• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

phenylethylamine is a psychedelic?

I'm not really sure what makes you think the interaction of phenethylamine with 5-HT receptors is "relatively strong". The affinity listed for 5-HT2A was 32,000 nM, which is ~6-fold lower than mescaline.

I've heard of it acting as a strong TAAR1 agonist but not at those 5-HT receptors. I can't seem to properly access the source you've posted but trace amines are known to act at quite a few sights throughout the brain. Same deal with tyramine and other's that are usually broken down by MAO A/B before reaching the brain.

Relatively, compared to amphetamine for example.

I was wondering because I got a visual and auditory "rush" from PEA.

Last edited:
Relatively, compared to amphetamine for example.

I was wondering because I got a visual and auditory "rush" from PEA.

Using an MAO inhibitor or just taking a massive amount? People who use selegiline to try to potentiate PEA often mistake the effects of selegiline's metabolites for PEA. From what I understand its hard to get PEA up through the BBB because its destroyed so rapidly before getting anywhere near the brain. The only way would be to risk the use of an irreversible MAO-A inhibitor. A safer MAO-B inhibitor won't do it because both enzymes breakdown PEA.

Phenethylamine is MAO-B selective and it isn't a psychedelic drug.

MAO-A also plays a role in breaking down PEA. People can be born without the gene to produce either enzyme. Those without MAO-A are born mentally retarded. Those without MAO-B live perfectly functional lives with only slightly levels of PEA in their urine, indicating that MAO-A and a number of other enzymes are involved in the metabolic process. Just a few from the list: ALDH, MAO-A, SSAOs, PNMT, AANAT and FMO3.

"MAO-B selective" doesn't mean MAO-A doesn't break it down. It means that MAO-B plays a much more significant role in its metabolism than MAO-A.

Well if you want to get technical MAO-B is selective for phenylethylamine :p What you said is correct though.