View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Philippines complains drug war reports hurting tourism

poledriver

Bluelighter
Philippines complains drug war reports hurting tourism

Getting Away With Murder?

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has pledged to slaughter every drug dealer and addict in the country, making way for death squads and encouraging vigilante killings. Dateline investigates what his tough justice really looks like.

THE Philippines tourism secretary has urged the media to “tone down” coverage of President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadly drug war, complaining that reports on extrajudicial killings were scaring away foreigners.
On a trip to Thailand accompanying Duterte, Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo insisted the Philippines was a safe destination but said journalists were making the country a hard sell because of their focus on the killings.
“Help us because you know, it’s really difficult for me to sell the Philippines, especially when extrajudicial killings becomes the topic,” Teo told Filipino reporters following the Duterte entourage.

Teo said tour operators abroad were “always” asking her about the issue, citing Asia and Europe as regions where people were particularly concerned.
“I would always say it’s safe in the Philippines,” Teo added.
“To the media, please tone down a little the extrajudicial killing (reports),” she said.
Duterte was elected last year after promising during the campaign to eradicate drugs in society by killing tens of thousands of people.

Since he took office nearly nine months ago, police have reported killing 2594 people in the drug war while rights groups say thousands more have been killed in a state-sanctioned campaign of mass murder.
While most of those killed have been poor people living in slums, some foreigners have also died.

Duterte briefly suspended all police from the crackdown in January after it was revealed anti-drugs officers used the drug war as cover for kidnapping and murdering a South Korean businessman.

But, after describing the police force as “corrupt to the core”, Duterte brought their services back a month later and vowed to continue the crackdown until all drug traffickers were off the streets or killed.
Duterte has over the past year become a well-known figure internationally because of the drug war and his caustic rhetoric against critics.
Duterte this week boasted that calling then-US president Barack Obama a “son of a whore” had made him famous.
He then used more foul language to respond to criticism from European politicians of the drug war, and called them “crazies”.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...SF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

so instead of stopping the at will killing of suspected drug users....they just want the media to stop reporting on it

My girlfriend has visited the Philippines (years before this) and I've told her we're never going there as long as this state sanctioned mass murder is going on. It's not fucking safe. The police kidnapped and murdered a foreigner and they want us to feel 'safe' there? Fuck off.

Somebody I knew went to Phillipines during this (she's Filipino) and smoked weed while she was there. I wasn't against something happening to her just to make a point. Well 2 points, that Phillipines is shitty, and that she's dumb for going and doing that...

Jeez I wonder why that is...I bet they have cops posing as dealers for tourists a d when you hand over your money you get a 9mm to the face instead of your meth.

Plus I read duterte is a fent abuser...Dudes probably ly a wife beater child molester. Someone that extreme who can just kill ppl with no remorse has no place in society let alone running a big country with tons of problems...Someone needs to step up and say you are the problem, will likely never happen bc that person would end up in multiple dumpsters across Davao city.

Was a place I wanted to visit one day but not untill rod is out of power, or even better, 6 feet under....Actually just chain him up with cimderblocks and throw him in the ocean like the piece of shit he is.