• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Physical Symptoms in Early Sobriety

HazelClouds

Greenlighter
I got clean the week of Christmas, cold turkey off of fentanyl/meth, and surprisingly it’s gone much better than I ever expected to. Physically what is bothering me the most at this point, and has since the beginning is I’m having a hard time sleeping, I’m constantly yawning, and my spine is ICE COLD all the time. I was expecting the sleep issues/yawning, but the spine coldness, I was not. Does anyone know typically how long these symptoms last for, and/or why the spine does this? In case this helps, I’ve been on meth since I was 18, (almost 27 now) and heroin/fentanyl since I was 20.

Hey, I'm not sure about the fentanyl, but with meth the first 3-4 weeks your body will feel funny as shit. Maybe a bit longer really (2 months ish). Trouble sleeping/oversleeping is pretty common. Light exercise, food and vitamins will help :)

Hey, I'm not sure about the fentanyl, but with meth the first 3-4 weeks your body will feel funny as shit. Maybe a bit longer really (2 months ish). Trouble sleeping/oversleeping is pretty common. Light exercise, food and vitamins will help :)
I’ll be a month sober on the 27th, and as of the 21st, my spine is no longer cold. 😊 Still having some sleeping problems, but exercise is helping with that. Thank you for the advice!

I’ll be working on weaning myself off of meth as well. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Anything is greatly appreciated

I’ll be working on weaning myself off of meth as well. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Anything is greatly appreciated
I've said it before but I'll say it again. Rest, binge watch something, eat regularly, do something to occupy yourself, resist the urge to use/pick up especially in the first 2-3 weeks and if you need to sleep all day, then do so. The first 4 days without (assuming you're as hooked as I was) are awful, you'll want to pick up basically just have to fight that urge and keep on top of it. If you relapse no biggie, just note what triggered you and how you were feeling etc before relapsing and try again. You'll get there with sheer willpower. If you can see a counsellor or a psychologist that you have a rapport with or find one who you think would help. Even just an anonymous D+A counsellor. Any help is good help. Ditch all your suppliers if you can. The first few weeks suck ass but you can get through them. Add in some light exercise every day, find a hobby you can do to keep your mind off the withdrawals. Benzos might help but they won't stop you from picking up and it could get messy dosing them if you do relapse. But yeah, reach out to some people or professionals, set some goals and work towards them. The worst of the cravings should be gone around the 3-4 week stage. But everyone's different :) Good luck!

Skipped nightime bnz dose and it threw me off.
Stabilizing, though.
Damn dependance.
Not tonight.

I got clean the week of Christmas, cold turkey off of fentanyl/meth, and surprisingly it’s gone much better than I ever expected to. Physically what is bothering me the most at this point, and has since the beginning is I’m having a hard time sleeping, I’m constantly yawning, and my spine is ICE COLD all the time. I was expecting the sleep issues/yawning, but the spine coldness, I was not. Does anyone know typically how long these symptoms last for, and/or why the spine does this? In case this helps, I’ve been on meth since I was 18, (almost 27 now) and heroin/fentanyl since I was 20.

Akin to what thatmf said, I can't speak for Fentanyl withdrawals, however for heroin withdrawals I'm on day 9 and I can't get the heat into me either. I know (for me) days 10-14 are where it drastically improves (considering you've gone cold turkey and not weaned). My interpretation of cold turkey is NO opiates to wean, even if it's just OTC codeine or prescribed codeine. I did my cold turkey with Lyrica/Pregabalin so my results may differ from yours however I'd imagine in your case you're at the very tail end of it all buddy. Give it another week and see where you're at.

I'll presume you're in the States, thus there may well have been fentanyl in your heroin - and while I don't have any personal experience with it I understand that while the withdrawals from it are more intense, they don't necessarily last that much longer. You should be almost out of the woods.