• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photography Photography Thread vs. BL Shutterbugs unite!

It's a hobby, though I did sell photo prints sometimes when I was selling paintings. I also did a series where I photographed my art through a clear glass bowl of water, and caught the water movement and refraction as part of the art. Like this:

xso8jiO.jpg

Or just water itself, photographig water is awesome:

Z6lRZcN.jpg

Thanks. :)

Perhaps something for your insectoid tendencies @F.U.B.A.R.? 🦋Or other (macro) photography nerds, maybe. I was about to open the pipe to fill the rainwater barrel yesterday, walking by my cacti and succulents and discovered that a green hopper was chillin' on one of my peyote buttons, which are really eager to flower this year. This one alone popped out five already, as one can see in the pictures; ..I actually did some nice sunlight macros in spring of two pink flowers opening simultaneously. Anyway, I digress, ..so I had to fetch my camera and tried to take some photos.
Over the years I became a pixel peeper 🧐 *shame*, zoom in, can you see the texture of the eyes of this thing (even though the reproduction ratio isn't that high)? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the brown dot in the eyes is not functional and what's called "fake pupils", some kind of optical mimicry nature built in in a number of animal species for different reasons. I usually wanna find out, but it seems I'm somewhat satisfied with just knowing that it's a green grasshopper here. 😇 Maybe your clever app can identify the exact genus. Anyway, that's it.. ☮️
bl-grasshopper-00.jpg

bl-grasshopper-01.jpg

bl-grasshopper-02.jpg

bl-grasshopper-03.jpg

bl-grasshopper-04.jpg

PS.: The images are far from perfect, but if I wait for day I take perfect photographs, ...you know. :rolleyes: And there is poop involved here too, did you notice? Should I have put the images inside the spoiler tag? This thing was literally squeezing out three solid sausages while I was trying to take pictures; not blaming anybody, I probably would have gotten the shits too if someone showed up out of nowhere, flashing me repeatedly for no reason, ..unasked. :sneaky:

What camera/lens are you using to take these photos? I absolutely love macrophotography and these are fantastic! I bought a macro lens but I can't seem to get the depth of field you're getting here with it.

What camera/lens are you using to take these photos? I absolutely love macrophotography and these are fantastic! I bought a macro lens but I can't seem to get the depth of field you're getting here with it.
Hey, thanx, glad you enjoyed them. ☺️ Ad depth of field (DOF): Not all, but some of the photos I posted here are "stacked" (focus stacking), can you tell which ones?

Ad DOF generally: Well, yes, welcome to world of macro photography. 🥳 Without knowing your setup, I'm almost sure there is nothing wrong with it. If I were forced to rank the most determining factors for DOF on the macro level, I would say:
  1. reproduction ratio, meaning the 'magnification'
  2. aperture as always, but on a macro level it matters more
  3. focal length
  4. stuff like sensor size, use of extention tubes etc.
So if you want to maximize DOF, keep the reproduction ratio moderate, below 1:1, but who the fuck wants that? Exactly, nobody. With higher magnification, DOF will sooner or later become razor thin, literally like a sheet of paper, but aperture still matters. You want to stop your lens down as much as possible, but not 'too much'. Personally I see no point of having a small increase in DOF, but my photos are all soft now due to e.g. diffraction, or sensor dust shows up, or lighting becomes problematic etc. (I've done all these with either f/8 or f/11.) I think knowing how your glass performs optically depending on aperture is key here! I assume you have a prime lens (fixed focal length, most macro lenses are..), so doing some test shots to figure this out is not that complicated and the benefits are lasting. Think about it! (Or if you have a popular lens, look for technical reviews on the web.)

But it's definitely not all about DOF, I feel. Composition matters greatly, e.g. one can place the subject plane-parallel to the sensor, like in photo 3 (which is not stacked): almost the whole body of the grass hopper is in focus, cause it's aligned respectively. And you can use a shallow DOF to your advantage too, like photo 2: of course it would have been cool to have everything in focus, but with this thing moving its tentacles and shit, that's just not going to happen (with stacking), but what's the main thing here? The head! So gently blurring out most of the rest helps guiding the eye, reduces distractions. Do you know what I mean? Anyway.. 📸

Was this of any help, or am I too 'space out'? o_O Ad my gear: PM..

Yes definitely helpful thanks! I don't have time for photography very much these days so I have only just started playing with my macro lens but it's already been fun. :)

Went on a hike today and made quite a find while I was peeing: ghost pipe. Harvested some and am making tincture. It's a really interesting and rare plant, used for anxiety relief, pain relief (not an opioid at all though), sleep and dreaming. My friend introduced me to it, another friend was panicking and thought they were dying from DMT, and she gave him 3 drops of a strong tincture and almost immediately he came out of his anxiety loop and started having an amazing experience. The tincture is super strong and I should have enough for a lifetime. :) Might be the only time I ever find any. Planning to experiment with it for lucid dreaming and anxiety relief and possible bad trip intervention.

It's a parasitic plant that is so much like a fungus, it emerges and grows rapidly and flowers and fruits over only a few days, does not photosynthesize, and grows parasitically, except it parasites off of fungus. Which is super fascinating, it parasites a parasite. :)

DhX6Q03.jpg

Also found a Luna moth caterpillar, had never seen one:

arQXB66.jpg

And a couple of black and white dramatic shots of a rhododendron grove and a cool tree:

7OZH8Zy.jpg

CjKRFYz.jpg

Nice @Xorkoth. Never heard of this ghost pipe thing (..first I thought this is something related to peeing, but then, reading on..). I don't really mind, but I like to think of fungi as highly symbiotic primary decomposers; parasite sounds a bit like 'I'm gonna kill you mf.. :sus:'

Apparently rhododendrons can get huuge. 😲 I feel the last two are kind of in between, I would have gone either with more contrast, more shadows to make them abstract, ..or trying to recover the highlights to make them silky high-key B&W photos. But it's your artistic choice of course. I still like..

magnificent%2B2160.jpg

been shooting with this olympus mju ii as of late. got a piece of tape on the front because the clamshell latch is broken. is probably the most hyped 35mm. the xa is a better camera. but the mju ii is convenient. sleeker contours. supposedly water resistant. point and shoot except turning off the flash (so silly that it's not a simple switch).

this photo is actually taken with an xa. whatever. this is the camera didn't take the above photo with ...

olympusmjuii.jpg

Last edited:
How did you get the bands of color across the top and bottom in the photo?

just search edit photo online and you get that, iirc that's bc of smooth gradiation. You can add more noise and it goes away

it’s kodak gold 400 that is pre-exposed to light by a company called psych blues.

the bands are probably thicker. the scan was done using a fuji frontier system — crops more of the frame than is preferable. is a drug store scanner, but the sp-series offers about the best color negative scans you can get without drum mounting.

Last edited:
Wintertime! This is the infamous climbing-snow; it gets up on sign posts, creeps over fences, hell ..even up trees. This photograph is so random, so mediocre and unexciting, it just relaxes my brain. 🥴 It's like mentally leaning back, breathing out and getting swallowed up by some nostalgic stupor in which the world still felt okay. 🤤 Give it a go..
6974682340-WT.jpg

Wintertime! This is the infamous climbing-snow; it gets up on sign posts, creeps over fences, hell ..even up trees. This photograph is so random, so mediocre and unexciting, it just relaxes my brain. 🥴 It's like mentally leaning back, breathing out and getting swallowed up by some nostalgic stupor in which the world still felt okay. 🤤 Give it a go..
6974682340-WT.jpg
I think theres a bloody suitcase buried nearby ...

Edit: no reason to delete
it was a "Fargo" reference

Last edited: