• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Philippines style: Presidents urging for drug dealers to be killed results in deaths

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Justice, Philippines style: Gruesome photos show a dead man's head bound with duct tape and a sign reading 'I'm a pusher' pinned to his chest - after the president urged people to 'go ahead and kill' drug addicts

Images showing slain drug dealers with 'I'm a pusher' signs covering their chests in the Philippines have emerged after the president urged people to 'go ahead and kill' addicts.

The gruesome scenes of alleged drug dealers found shot dead in Manila on Friday are growing increasingly common as police wage a bloody war on narcotics.

The government's top lawyer called for police to kill more suspected drug criminals, as he defended President Rodrigo Duterte's brutal war on crime against mounting criticism.

36178AF900000578-3685448-image-a-1_1468277491824.jpg

Police have confirmed killing more than 110 suspects since Duterte won elections in May promising a law-and-order crackdown that would claim thousands of lives and fill funeral parlours.

As the official death toll has mounted, and other bodies not confirmed killed by police have been found with placards declaring them drug traffickers, human rights lawyers and some lawmakers have expressed deep concerns about the war on crime spiralling out of control.

In response to the criticism, Solicitor General Jose Calida held a press conference on Monday at national police headquarters to insist on the legality of the police killings and to encourage more deaths of people suspected of being involved in the drug trade.

To me, that is not enough,' Calida said of the killings so far.

'How many drug addicts or pushers are there in the Philippines? Our villages are almost saturated (with drugs).'

Duterte, who took office on June 30, has repeatedly warned that drastic action is needed to stop the Philippines from becoming a narco-state.

A lawyer and a former prosecutor, Duterte has urged law enforcers to kill those they believe are involved in the drug trade, as well as other criminals.

In one of the deadliest single incidents, police reported killing eight 'drug personalities' during a pre-dawn raid on Saturday in a small southern town.

As in the other cases, police insisted they were forced to shoot after encountering resistance.

One of the nation's top human rights lawyers, Jose Manuel Diokno, warned last week that Duterte had 'spawned a nuclear explosion of violence that is spiralling out of control and creating a nation without judges'.

Former senator Rene Saguisag, a prominent human rights lawyer during the regime of dictator Ferdinand Marcos, also criticised Duterte's statements naming and shaming alleged drug lords and police officers ahead of a formal investigation.

'Do we still probe and have a trial as part of due process? Useless, it seems to me,' Saguisag wrote in an online column last week.

Some opposition lawmakers have also called for a congressional investigation into the spate of killings.

Calida, a Duterte appointee, said he would protect police from or during congressional probes, while emphasising it was up to critics to prove allegations of abuse rather than base inquiries on speculation.

'I am here to encourage the (police) not to be afraid of any congressional or senate investigations. We will defend them ... I am the defender of the (police),' he said.

article-doc-d28zj-1wIWFIVVAKbb58de463740d7b2d2-130_634x445.jpg

article-doc-d28zj-1JvUTZpILh3c140a53f548b8eb9b-538_634x416.jpg

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3685448/Slain-drug-dealer-m-pusher-sign-Philippines.html

Wow, that article surprised me in how disturbing I found it. Usually I only skim articles on BL, but that was compelling stuff. I had no idea that things were that bad in the Phillippines!

Official repression (police raids etc) coupled with extrajudicial murders is how shitty little dictatorships fight insurgencies. I'm guessing that the people doing the murdering are probably affiliated with the police/security forces in that country. I can't wait until they have the same situation that places like Colombia and Mexico know well by now, when the paramilitaries and police realize how much money they could be making if they took over the drug trade...it always ends the same way...8)

Committing the murders and then displaying the corpses in public with messages attached to them...that's pretty messed up. That's obviously intended to strike fear into people's hearts. It's terrorism sponsored by the government and it brings to mind shit like al-Qaeda and the Mexican drug cartel beheadings

It should say "alleged drug dealers" but that wouldnt make any difference to the dead

In response to the criticism, Solicitor General Jose Calida held a press conference on Monday at national police headquarters to insist on the legality of the police killings and to encourage more deaths of people suspected of being involved in the drug trade

wow

^^^that is a scary situation. There but for the grace of George W. Bush 8) go the united states.

It is surprising that NATO isn't going there and trying to do something about it.

