major university. Of course, I had to work hard and be smart to be competitive, but if you have set a goal, the work is enjoyable as part of the process. My graduate students over the years have all gotten good jobs, in teaching in high school or academia, in industry, and in the government. It's true that only a couple of my former students have faculty positions at research universities, but I think most of the others did not want the pressure to get grant funding. Furthermore, chemistry undergraduates often get jobs in other technical areas since they are trained to think and be analytical.

I majored in chemistry for the sake of chemistry. I always had an interest in science and chemistry starting with explosives and finding drugs later. If you have an interest in something, learn about it. Learning chemistry is my lifes goal its not for a job or a career but because i am really interested in it. I am not even fully sure i want a job in it, its a source of all my hobbies because i like fireworks, rocketry, synthesis, gemstones... literally all spin offs of my interest in chemistry.

Also there is something about being into chemistry and walking around a pharmacy or a home depot... i often wish i could give my "chemical sight" to someone so they can be like "wow you mean if you mix these things you can change this part of the compound" That is something that gets said on amateur chemistry forums "amateur chemists are chronic label readers"

Someday maybe ill find myself in a field related but otherwise it is so much my personality that i just love trying to fit my view of myself as a chemist. Also constantly wondering if ill ever accept the title as real, maybe when i get a degree... i do have a decent portfolio of chemistry stuff (synthesis, lab work, lab glass) all on an amateur level... i.e with just instructions and a lab in a garage.

Hey, LucidSDreamer !
Are you talking from personal frustrations? Being a researcher is not THAT bad. I have a biochemistry major and my current job is at a small private lab doing research on cool stuff. It sure has it's struggles. It has LOTS of frustration for sure. But at the end of the day it gives me the peace of mind of making me feel like I'm doing what I'm supposed to do. I've always loved science. My scientific education has impacted my life in positive ways and has given me tools I can put to their best service in research.

Many researchers like to bitch because:
a) They like money too much, and being a scientist is not something you choose because you wanna get rich, that's fact.
b) They can't accept the fact that we work as hard as anyone else and in the end of the day we get little to no recognition from the general public for what we do. Add to that that many of us are chronic geeks, unsatisfied with their lives, in desperate thirst for recognition.

But if you love what you do, it's not so hard putting your best effort into it. And if you work hard, have faith, and take care of your mental and physical health (Which is something surprisingly many phD students and even PIs neglect) you can live a fulfilling life as a researcher, and if you are lucky you don't even have to deal with the academia that much ... you can work at a private/independent institute like me :)

@Forever Jung (Heh, yeah, I'll join the choir; that's a pretty cool username), if you are really passionate about chemistry then pursue your interest and figure out how to get that degree. With that skill on you, you'll figure out where to go. You may not even end up doing research in the end, as Solipsis said there are lot's of options for a chemist outside of the academia. But also listen to LucidSDreamer when he points out that you have to set realistic expectations for yourself. Shulgin's life was pretty particular and unusual ... and that's why he is Shulgin after all! Getting free licence for doing whatever you want in you backyard lab requires a lot more than just luck. Allthough phD students doing their own "independent research" at lab after hours isn't unheard off. Just keep a rational separation of hobbies and job. Because pursuing a carrer in psychopharmacology is a pretty specific goal, and when you follow a career, life can take pretty crazy turns. And you won't necessarily end up where you imagined at the beginning (Most certainly wont). But the things you learned, no one can take them away from you. So if it is what you love, go for it.

If I had known Pihkal was a book back when I was still in highschool I would have loved chemistry class. I got a much better idea of how certain structures are made and how certain drugs are designed, back when I was younger it was just numbers and letters now it makes sense. Too bad I can't go back in time and learn it with a young pliable brain.

Hey, LucidSDreamer !
Are you talking from personal frustrations? Being a researcher is not THAT bad.

I am speaking out of frustration, I actually have my dream job these days but I would not advise my own son (if i had one) to study chemistry. I tend to be a negative person (especially when I drink and post on BL) so that comes across, while I have a happy ending for now I probably took years off of my life the stresses I have had to deal with as far as employment (and unemployment) goes and seen many a former colleague go through much worse because of the instability of the job market.

am i glad I went that route overall? yes. Its just not like becoming something normal for which there will be a job waiting for you after school like being a doctor or an accountant is the point I was trying to emphasize.

I get these big ideas, like wanting to finish my higher education...and I can almost see my mainia looking back at it. Recovery is going to have to be a slow and steady grind towards self improvement if any realistic gains can be expected. Baby Steps. Work my job, bank my tips. Steer clear of bad habbits. I would like to think by fall semester enrollment I could have saved up for an O-chem course at the local community college to get my feet wet. Who know's maybe I'll hate it, but I expect if I give myself the opportunity, I won't disappoint myself again

ughh just thinking about the remedial math its going to take to undo years of nonpractice

Last edited: