• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Phenibut and tianeptine cross reaction Grand Mal seizure?

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
I had a seizure the other night on 3 grams of Phenibut and 2 grams of tianeptine sodium.

Is this common or bad? I’m prettty shaken up from the whole event

Wow 2 grams is a ton of tianeptine, before I realized it was an opioid I went up to like 150-200mg. I'm not sure whether phenibut raises or lowers the seizure threshold, as it is both a gabapentinoid (which would suggest raising) and a GABA-B agonist (GHB, another one, lowers the seizure threshold). Either way you took WAY too much tianeptine.

Yes, seizures are serious, people can die from them or get permanent brain damage. You should really try hard not to get another one. Once you have a seizure it is easier to have another, too. Be careful.

I had a seizure the other night on 3 grams of Phenibut and 2 grams of tianeptine sodium.

Is this common or bad? I’m prettty shaken up from the whole event
That is really strange considering phenibut is a well-known anticonvulsant. It is very similar to gabapentin and pregabalin..the voltage dependant calcium channel blockage should prevent much possibility of having a seizure. Perhaps you suffered from an acute withdrawal of phenibut?

The only mechanism of action that I see that could cause this is through tianeptine's serotonergic activity..which it is dubbed an SSRE(selective serotonin reuptake ENHANCER), which I do not have much knowledge on as to how enhancing serotonin reuptake affects brain or receptor activity..but the phenibut should have prevented much of any chance at having a grand mal seizure..GHB attaches to a specific GHB subsite on GABA receptors that causes convulsions at high doses..phenibut is not known to do this. GABA b and a agonism is different.

Update: further looking, tianeptine does modulate glutamate and NMDA receptors..if it causes an increase in glutamate or agonises NMDA, this could most certainly cause a grand mal seizure. Doses of this drug should also not exceed 300mg in one day, and there is at least one reported death of a large unknown dose of tianeptine being mixed with alcohol. The lethal dose is not known, but 2 grams does sound like an absolutely ridiculous amount for this drug. I know you are probably trying to acheive a strong opioid high, but I would find a more selective opioid for this purpose if that is what you are aiming for. Tianeptine has too many side effects and is not researched well enough to know if taking large doses like this is safe...and I would say that is evident by you having a grand mal seizure.

Last edited: