• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Phentermine for Binge Eating Disorder

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hello guys.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

I suffer from Binge Eating Disorder and I am considering getting this medication since I have read that it greatly decreases appetite and apparently do not present much risk of dependence or addiction. Does it work? Has anyone taken it?

I am currently within normal weight but my body fat has increased a lot since I began to overeat.

Seems effective if indicated but the idea is to get off of it after your body is through with telling the brain that it feels like it's starving.

Seems effective if indicated but the idea is to get off of it after your body is through with telling the brain that it feels like it's starving.

Do you think it causes a rebound effect when you stop taking it? I plan to take it with a hypocaloric diet and some exercise.

I have a binge eating problem. Overweight. Thought about asking my doctor for this medication but I dont want anything that makes my heart race. Do you know if this one does? Or any that don't cause jitters..

Do you think it causes a rebound effect when you stop taking it? I plan to take it with a hypocaloric diet and some exercise.

It's designed to be used with dieting and exercise. For the exercise I can really vouch for.

It's hard to say if you'll have a rebound effect. I suspect that there will be bumps when you get off of that medication, but if a good doctor thinks it's a good idea, then that should be reasoning enough.If you anticipate a little blow-back after stopping use, then it may be easier to deal with.

I don't think it's a good idea to suddenly stop eating fat/sugar, because you'll have worse cravings that way, and risk resuming an unhealthy diet. But however the doc lays it out, and it's a good idea to create a plan with them, that's how to do it. It has three prongs, maybe more. Food can be as addictive as hard drugs. You want to be entirely ready when you go for it. Practice dealing with cravings. Cravings don't last long, but they can be very, very intense. Look up some possible tips.

But at the same time, you don't want to get too scared or the thing could be botched.

I have a binge eating problem. Overweight. Thought about asking my doctor for this medication but I dont want anything that makes my heart race. Do you know if this one does? Or any that don't cause jitters..

Why not ask the doctor what they would recommend? Regardless, as alluded to above, you're going to need to be ready with a "plan of attack", so to speak.

Yes, apparently one of the common side effects of Phentermine is the fast heartbeat. If you have problems related to the heart, I don't think you can take it.
When I took it years ago (stupidly in a recreational way) it didn't cause me the typical jittery of caffeine. The only bad thing was that it made me sweat a lot and some insomnia.

It's designed to be used with dieting and exercise. For the exercise I can really vouch for.

It's hard to say if you'll have a rebound effect. I suspect that there will be bumps when you get off of that medication, but if a good doctor thinks it's a good idea, then that should be reasoning enough.If you anticipate a little blow-back after stopping use, then it may be easier to deal with.

I don't think it's a good idea to suddenly stop eating fat/sugar, because you'll have worse cravings that way, and risk resuming an unhealthy diet. But however the doc lays it out, and it's a good idea to create a plan with them, that's how to do it. It has three prongs, maybe more. Food can be as addictive as hard drugs. You want to be entirely ready when you go for it. Practice dealing with cravings. Cravings don't last long, but they can be very, very intense. Look up some possible tips.

But at the same time, you don't want to get too scared or the thing could be botched.

Thanks for the advice AlphaMethylPhenyl.

I don't plan to cut fats or carbohydrates altogether. Just decrease them a little. And you're right about the cravings because, every time I restricted certain foods or ate too few calories, I ended up bingeing on all that food that I had cut and was banned in my diet (sweets, ice cream, chips, chocolate, pizza, cereal, etc.). I went from anorexia / orthorexia to binge eating disorder. Basically the same thing that happened to people in the Minessota starvation experiment.