• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Phenibut CT failure - let's taper instead

fooman

Greenlighter
Hey all,

I hope this is the right place to post this. Looking for some support and hopefully my story can help others trying to taper off. It starts like a lot of the ones I've read. I found phenibut online, and it did a lot for my anxiety. I found it during a really tough time in my life about 4 months ago. It actually helped me out quite a bit. But I started using it daily and decided it was time to stop. I was up to 1.5-2g per day.

Here's where my story might be a little different. Instead of tapering, I just went cold turkey about a week ago. Bad idea. I should have done more research first. The anxiety and depression have been intense. Very intense. Not worth enduring any more, if a sensible taper can be done instead. So I've decided I need to reset and start tapering instead. I've read threads of people who took double my daily intake and tapered down fine.

I've just downed the first 500mg I've had in a week. The knot in my stomach is already loosening, the stupid panic and anxiety is at bay. Tomorrow I'm going to gauge where I am and might have to go back up to 1.5-2g where I was (I was doing 500mg 3-4 times/day). Hopefully I can only do 500mg-1g per day, since I've had a week off, but I'll take what I need to stop the w/d effects. Then, once the panic attacks and waves of depression stop, I will begin to taper like I should have from the beginning. I think I want to go very slow, like 50mg per day down. Right after I post this I'm going to order a scale that can measure at such a fine granularity. I only have the scoop now.

I'll post along the way how I'm feeling, how it's going and hope it helps anyone else. I'm confident after reading other posts here I can ease myself off this with minimal problems, like I should have from the beginning.

Thanks for reading!

It appears that scales at the precision I need are extremely expensive 8o

I think I might just dilute 500mg in water and divide the liquid appropriately.

I quit Phenibut cold turkey. 3 weeks with dosages that increased towards 4g daily at the end. Its hell. Going on to day 5 still no sleep. Be careful guys

Last edited:
Milligram scales definitely don't have to be expensive. Just take a look here:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=348436

Otherwise you could consider volumetric measurement. Make a 20% ethanol solution using everclear or 50% vodka+50% water... if you use pure water then definitely only make small batches and keep solution in the fridge... anyway using an oral syringe (just to measure, no needle) bought at the pet store to give your pet medications, you can relatively accurately measure parts of a measured volume - so that way you can take part of a weighed bigger dose or part of a number of scoops.

I personally think people are taking rather high doses anyway, when I took phenibut I cycled it on and off and took more like 500-750 mg I think rather than the multi grams doses. Yeah on occasion I got bad feels from taking it daily, but IMO people should be less surprised that you get dependent if you take a lot for a while. It's not stuff that lets you get away with everything, clearly...

I believe you guys if it is markedly more difficult than say taking pregabaline or gabapentin for a while and quitting - although you'd have to adjust for the dosages taken.

Maybe take some theanine instead?

Maybe take some theanine instead?
I have some of that, and I think I might substitute that in as I taper down on the phenibut. In other taper threads I've read about that being used, along with some other mild legal substances to help take the edge off.

My plan is, if I'm feeling the effects of the taper on any one day, I'll down some theanine, level off the taper and let my body get used to the smaller amount of phenibut with the assist of theanine or similar. Then begin tapering again when I feel back to normal.

I haven't had any since the 0.5g last night. I feel alright. Going to see if I even need to get back up to my 2g level to stave off w/d. I might be able to start at a lower level since I've had a week off... Will update everyone.

Oh, and I have one of those pet oral syringes, good idea, that's what I'll be using to measure out doses!

Updates:

Had another 0.5g at 2pm. If I have another at 8pm like last night, that will be 1g per day total. I'm thinking I probably won't have to go up to 2g/day like I was, I will probably max out at 1-1.5g and start the taper from there.

Other news; ordered a milligram scale at a reasonable price (thanks Solipsis), coming my way later this week. By then I'll know what my baseline is to start tapering from.

pharmacy will have oral syringes or the little plastic measuring cups for free, just ask the pharmacist.

just a little update, another 1g total yesterday. Quite a drop from my 2g/day I was doing a few weeks/months ago. That's about what a week of cold turkey got me. Not bad actually. But I would rather not have another week like that lol. I would rather taper from here ^_^. Scale is in the mail.

I have some things for anxiety that include theanine, inositol, passionflower, lemon balm, kava, and more (lol). Hoping to substitute some of that stuff in higher dosages, temporarily, as I lower dosage of phenibut. Any informed advice on what otc substances are best for phenibut tapering is appreciated.

Thanks for reading

just a little update, another 1g total yesterday. Quite a drop from my 2g/day I was doing a few weeks/months ago. That's about what a week of cold turkey got me. Not bad actually. But I would rather not have another week like that lol. I would rather taper from here ^_^. Scale is in the mail.