It's a shithole, a religious (Catholic) shithole. It makes Pakistan look like an atheist country. There are signs everywhere, and I mean everywhere, saying things like "Become a God addict, not a drug addict". Meanwhile whole families sleep in their own excrement in the streets of Manila. You think I'm making this up? Go see for yourself. I did. I spent a month there. Travelled extensively over Luzon, Bohol and Cebu. There are some lovely people and some amazing places (google image Banaue rice terraces).

But overall its a shithole where even, especially, every MacDonalds has a doorman with a sub-machine gun. A revolver. A baton. CS Gas. And whatever else he has hidden. And not just MacDonalds. This is every major shop in Manila.

Scumfuck of a country. Never seen so many weapons. At least in Colombia you have to wear a paramilitary uniform of some sort if you have a machine gun. Not in the Philippines.

It's a shithole, a religious (Catholic) shithole. It makes Pakistan look like an atheist country. There are signs everywhere, and I mean everywhere, saying things like "Become a God addict, not a drug addict". Meanwhile whole families sleep in their own excrement in the streets of Manila. You think I'm making this up? Go see for yourself. I did. I spent a month there. Travelled extensively over Luzon, Bohol and Cebu. There are some lovely people and some amazing places (google image Banaue rice terraces).

But overall its a shithole where even, especially, every MacDonalds has a doorman with a sub-machine gun. A revolver. A baton. CS Gas. And whatever else he has hidden. And not just MacDonalds. This is every major shop in Manila.

Scumfuck of a country. Never seen so many weapons. At least in Colombia you have to wear a paramilitary uniform of some sort if you have a machine gun. Not in the Philippines.

No wonder paedophiles take a risk and go there :(

Philippines' top lawyer urges police to embrace Rodrigo Duterte's calls and kill more criminals

The Philippine Government's top lawyer has called for police to kill more suspected drug criminals, as he defended President Rodrigo Duterte's brutal war on crime against mounting criticism.

Key points:

Police have killed more than 110 people since Duterte won elections
Country's top lawyer says police haven't killed enough
Human rights lawyers warn against creating country without judges
Police have confirmed killing more than 110 suspects since Mr Duterte won elections in May promising a law-and-order crackdown that would claim thousands of lives and fill funeral parlours.
As the official death toll has mounted, and other bodies not confirmed killed by police have been found with placards declaring them drug traffickers, human rights lawyers and some politicians have expressed deep concerns about the war on crime spiralling out of control.

In response to the criticism, Solicitor-General Jose Calida held a press conference on Monday at national police headquarters to insist on the legality of the police killings and to encourage more deaths of people suspected of being involved in the drug trade.

"To me, that is not enough," Mr Calida said of the killings so far.

"How many drug addicts or pushers are there in the Philippines? Our villages are almost saturated [with drugs]."

Mr Duterte, who took office on June 30, has repeatedly warned that drastic action is needed to stop the Philippines from becoming a so-called narco-state.

A lawyer and a former prosecutor, Mr Duterte has urged law enforcers to kill those they believe are involved in the drug trade, as well as other criminals.

In one of the deadliest single incidents, police reported killing eight "drug personalities" during a pre-dawn raid on Saturday in a small southern town.

As in the other cases, police insisted they were forced to shoot after encountering resistance.

Human rights lawyer warns of 'violence spiralling out of control'

One of the nation's top human rights lawyers, Jose Manuel Diokno, warned last week that Mr Duterte had "spawned a nuclear explosion of violence that is spiralling out of control and creating a nation without judges".

Former senator Rene Saguisag, a prominent human rights lawyer during the regime of dictator Ferdinand Marcos, also criticised Mr Duterte's statements naming and shaming alleged drug lords and police officers ahead of a formal investigation.

"Do we still probe and have a trial as part of due process? Useless, it seems to me," Mr Saguisag wrote in an online column last week.

Some opposition MPs have also called for a congressional investigation into the spate of killings.

Mr Calida, a Duterte appointee, said he would protect police from or during congressional probes, while emphasising it was up to critics to prove allegations of abuse rather than base inquiries on speculation.

"I am here to encourage the [police] not to be afraid of any congressional or senate investigations. We will defend them … I am the defender of the [police]," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-12/philippines-top-lawyer-urges-more-killings/7588234

In Thailand in 2003 police and government forces killed 2,500 'drug dealers'. (They blamed it on an outbreak of gang violence). I guess Duterte feels he has some way to go yet.

So basically in the Philippines you can kill whoever you want as long as you hang a sign on them afterwards saying they dealt drugs.

