• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Phenibut-xanax cross tolerance?

tom82910

Greenlighter
Hey guys, Does anyone know if there is any cross tolerance between phenibut and xanax? I use xanax only occasionally for high anxiety situations like public speaking, but I was wondering if using phenibut would create any cross tolerance with xanax, since they both are GABA agonists? Anyone know? I haven't been able to find any clear info on this.

Hey guys, Does anyone know if there is any cross tolerance between phenibut and xanax? I use xanax only occasionally for high anxiety situations like public speaking, but I was wondering if using phenibut would create any cross tolerance with xanax, since they both are GABA agonists? Anyone know? I haven't been able to find any clear info on this.

Hi lovely, I have used many antidepressants and valium/tomazipan, before being diagosed bipolar 2. Taken phenibut. I love phenubit as it gives me low mania (bipolar) so I think I can do anything except non human things like flying etc. I would be careful of doing xanax and phenibut together unless you have bipolar or adhd as you might start slurring speech feeling sleepy.

I like alcohol to be confident and calm or dex and alcohol, have a triple shot of vodka in a coffee or red bull ( no smell) 20 minutes before you will be alert and confident But try it out first, don't do it on the day. Its silly really though as we are all different (e.g. dex sends me to sleep and valium makes me aggressive alcohol makes me hyper and marijuana does nothing) so I might not be the best source of info. Phenibut with coffee made me euphoric at work one day and I told me boss he was doing things the wrong way. It was like the movie Luckily he liked it and I was correct ;0- It was like limitless. I know everything and I was correct and fast and efficient. Slept wll that night ;p Next time I did the same thing I felt like throttling someone. Im female and they don't test on us for a reason ;p lots more going on hormone wise

I wouldn't worry about the cross tolerance as the tolerance to phenibut itself skyrockets faster than any substance on the planet. I am scripted diazepam and also developed a phenibut addiction I've since kicked. Cross-tolerance was never an issue that I could notice because my tolerance to the latter went up so fast it wouldn't have made a difference. The phenibut did not, however, increase my diazepam tolerance. I did wonder the same thing before I began taking phenibut.

Be very, VERY careful with phenibut. Do a search here for the experiences (including my own) and you can read the horrors that come with phenibut use when you lack discipline...

phenibut is a gaba B agonist and a gabapentinoid, similar to GHB. At very high doses it is thought to have some gaba A agonism as well. Gaba A receptor is where benzodiazepines bind and register their effects.

So, they both bind to gaba but at different sites. IME, there is not cross tolerance per se, it feels to me like drinking alcohol and taking benzodiazepines.

I have a long time clonazepam Rx and had a good month long run with phenibut daily doses of 2.5 grams. As stated above, be careful. I've never experienced a withdrawl quite like that and I've kicked IV heroin and cocaine, plus multiple Rx, alcohol addictions. Phenibut wd gave me the worst panic episodes I have ever experienced. I barely slept for a week. it put me in my place real quick. took a day or two to realize what was happening. At first I didn't believe it, seemed too intense for such a short duration of use. Not to mention I was still taking clonazepam daily. But it was absolutely pheni withdrawal.

because phenibut last so long in the system, WD effects often don't present until 48 hours post last dose. So two days of not using phenibut and I became increasingly ill and anxious.

now I use phenibut twice a week or so at doses of 750mg to 1gram to synergize with other meds. I don't drink alcohol so pheni is my special treat a few times a week after work.

short answer: you can use both, just be careful and lower your dosage of alprazolam if you plan to mix. There may be some cross tolerance but general tolerance and addiction to phenibut would be on my mind a lot more than alprazolam tolerance.
Be safe!

Last edited:
I fully concur on the phenibut being much more of a concern in terms of tolerance and withdrawal than benzos. And like the previous poster, my benzo script (diazepam) didn't even totally alleviate the phenibut withdrawal, nor did it help me sleep somewhat normally during those few weeks after discontinuation. I also experienced muscle spasms and ticks, the latter for weeks.

I've been on benzodiazepines for the better part of 13 years, at times abusing them in a MAJOR way. I had a phenibut habit for less than a year and my extremely high doses lasted only a few months... the phenibut and its withdrawal caused me more problems than benzos ever did.

Sorry if this sounds repetitive... Like was also mentioned, one hits GABA a and the other GABA b, hence why phenibut withdrawal isn't fully alleviated with benzo use, and why cross tolerance is minimal. Again I stress, as I have in other posts, be very careful. Stay away altogether if possible.

Hi aspiring chemist. Im interested in you experiences. I love phenibut but having bipolar it makes me manic. Not thinking I'm jesus manic but like everything slowsdown and I know what Ihave the limitless movie feeling ;p. I also have ADD and not even the prescribed dexamphetamine does this to me. I have a drinking problem and take dex while drinking sometimes and neither make me feel anything anymore really... just hot and appetite. Could I take dex and phenibut do you think? Dr gave me temazipam but that does nothing either, same as marijuana :(

Godstone,

the dex doesn't push you through the roof but phenibut does?
I work in behavioral health and a lot of patients with bipolar type disorders take gaba B agonists - mainly gabapentin or baclofen and this aids in continued stability.

Your reaction is not typical I'd say, though I've heard people say it can feel like mdma (not my experience) and perhaps this is the 'mania' you feel. do other gaba B agonists cause the same reaction in you?

stimulants aren't my thing anymore and admittedly the area I have the least knowledge in. I love opiates...

in psychiatry, as you currently are witnessing, the concurrent use of a CNS stimulant and benzodiazepine is common practice. I believe you mentioned dex and temazepam.
So the answer isn't that simple. I mean, sure you can mix them. The question is what is going to happen?
there should be no toxic interaction between these two. My main fear would be overdoing the amp to account for anxyolisis.
If it were me I'd use dex in the AM and phenibut to smooth out the crash :)

Dear aspiring chemist,

Sorry for my late reply. I did not get a notification of your response or I deleted it (to much mail in yahoo account) Back on here again with another query but your answer was very interesting to me. The Dex, does not "push me"at all, but makes me calm, hence the ADHD diagnosis ( I can also drink coffee with it). Dex about 10mg and phenibut makes me a bit euphoric. But I know I should not do that. In my latest post I have complained that I have a fridge full of things that do nothing for me ( don't want to rely on them) except alcohol, which I am trying to get off. This is an issues as its the easiest to purchase!!!! So currently I have in my fridge: Dexamphetamine, temazapam, zanax, valium, prozac and some Oxycotin my husband took for neuralgia (which I dare not touch). The best for me is alcohol or Dex at 10mg with a red bull or phenibut. Get lots done then and am assertive and clear thinking. This last about three hours. Isn't it weird that taking legal prescription medication does not make you feel guilty at al! i don't really take the benzos as they make me really really grumpy/aggressive. afterward (very bad come down). My psych said I have Ultra rapid cycling bipolar two which may be why drugs don't hang out in me for very long. Thanks for your knowledge and replies