I have some things for anxiety that include theanine, inositol, passionflower, lemon balm, kava, and more (lol). Hoping to substitute some of that stuff in higher dosages, temporarily, as I lower dosage of phenibut. Any informed advice on what otc substances are best for phenibut tapering is appreciated.

Thanks for reading
1g is a 50% drop! Maybe try 1.5? How is the dose holding you ? Sleep good?

Yeah I'm pretty happy only 1g is holding me so well. I might go up to 1.5 if I feel like I need it, but luckily haven't felt the need yet. Two months ago 1g wouldn't have lasted me half the day. Giving me some hope.

Sleeping fine, yup. In fact I'm sleeping a little "too much" (depression symptom). Melatonin, passionflower and valerian root I think might be helping me fall asleep. I also had a Benadryl last night which also helps with sleep.

I woke up with a lot of anxiety and depression today, but after 0.5g it dissipated. It's also helped me meditate which I just finished 15m of, helped me a lot. During the cold turkey week I couldn't even focus enough to meditate.

I anticipate needing another 0.5g sometime this evening.

I'm so confused right now. I need some help and I'm trying to keep my thoughts together. I truly have ADHD (some people find this something to joke about) but I am not medicated for it. Need a new shrink for that.

A few weeks ago I kicked heroin. I feel like I "cheated" because I had an arsenal of stuff to help me. My shrink prescribed me Gabapentin 800mg when I first started seeing her two years ago. I suffer from panic and anxiety and I had asked her if there was something I could take that was not an opiate, but would help with pain. So if you read the laundry list that Gabapentin is prescribed for, it would make you want to try it. She gives me 120 a month, says take 4 per day. I never did that. I used them for my back pain and then I noticed they helped with sleep sometimes..

She also prescribes me .25mg of xanax. I told her I might as well throw that dose out the window because I need at least 1mg for it to work. This is not something I take on a regular basis, more like when it's an "emergency". I've already danced with xanax being addicted. Once you stop all drugs and stay totally sober for a decent amount of time, at least a year. Getting high is totally different. I've kicked several drugs off my list so far. So far xanax is proving to be the most painful physically as well as mentally. I was taking it for 15 years straight. Almost died because first time I Tried to quit cold turkey. I didn't know I could have a seizure..and I didn't.

I was using these forums to find help with the Phenibut and Gabapentin, and did find some useful information but I had different experiences.

One of my doctors had told me I had a fast metabolizing liver, because I had asked him why I could take higher doses of things than most people. Lucky me!

I purchased some Phenibut powder form. I had never heard of it before I was looking to kick. Mind you, I've been taking vitamins and such my whole life, I know a lot from experience. Phenibut seems to have slipped by me until recently!

***How is this supposed to be taken if you are trying to kick? Or even for panic and anxiety, I like to switch things up sometimes. I'm using weed to control my panic and it works 99% of the time. I go for the pills if it doesn't work, which is rare. I have a dosing spoon that came with my Phenibut and the directions say one dose equals 250mg (which would be two rounded spoonfuls on the directions here, but they say a scale is needed to accurately measure.) I wish this information was given to me from where I ordered it from so I could of purchased the scale along with the Phenibut at the same time. I have not taken it. Now, I am a little nervous! My brain is working slow at the moment, usually I'm more on point. Just going thru A LOT at the moment! IF anyone can tell me a precise way to measure without a scale? I know I just read something about it and I must apologize as I'm not "on point" as I usually am.

I have tapered down again. Today is going to be my last day. The last time I kicked I planned it out for a month. It's something you need to be mentally prepared for as well as physically.

I'm out of work at the moment so I'm trying to take advantage of the time and get myself straight here. I can't afford to buy anything extra at the moment. I'm confused to why they give me this little spoon, yet it's not good enough to measure? I was reading about diluting it in water?

This is why I can take SO much of medications I think, maybe someone out there has the same experience. (and of course that spills over into drugs NOT prescribed!):
I was diagnosed with allergies and asthma at age 6. Sounds pretty harmless. BUT my allergies and asthma were so bad I was in the hospital all the time. My mother found a doctor nearby who was giving allergy shots. At the time (1979 I was 7 years old) allergy shots were new and my mother even had to sign something that she was aware I could die from the treatments (which did happen, I went into anayphylatic shock once from bee sting venom, almost cut my throat open!)

Apologies, I also have ADHD and not medicated for it. My shrink already told me she can't help me anymore because I also have PTSD and she's not qualified for that. Then people wonder why some people end up medicating themselves with illegal drugs due to doctors not really caring. Overworked and underpaid. I'm seeing a state doctor and treated like cattle. Currently trying to find a new doc. I go see her she types in my scripts (NYC no longer has paper scripts. For a few months now. I'm not sure if this is something other states are doing yet?) tells me how good I'm doing because I lost 130 pounds or so. That doesn't make you happy. Yes your joints might thank you, and mentally you feel better but it's not a cure if you have things that ail you in your head..

SO, I was getting 20 shots a week. Human pin cushion. Shot me in the side of upper arm. I got these shots from age 7-14 before I stopped. My allergies and asthma were under control.
During all those years I was also given medication. During the day I was basically on speed. Uppers for the breathing problems. At night, my mom would wake me up at midnight to give me Actifed with Codeine (this is before Actifed was over the counter) So, to this day I don't know how to fall asleep because of all those years of Codeine. I got horrific insomnia and I hate Codeine! At 7 years old, after taking these HORRIBLE tasting liquid meds, I taught myself how to swallow a pill. There were expired antibiotics in the house. I emptied out one of the gel caps, and learned to swallow. Then I showed my mom. Learning to swallow the pills made her life so much easier too. She had to put the right amount of liquid every day in these little tupperware containers, and I had to take the meds at noon every day (see the dosing time 12/12)

I don't know if this MADE me have a fast metabolizing liver or not? Or just something you are born with? A couple of years ago I weighed 300 pounds, blew up with a bad pregnancy had a fall, broke my back, lost the baby. This isn't why I starting using it was way before then...

I have since lost the weight (was a fast gain, long story there) and now at 155. I don't notice any change in my meds, any of them being too strong at a lower weight.

I have no idea what dose or at what time, I thought it was just a sleep thing or do you take less Phenibut during the day? Please advise as the clock shall be ticking soon. I do have the panic and anxiety, and now I'm kicking.

I totally cheated the first night of no heroin. I had already taken 800mgs of gabapentin. Seems this pill takes 2 hours to 'work' . Still figuring it out. I've taken 1600mgs at the same time without getting knocked out. BUT, If I take 800mgs wait a couple of hours and take a half (400mgs) I got knocked out. I didn't know the latter the first time so I had the 800mgs of gabapentin in my system. I came equipped with an ounce of weed which I don't want to hear it, not a drug. I've been addicted to ALL DRUGS with the exception of meth and crack. Weed is my medication much better to do than get addicted to xanax or anything else. I don't get addicted to weed I know there are people who say it is. It's not physically addicting I've been there done that with drugs. I can get it prescribed since I have most of their "check list" to be prescribed it. BUT, weed is still illegal on a federal level. I would have to pay out of pocket for everything and I can't afford it. This country is backwards with medicine. The US government holds a patent for the anti-epileptic properties in weed yet it's illegal, go figure

I'm sorry to get off topic. What worked for me last time might not work this time because every time you quit it gets harder. I don't have xanax at my disposal this time around which is making me nervous as I'm afraid of the insomnia. So this is why I ordered the Phenibut. I'm taking all kinds of vitamins also have Theanine powder form now. I have that in a melatonin complex Schiff brand makes called "Knock Out" Under normal circumstances that pill does what it says! I have a problem GETTING to sleep, this pill helps with that, and 3mg of melatonin (really don't need more than that) to KEEP you asleep.

When I was going to go to sleep the first night I kicked I took 800mg gabapentin earlier in the night, I had taken all of my vitamins, including the B vitamins very important, 2mg of xanax and I smoked quite a bit of weed. I'm not sure what knocked me out, had to be the mixture. I am in NO WAY promoting anyone mixing CNS depressants (that would be the xanax and gabapentin) although if you look these medicines up they are tolerated, I am only putting out the disclaimer because I can handle such a high dose of gabapentin. I've never even seen anyone talk about 800mg pills. I feel like I'm the only one with them! LOL

I would like to try this Phenibut tonight but without a scale. I suspect the 2mg of xanax was the real help last time but I don't have them this time around. It's going to be my first night to try to sleep without anything..it's a holiday weekend that I'll be spending home! I tried to make my post "in order" it's just hard for me to concentrate right now, my apologies.

Any input on the Phenibut is much appreciated. I'm reading about people taking a much higher dose than what it says to take on my bag here. A dose equals 250mg. I keep reading about people taking 1 gram. That would be 1000mg, correct? again brain not working..

Thanks for reading, and again I am just a little compromised at the moment mentally... usually my posts would be more precise?

I'm so confused right now. I need some help and I'm trying to keep my thoughts together. I truly have ADHD (some people find this something to joke about) but I am not medicated for it. Need a new shrink for that.

