• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Picking Up Where I Left Off

C

Careered

(Intended for Education & Careers)

Hi,

I'm a 29 year old recovering addict, and a very long-time member of Bluelight.

I received my Bachelor's degree in a sub-division of Biological Psychology from a good university in the United States in 2010 and spent a few years working in a psychiatric facility as well as a residential treatment facility for autistic youth during the first couple years out of college. At a certain point in 2013, I lost my shit completely to drugs and alcohol abuse and was sent on a spiraling path for several years afterward. I lost the will to live, and most certainly to pursue anything like the career I'd worked so hard to get the foundation for.

in June of 2014 I went to rehab and moved from my original area into a recovery house to begin fresh. I have sixteen months clean and sober now, and continue to live in a recovery house due to the lack of a better option right now. In the area, I've been working a retail job to support myself.

One of my biggest aspirations is to get 'back on track' with developing a career path that I can feel proud to follow. I'm still paying the price for a DUI that I got in mid-2012 and will have to wait until late May 2016 in order to get a car, so mobility is highly limited.

One thing I know from working in the field, and from having parents who are both in the field of Psychology, is that without a further degree I'm pretty much destined to continuing to work the 'front lines' as a punching bag in a facility. I dream of going to grad school and getting either my Master's or, ideally, my PsyD in a division of psychology and land an internship somewhere. But it has been five years since I graduated from college, and five years since I was of sound enough mind and body to begin to cater to these dreams. In that time, I have really forgotten what is involved in applying to such programs, how and where to take my GRE's (if I need to, as I understand some programs do not require them now?), and am generally just looking for resources and advice.

When I think about getting involved in it all, I get overwhelmed and shut down, not attempting to pursue anything. It's been eating at me long enough, and my writing this message at all represents a huge step.

I'd love to hear suggestions about where to turn to in the real world for advice or information so that I can get this process underway and involve myself in something that I love before it is too late to do so practically.

Thanks so much.