In Philippines’ War on Drugs, Dealers Choose Retirement Over Death

President Rodrigo Duterte’s bloody crackdown has suspects surrendering and addicts flooding rehabilitation centers

MANILA—Thousands of drug dealers and addicts have been surrendering themselves at police stations and flocking to rehabilitation centers across the Philippines, hoping to escape a bloody war on drugs unleashed by newly elected President Rodrigo Duterte.
But there’s a problem: Authorities say they can’t cope with the sheer number of drug addicts suddenly seeking help.

A campaign pledge to take extreme action on drugs—primarily by killing thousands of suspected dealers—helped propel Mr. Duterte to a comfortable election victory two months ago. In the first 10 days after he took office June 30, police by their own reckoning shot dead around 60 suspected dealers, compared with 39 killed between Jan. 1 and May 9, the day Mr. Duterte was elected.

Police officials say the officers involved in these incidents followed the rules of engagement and were forced to shoot suspects who resisted arrest. Several lawmakers, however, have called for an investigation into the sudden increase in killings.

During a visit to police headquarters early this month, Mr. Duterte encouraged officers not to hold back. “Do your duty, and if in the process you kill 1,000 persons because you were doing your duty, I will protect you,” he said.

Like other countries in the region, the Philippines in recent years has experienced a surge in the use of highly addictive crystal methamphetamine, known locally as “shabu.” The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime says that methamphetamine seizures in East Asia, Southeast Asia and Oceania quadrupled between 2008 and 2013.

The Philippines’ Dangerous Drugs Board counted 1.3 million drug users nationwide in a 2012 study, but lawmakers have said the true figure may be nearer 10 million—one-tenth of the population. The U.N. statistics suggest methamphetamine use is more common in the Philippines than in neighboring countries.

To see drug suspects surrendering to police or users seeking rehabilitation en masse is a “happy problem,” said board chairman Felipe Rojas. But resources are urgently needed to treat them, he said.

Leaders in some of the Philippines’ poorest communities say that Mr. Duterte’s approach is doomed to fail unless his administration stops viewing the drug problem as a law-and-order issue and starts addressing it as a social one. Otherwise, they say, dealers and addicts will return to their old ways or be replaced by a new generation of offenders.

The Philippines has 45 rehabilitation centers nationwide—too few to cope with the number of addicts being driven into the open by the antidrug campaign, according to people familiar with the challenges of weaning addicts off crystal meth.

“Ever since May 9 there’s been huge demand,” said Guillermo Gomez, program director at Bridges of Hope, a Manila rehabilitation center. “We were full even before Duterte came in.”

Bridges of Hope only has space for 92 patients, Mr. Gomez said. But in the single largest mass surrender of drug dealers and addicts, around 4,000 individuals handed themselves into police in Davao on Saturday, filing into a large hall to sign a giant “commitment wall” confessing their crimes, the police said. In the first 10 days of July, more than 17,000 drug users surrendered to the authorities in the Davao region alone, the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency said this week, with thousands more surrendering nationwide.

Parents of addicts, worried their children will be shot by the police, are bringing them in, Mr. Gomez said.

Mr. Gomez, himself a recovering drug addict, said that without well-planned social initiatives to help people beat addiction for good, Mr. Duterte’s purge at best would produce a short-term dip in levels of drug offending.

As a young man, Mr. Gomez, now 44 years old, played soccer for the Philippines’ national junior team and majored in journalism. But close to graduation he started dabbling in shabu. For the next 15 years, his life became a morbid cycle of addiction, rehab and relapse, he said. Mr. Gomez finally won his battle with shabu five years ago and started working in rehabilitation to help others, he said.

Mr. Duterte has underestimated the economic power of the drug trade, Mr. Gomez said. When he started using shabu in the 1990s it was a pricey, imported drug available only in Manila, he recalled. But today, cooking shabu is a widespread cottage industry, which has helped to spread the drug nationally and halved the price to $2 for a single hit.

Community leaders in the central Philippine city of Bacolod said shabu has become a ubiquitous problem there in recent years.

In the Barangay 2 district, one of the city’s most deprived, community leader Victor Aliguin said one-third of the neighborhood’s 5,000 residents were actively involved in selling shabu, which they obtain in small amounts from the city’s drug networks. Pushing has become the only way to make ends meet in a former fishing community whose waters have been fished out, he said.