A few weeks ago I kicked heroin. I feel like I "cheated" because I had an arsenal of stuff to help me. My shrink prescribed me Gabapentin 800mg when I first started seeing her two years ago. I suffer from panic and anxiety and I had asked her if there was something I could take that was not an opiate, but would help with pain. So if you read the laundry list that Gabapentin is prescribed for, it would make you want to try it. She gives me 120 a month, says take 4 per day. I never did that. I used them for my back pain and then I noticed they helped with sleep sometimes..

She also prescribes me .25mg of xanax. I told her I might as well throw that dose out the window because I need at least 1mg for it to work. This is not something I take on a regular basis, more like when it's an "emergency". I've already danced with xanax being addicted. Once you stop all drugs and stay totally sober for a decent amount of time, at least a year. Getting high is totally different. I've kicked several drugs off my list so far. So far xanax is proving to be the most painful physically as well as mentally. I was taking it for 15 years straight. Almost died because first time I Tried to quit cold turkey. I didn't know I could have a seizure..and I didn't.

I was using these forums to find help with the Phenibut and Gabapentin, and did find some useful information but I had different experiences.

One of my doctors had told me I had a fast metabolizing liver, because I had asked him why I could take higher doses of things than most people. Lucky me!

I purchased some Phenibut powder form. I had never heard of it before I was looking to kick. Mind you, I've been taking vitamins and such my whole life, I know a lot from experience. Phenibut seems to have slipped by me until recently!

***How is this supposed to be taken if you are trying to kick? Or even for panic and anxiety, I like to switch things up sometimes. I'm using weed to control my panic and it works 99% of the time. I go for the pills if it doesn't work, which is rare. I have a dosing spoon that came with my Phenibut and the directions say one dose equals 250mg (which would be two rounded spoonfuls on the directions here, but they say a scale is needed to accurately measure.) I wish this information was given to me from where I ordered it from so I could of purchased the scale along with the Phenibut at the same time. I have not taken it. Now, I am a little nervous! My brain is working slow at the moment, usually I'm more on point. Just going thru A LOT at the moment! IF anyone can tell me a precise way to measure without a scale? I know I just read something about it and I must apologize as I'm not "on point" as I usually am.

I have tapered down again. Today is going to be my last day. The last time I kicked I planned it out for a month. It's something you need to be mentally prepared for as well as physically.

I'm out of work at the moment so I'm trying to take advantage of the time and get myself straight here. I can't afford to buy anything extra at the moment. I'm confused to why they give me this little spoon, yet it's not good enough to measure? I was reading about diluting it in water?

This is why I can take SO much of medications I think, maybe someone out there has the same experience. (and of course that spills over into drugs NOT prescribed!):
I was diagnosed with allergies and asthma at age 6. Sounds pretty harmless. BUT my allergies and asthma were so bad I was in the hospital all the time. My mother found a doctor nearby who was giving allergy shots. At the time (1979 I was 7 years old) allergy shots were new and my mother even had to sign something that she was aware I could die from the treatments (which did happen, I went into anayphylatic shock once from bee sting venom, almost cut my throat open!)

Apologies, I also have ADHD and not medicated for it. My shrink already told me she can't help me anymore because I also have PTSD and she's not qualified for that. Then people wonder why some people end up medicating themselves with illegal drugs due to doctors not really caring. Overworked and underpaid. I'm seeing a state doctor and treated like cattle. Currently trying to find a new doc. I go see her she types in my scripts (NYC no longer has paper scripts. For a few months now. I'm not sure if this is something other states are doing yet?) tells me how good I'm doing because I lost 130 pounds or so. That doesn't make you happy. Yes your joints might thank you, and mentally you feel better but it's not a cure if you have things that ail you in your head..

SO, I was getting 20 shots a week. Human pin cushion. Shot me in the side of upper arm. I got these shots from age 7-14 before I stopped. My allergies and asthma were under control.
During all those years I was also given medication. During the day I was basically on speed. Uppers for the breathing problems. At night, my mom would wake me up at midnight to give me Actifed with Codeine (this is before Actifed was over the counter) So, to this day I don't know how to fall asleep because of all those years of Codeine. I got horrific insomnia and I hate Codeine! At 7 years old, after taking these HORRIBLE tasting liquid meds, I taught myself how to swallow a pill. There were expired antibiotics in the house. I emptied out one of the gel caps, and learned to swallow. Then I showed my mom. Learning to swallow the pills made her life so much easier too. She had to put the right amount of liquid every day in these little tupperware containers, and I had to take the meds at noon every day (see the dosing time 12/12)

I don't know if this MADE me have a fast metabolizing liver or not? Or just something you are born with? A couple of years ago I weighed 300 pounds, blew up with a bad pregnancy had a fall, broke my back, lost the baby. This isn't why I starting using it was way before then...

I have since lost the weight (was a fast gain, long story there) and now at 155. I don't notice any change in my meds, any of them being too strong at a lower weight.

I have no idea what dose or at what time, I thought it was just a sleep thing or do you take less Phenibut during the day? Please advise as the clock shall be ticking soon. I do have the panic and anxiety, and now I'm kicking.

I totally cheated the first night of no heroin. I had already taken 800mgs of gabapentin. Seems this pill takes 2 hours to 'work' . Still figuring it out. I've taken 1600mgs at the same time without getting knocked out. BUT, If I take 800mgs wait a couple of hours and take a half (400mgs) I got knocked out. I didn't know the latter the first time so I had the 800mgs of gabapentin in my system. I came equipped with an ounce of weed which I don't want to hear it, not a drug. I've been addicted to ALL DRUGS with the exception of meth and crack. Weed is my medication much better to do than get addicted to xanax or anything else. I don't get addicted to weed I know there are people who say it is. It's not physically addicting I've been there done that with drugs. I can get it prescribed since I have most of their "check list" to be prescribed it. BUT, weed is still illegal on a federal level. I would have to pay out of pocket for everything and I can't afford it. This country is backwards with medicine. The US government holds a patent for the anti-epileptic properties in weed yet it's illegal, go figure

I'm sorry to get off topic. What worked for me last time might not work this time because every time you quit it gets harder. I don't have xanax at my disposal this time around which is making me nervous as I'm afraid of the insomnia. So this is why I ordered the Phenibut. I'm taking all kinds of vitamins also have Theanine powder form now. I have that in a melatonin complex Schiff brand makes called "Knock Out" Under normal circumstances that pill does what it says! I have a problem GETTING to sleep, this pill helps with that, and 3mg of melatonin (really don't need more than that) to KEEP you asleep.

When I was going to go to sleep the first night I kicked I took 800mg gabapentin earlier in the night, I had taken all of my vitamins, including the B vitamins very important, 2mg of xanax and I smoked quite a bit of weed. I'm not sure what knocked me out, had to be the mixture. I am in NO WAY promoting anyone mixing CNS depressants (that would be the xanax and gabapentin) although if you look these medicines up they are tolerated, I am only putting out the disclaimer because I can handle such a high dose of gabapentin. I've never even seen anyone talk about 800mg pills. I feel like I'm the only one with them! LOL

I would like to try this Phenibut tonight but without a scale. I suspect the 2mg of xanax was the real help last time but I don't have them this time around. It's going to be my first night to try to sleep without anything..it's a holiday weekend that I'll be spending home! I tried to make my post "in order" it's just hard for me to concentrate right now, my apologies.

Any input on the Phenibut is much appreciated. I'm reading about people taking a much higher dose than what it says to take on my bag here. A dose equals 250mg. I keep reading about people taking 1 gram. That would be 1000mg, correct? again brain not working..

Thanks for reading, and again I am just a little compromised at the moment mentally... usually my posts would be more precise?
I suggest not to eye ball your phenibut dosage. I did it once and passed outnfor a day and a half. Sorry about your baby.
Phenibut is dangerously addictive because tolerance sky rockets like no meds I've taken before! Please stay away from it.

Thanks for the info. And I maybe put TMI in my post I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable I lost a baby, but it wasn't meant to be. See this is what happened. I had a really bad fall as u can tell caused a miscarriage at 4.5 months. Two slipped discs and I have sciatica. I got NO drugs in the hospital. They were talking about "we don't want to hurt the baby" and give me 1000mgs of tylenol. The baby was dead! I laughed at them. Wan't meant to be, baby had an extra chromosome as well I found out after tests..

When I went home I was given NO kind of good meds. Anti-biotic and 800mg motrin. That's it. I couldn't move. I was laid up. My ex bf had to take care of me. I was in horrible pain and I can take A LOT of pain. No one wants to give you pain pills and I think I "deserved" some at that point? So, dope is just so much cheaper and easier to get. At this point I will never take another Oxy unless I break something, etc. I can say from experience I was more sick from abusing oxy codone than heroin. When you are trying to quit that is. That makes no kind of sense because I shoot, and with the Oxy's few years ago was snorting them, eating them, no shooting. And such hell to stop! Did that cold turkey and don't recommend it! I've stopped everything I've abused one by one at one time or another, in rehab I came off everything with no kind of help, not even a benadryl for a week until a shrink saw me prescribed meds. Prozac and Trazodone. The trazodone at 300mgs maybe got me to sleep some nights. Your body gets used to it fast and then it stops to work.