“Duterte doesn’t understand the problems we have in small communities where people depend on selling drugs to survive,” said Mr. Aliguin. “Duterte needs to prioritize jobs, not crime—then people wouldn’t need to sell drugs in the first place.”

But in nearby Barangay 26, community leader Tony Arroz said Mr. Duterte’s plan to eliminate drug dealers first and foremost was the correct approach. He identified several local dealers he planned to target in support of Mr. Duterte’s clampdown.

“He’s a pusher,” Mr. Arroz said, pointing to a young man loitering outside a food stall drinking a beer. “He’s a pusher, too,” as another rode past on a flashy motorbike. “Drugs are rampant here. I’ve been shouting about fighting drugs for so long, but until now I’ve been a one-man army.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-phil...alers-choose-retirement-over-death-1468509951

I have visited around 40 countries in the world. The Philippines is perhaps the only one where drugs were not visible or easily available to buy. I could be wrong but I do not recognise the picture being painted, either generally or by that WSJ article above. My own belief is this is some sort of murderous coup on the public at large where deaths are being allowed, encouraged, and going unchallenged. The country is one of the most corrupt in the world. I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Duterte's arse. Or those of his supporters.

The Philippines is the only country in the world that willingly exports its population. This is why my country and others are full of Filipino nurses, nannies etc. Where there aren't religious posters dominating the scenery in the Philippines, there are often big adverts for agencies advertising jobs abroad. The country is too small to sustain its population. This is why they literally export people.

But there's nothing like a good war to solve a population crisis too. Life is cheap in the Philippines. For years they had to put up with Marcos. Now they have Duterte, from a similar dynastic family, giving out extra-judicial justice.

It's a scumfuck of a country that has held on to the worst of American imperialism. Guns and burgers. I was treated well there. I would never go back.

Drug addicts in jail cells and dealers' bodies littering the streets: 60,000 people turn themselves in to authorities in the Philippines after the president tells citizens to 'go ahead and kill' drug users

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte, dubbed 'The Punisher', has waged a war on drugs throughout the country
After winning elections in May this year he has urged citizens to kill suspected drug users and dealers

Police have confirmed killing more than 110 drug suspects since the president came to power
Communications Office Secretary Martin Andanar said 60,000 drug dependents have surrendered to authorities
WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

Nearly 60,000 Filipino drug addicts have surrendered themselves to the government after President Rodrigo Duterte urged citizens to 'go ahead and kill' drug dealers and users.
Mr Duterte, dubbed 'The Punisher', won elections in May and promised a law-and-order crackdown on drugs.

'These sons of w****s are destroying our children. I warn you, don't go into that, even if you're a policeman, because I will really kill you,' the president told an audience during a speech in the country's capital, Manila.
Presidential Communications Office Secretary Martin Andanar said close to 60,000 drug dependents have surrendered to authorities since the administration began its intensified campaign against drugs.

364B290D00000578-0-Filipinos_allegedly_involved_in_illegal_drugs_handcuffed_togethe-a-31_1468573236104.jpg

364B542B00000578-0-Filipino_inmates_are_seen_inside_a_jail_in_Manila_Close_to_60_00-a-34_1468573236140.jpg

Police have confirmed killing more than 110 drug suspects since the president came to power, while local news reports suggest that figure is around 200.
At least 43,000 alleged drug traffickers have been 'neutralised' and 300kg of shabu, a highly addictive methamphetamine, has been confiscated, according to local reports.

President Duterte has warned of widespread bloodshed as part of the government's war on drugs.
He vowed on one occasion during the election campaign that 100,000 people would die, and so many bodies would be dumped in Manila Bay that the fish there would grow fat from feeding on them, according to the South China Morning Post.

Duterte has also told police he would protect them from legal consequences if they killed drug dealers, the Post reported.

Last week, gruesome images showing slain drug dealers with 'I'm a pusher' signs covering their chests emerged.
The grim scenes of alleged drug dealers found shot dead in Manila last week are growing increasingly common as police wage a bloody war on narcotics.

The government's top lawyer called for police to kill more suspected drug criminals, as he defended president Duterte's brutal war on crime against mounting criticism.
As the official death toll has mounted, and other bodies not confirmed killed by police have been found with placards declaring them drug traffickers, human rights lawyers have expressed deep concerns about the war on crime spiralling out of control.

364B3BB100000578-0-image-a-37_1468573236641.jpg

364B538F00000578-0-image-a-45_1468573237004.jpg

Cont -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-citizens-ahead-kill-drug-users-dealers.html