I did 90 days in an expensive rehab in AZ (GOD BLESS MY MOTHER SHE SAVED MY LIFE!), did sober living for 6 months after that. When you become sober for the first time in 20 something years, getting sober is the easy part. I suffered for a week no sleep pretty much because I slept in detox before going to the rehab. They wouldn't take me because of all the drugs in my system. They asked me how I was walking around even. I didn't sleep nor on the plane so I slept in detox, they released me after 24 hours. I could of had a seizure from the 20+ mgs of xanax every day, seizure from the booze, I'm an alcoholic. I did every drug I could get my hands on before going on the plane. Coke, adderall (snort), (how my heart didn't explode I don't know) all that xanax, no idea how many Oxy's, defin more than 80mgs over 24 hours. I drank a liter of vodka before I got on the plane the night before washing down all the drugs. Heroin wasn't on the list or I think I'd be dead. SO again, getting sober is the easy part, It's the sober person you are left to deal with that is broken, and you are broken because you are abusing drugs to hide whatever pain...and you start the work to fix yourself. I learned A LOT in rehab, and I really did need the intensive therapy. Or, there's the people who get addicted by accident. I blame the doctor's for this not warning people (like I wasn't warned about Xanax ended up addicted over 15 years)

I'm blabbing here all with the back story because my body has been a dumping ground for drugs, I'm still alive, with a tolerance of a horse.

I can't believe I was totally unaware of Phenibut. I only came across good things about it until I came here..

Just to give you more of an idea of my tolerance. 300mg of seroquel and 1mg of xanax knocks me out, 99.9% of the time. Seroquel is used as an anti-psychotic and starting at 25mgs used for insomnia. The problem with Seroquel for me is that if you DON'T fall asleep after taking it you feel like HELL. I can't even describe it. Since it's a medicine that ISN'T something I was prescribed, just for SLEEP, you should not be WAKE after taking it! I have a bottle of 30 here I got last month with 29 pills in it.

Even if you never heard of Seroquel, just look at the dose. Normal people need just 25mgs most of the time to help with sleep. I need the highest dose for insomnia, 300mg AND a valium, xanax, some benzo with it. I use this Melatonin complex ("Knock Out" by Schiff brand, online about $20 a bottle. Well worth it tho) the BEST Melatonin complex I've ever tried. I first saw it in Costco and was laughing at the name! So I bought it. And it worked!! Under "normal" circumstances, not kicking, etc. the pill does what it says. Knocks you out in 20 minutes. If you try it, make sure you are ready for bed. Have a nice big glass of water after you take the pill.

The last time I took seroquel, which was 3 months ago, I was pushing my THIRD day awake due to a bout with my insomnia. My brain just doesn't shut up when I try to fall asleep. Normally I gotta leave at least an hour or two to FALL asleep. Trust me I've tried it all (well SO many!) so far with the exception of the Phenibut.

I hear people complain about "restless leg syndrome" a lot. All that is letting you know is that you are dehydrated. Your legs start to jump when you are trying to fall asleep because they are looking for WATER. I thought drinking water before bedtime will have me up all night in the bathroom. Not the case. I had NO change in bathroom visits drinking water directly before going to sleep. If anything, maybe I got up less to go?

SO my interest in Phenibut is peaked, I planned to take it tonight but I'm still not sure how much, or if I will because part of me is scared to try it.

Again my apologies. I'm running on 2 hours of sleep (another trick to help with the first night of detoxing, day before make sure you don't sleep much!) I meant to edit my above post but FORGOT to paste it! (writing it locally in a text file) Due to the brain not working, I didn't use the "edit" button. oops.

I thought this was info needed to get a good picture of how bad my insomnia can get..
thanks again for reading :)

I'm so interested in anyone's experience with Phenibut. We are all different and bodies react different. I'm just afraid of not being able to sleep tonight and just taking it out of desperation. Trying to inform myself ahead of time. Still not sure if I will try it

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. And I maybe put TMI in my post I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable I lost a baby, but it wasn't meant to be. See this is what happened. I had a really bad fall as u can tell caused a miscarriage at 4.5 months. Two slipped discs and I have sciatica. I got NO drugs in the hospital. They were talking about "we don't want to hurt the baby" and give me 1000mgs of tylenol. I laughed at them. When I went home I was given NO kind of good meds. Anti-biotic and 800mg motrin. That's it. I couldn't move. I was laid up. My ex had to take care of me. I was in horrible pain and I can take a lot of pain. No one wants to give you pain pills and I think I "deserved" some at that point? So, dope is just so much cheaper and easier to get. At this point I will never take another Oxy unless I break something, etc. I can say from experience I was more sick from abusing oxy codone than heroin. When you are trying to quit that is. That makes no kind of sense because I shoot, and with the Oxy's few years ago was snorting them, eating them, no shooting. And such hell to stop! Did that cold turkey and don't recommend it!

I can't believe I was totally unaware of Phenibut. I only came across good things about it until I came here..

Just to give you an idea of my tolerance. 300mg of seroquel and 1mg of xanax knocks me out, 99.9% of the time. Seroquel is used as an anti-psychotic and starting at 25mgs used for insomnia. The problem with Seroquel for me is that if you DON'T fall asleep after taking it you feel like HELL. I can't even describe it. Since it's a medicine that ISN'T something I was prescribed, just for SLEEP, you should not be WAKE after taking it! I have a bottle of 30 here I got last month with 29 pills in it.

Even if you never heard of Seroquel, just look at the dose. Normal people need just 25mgs most of the time to help with sleep. I need the highest dose for insomnia, 300mg AND a valium, xanax, some benzo with it. I use this Melatonin complex ("Knock Out" by Schiff brand, online about $20 a bottle. Well worth it tho) the BEST Melatonin complex I've ever tried. I first saw it in Costco and was laughing at the name! So I bought it. And it worked!! Under "normal" circumstances, not kicking, etc. the pill does what it says. Knocks you out in 20 minutes. If you try it, make sure you are ready for bed. Have a nice big glass of water after you take the pill.

The last time I took seroquel, which was 3 months ago, I was pushing my THIRD day awake due to a bout with my insomnia. My brain just doesn't shut up when I try to fall asleep. Normally I gotta leave at least an hour or two to FALL asleep. Trust me I've tried it all (well SO many!) so far with the exception of the Phenibut.

I hear people complain about "restless leg syndrome" a lot. All that is letting you know is that you are dehydrated. Your legs start to jump when you are trying to fall asleep because they are looking for WATER. I thought drinking water before bedtime will have me up all night in the bathroom. Not the case. I had NO change in bathroom visits drinking water directly before going to sleep. If anything, maybe I got up less to go?

SO my interest in Phenibut is peaked, I planned to take it tonight but I'm still not sure how much, or if I will because part of me is scared to try it.

Again my apologies. I'm running on 2 hours of sleep (another trick to help with the first night of detoxing, day before make sure you don't sleep much!) I meant to edit my above post but FORGOT to paste it! (writing it locally in a text file) I thought this was info needed to get a good picture of how bad my insomnia can get..
thanks again for reading :)
Thanks for sharing. Phenibut will help you sleep, works almost too well :) but without a proper way to measure your dose, you may end up taking too much. It takes 4 hours to kick in so you really want to get the dose right. I suggest a measuring spoon, or digital scale, or empty capsules from capsule depot.
I was impatient though the first time I took it, I took about half a teaspoon? Yep, I was out for the rest of the night and next day. Lol

Thanks for sharing. Phenibut will help you sleep, works almost too well :) but without a proper way to measure your dose, you may end up taking too much. It takes 4 hours to kick in so you really want to get the dose right. I suggest a measuring spoon, or digital scale, or empty capsules from capsule depot.
I was impatient though the first time I took it, I took about half a teaspoon? Yep, I was out for the rest of the night and next day. Lol

Wow more info. Didn't know it takes 4 hours to work. I only found out recently my Gabapentin takes 2 hours to work. Doctor's don't do their job!

I have this tiny spoon that came with the bag of Phenibut. The directions for a dose is as follows: 250mg=two rounded 15cc scoops. Do you think the scoop they provide is good enough? It should be!? I'm thinking the 250mgs will not knock me out as I keep seeing people talking about taking 1 GRAM at a time.

So, do I use the spoon to measure out 1000mgs since that makes 1gram?

My insomnia is serious. I'd rather not take xanax when I do it's a means to an end and thank God I haven't been addicted since. The only thing I could get that I know helps me sleep is xanax. Doc gave me .25 pills. The script didn't last because I have to take 4 at a time to make 1mg. When I was kicking two nights I took 2mg. so I have the rest of my "arsenal" looking to replace the xanax with phenibut this time, sounds like a good idea to me, but again, as a means to an end I don't stay on any medication daily as of now.

Half a teaspoon you took sounds like a lot!

Should I take 1mg to try? If i got knocked out for a long time, don't have a problem with that...so long as im sleeping at night not going into the next day!

Wow more info. Didn't know it takes 4 hours to work. I only found out recently my Gabapentin takes 2 hours to work. Doctor's don't do their job!

I have this tiny spoon that came with the bag of Phenibut. The directions for a dose is as follows: 250mg=two rounded 15cc scoops. Do you think the scoop they provide is good enough? It should be!? I'm thinking the 250mgs will not knock me out as I keep seeing people talking about taking 1 GRAM at a time.

So, do I use the spoon to measure out 1000mgs since that makes 1gram?

My insomnia is serious. I'd rather not take xanax when I do it's a means to an end and thank God I haven't been addicted since. The only thing I could get that I know helps me sleep is xanax. Doc gave me .25 pills. The script didn't last because I have to take 4 at a time to make 1mg. When I was kicking two nights I took 2mg. so I have the rest of my "arsenal" looking to replace the xanax with phenibut this time, sounds like a good idea to me, but again, as a means to an end I don't stay on any medication daily as of now.

Half a teaspoon you took sounds like a lot!

Should I take 1mg to try? If i got knocked out for a long time, don't have a problem with that...so long as im sleeping at night not going into the next day!
Just take 8 scoops (1G) 4 hours before bed time. Make sure the scoops are plentiful otherwise you will under dose your self . The phenibut itself should knock you out.

OK well the bag says to use rounded scoops. I did have a scale someone stole annoyed right now I'd like to weigh it! I guess you just mix it with water? There is totally NO instructions on this bag here except the dosage

***So one thing I am VERY worried about. Taking phenibut and NOT passing out. Does one feel terrible if they DON'T go to sleep after taking that 1G? I've had this happen before with other stuff..feeling terrible because I stayed awake...Tomorrow would be the day/night I am going to try this I think, not tonight.

Thanks so much. I'm sorry I leave such long messages but I should of been on the page a long time ago..I have so much to say/share it's hard to wrangle it all with the un-medicated ADHD. 3 doctors told me I had it but one just retired. The other two were in those walk-in clinics where they tell you whats wrong, and that you have to go elsewhere for any kind of help. Been looking for a new shrink for 3 months. They are hard to find never mind you have to LIKE your shrink too. This ADHD It's like you start one thing, tiny thing distracts you so you start doing another thing. This goes on, and you have all these things you started but nothing is finished. Best I can describe it in a short version. Aggravating to say the least.

I had to delete a whole paragraph because I can go on an on... sigh.

Anyhoo, I also have to do more reading because I've been taking gabapentin more than usual. No bad side effects with it there but I have to watch what I'm mixing..I'm thinking these two together are bad...more research. Spending the holiday weekend home alone. This is also something else that's no good. No friends nearby. zero support group.

Kicking is hard enough by itself. you need people around who care about you for the emotional part of it all. Just as important as the physical part. I can't control people, but I can control what medications and supplements and whatever I put in my mouth!

I'm female so I get to go thru other crap that makes things worse. I'm 44 and was told pre-menopausal (before I start using this happened, I'm aware that heroin stops a woman's period) I suffer from panic and anxiety, insomnia and the ADHD. The mental stuff I'm going thru with the hormones I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I've been awake for 3 days straight when you really start going crazy/ Just insomnia, no drugs that kept me up just my mind. After being awake for more than 24 hours I start to become manic. Manic is like overtired with some cherries on top.

So, as you see me sleeping is so important. Last night I slept two hours. I woke up. used the gabapentin to knock me out. I took 800mgs, also I knew it was going to take me more than two hours to fall back to sleep, two hours to get the gabapentin working. After two hours I take a half. That did me in!

I posted my life story earlier (LOL) about allergies, getting shots etc. Because I'm on meds for my entire life it seems I ALWAYS rotate my drugs. Even anti-histamines. I don't want to take the same thing all the time because then you risk building an immunity, or bad side effects coming off a drug (I don't need to detox off of gabapentin you know?) so even tho I'm able to knock myself out here right now, I don't like the way I have to do it. 1200mgs of gabapentin total (not at one time, I've done 1600mgs at one time didn't knock me out, but knocked out a male friend of mine that weighs more..) and what I didn't mention is I also took 5mgs of Valium. Not a large dose on it's own but with the gabapentin, it's like you took 10mgs. If you are doing any opiates, it just makes them that much stronger, but again, a risk of you falling into a coma mixing drugs!

It's more risky for me to do what I'm doing with these pills than to use my drug of choice right now which includes a needle. How crazy is that? I never had a problem with Valium works totally different than Xanax. I like the Valium because it does more than one thing. Helps panic and anxiety, and is a muscle relaxer. I was also given it for my back. Walk in clinic that didn't want to give me anything this time because it was "mental" when I walked in, gave me Valium when I went in limping from my bad back, the dose they gave me was 10mg Valium 3x a day for my sciatica and until I could see a real doc. That's crazy I would never take that much Valium. Gave me a week's worth at that dose that I saved. 20mgs a day is the cut off for me, but I don't take it every day. I only have 3 left I won't be taking much LOL

This is why I searched for different ways to sleep, the phenibut is kinda shocking to me. I also don't want to be hooked on a new drug, so I'll keep the rotating up, hoping Phenibut is something I can add to my insomnia help list!

I will start a new thread to track my progress, this one has been taken over...