• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Phenibut -- A warning

truenamebrand

Bluelighter
I was unable to find any recent threads on this subject, though many exist in general. However, I would also like to share my experience with phenibut in the interest of perhaps further sparing someone from making the mistake I did. I will try and keep this somewhat brief...

I first ordered phenibut about six months ago, and I did a pretty good amount of research on it prior to actually ordering and trying it. I've had a script for Valium for about three years and while I abuse it, I haven't become dependent on it at any point in time. The first time I tried phenibut was at a dose of about 1.2 grams about 6pm in the evening, and another 1.2 or 1.5 grams when I left for work the next morning (This, btw, seems to be the way to get the most out of the substance). To be honest, it was incredible. I felt like I could climb the walls. The only comparable drug experience to it being GHB. To put it another way, it was like the anxiety relief of a benzo combined with the stimulant effect of an amphetamine, without the negative of either, and with a touch of MDMA. No other time was like the very first. Not even close. At any rate, at first I did pretty well keeping my use to once or twice a week and never using it more than two days in a row. However, as time went on, I began to take doses less on the recreational scale and more towards the therapeutic end, but much more often. Essentially, I was using it was a replacement for the Valium once I had run out -- which always occurs very quickly.

For about 2-3 months my mental state deteriorated in the form of debilitating depression. I couldn't stay awake in the middle of the day -- including while driving; I had major suicidal thoughts, almost daily; I laid in bed and cried on the weekends, for no reason other than the world was absolutely fucked and I knew I would never be happy. This ultimately culminated in me being hospitalized and, just prior to, during and after hospitalization, use of my Valium OR phenibut (the former before and during, the latter after discharge) daily for over a month. Keep in mind, the prior few months I may have taken a few days off from both here or there, but not very many in any case. After discharge from the hospital and at that point taking Wellbutrin -- which in itself can cause anxiety -- I continued taking smallER doses of the phenibut daily to "maintain" and counteract any anxiety from the Wellbutrin.

Fast forward a little bit, and I am completely dependent on the phenibut, and it is a vicious cycle and no-win situation, let me tell you. I can go a day without taking it sometimes, and that is typically when I feel the best. Then, on day 2 horrific anxiety sets in. Panic attacks like ones that led me to Valium in the first place but worse. Extreme depersonalization and almost an out-of-body experience is the only way I can describe it. And unfortunately, dosing doesn't even bring immediate effect the way it does with benzos. Then comes the comedown from the dose, which after lower doses is manageable but still very noticeable, while after higher doses has driven me to the brink of not only purposeful suicide, but just insanely reckless behavior without the conscious intention of killing myself. I have vicious mood swings, debilitating depression, crippling anxiety, I start crying for no reason while at work -- and there is no sure-fire way to nail down how to alleviate these symptoms with a taper. It is largely unpredictable at times. Essentially, my GABA receptors are fried from this shit. It's to the point where I cannot stop taking it, but also cannot CONTINUE to take it, because each brings its own hellish consequences. I have never experienced anything like this from any benzo, and I've taken several of them off and on for well over a decade. This is on a whole other level. Even the Valium only brings temporary relief from withdrawal, and insofar as it does, it is only partial relief anyway.

It is only now, in retrospect, that I realize the increasing level of depression has coincided perfectly with my increased use of phenibut. Due to the Valium not even being adequate in fully freeing myself from this shit, I went to my family doctor (who had obviously never heard of it) and explained the situation to her. Luckily she is extremely understanding and not in the least bit judgmental and we decided that gabapentin was a better option than baclofen to try and get off the phenibut. I will be picking up the gabapentin tonight and really do not want to have to take more than a VERY small dose of the phenibut for more than a couple days after starting the gabapentin. I refuse to order more, and I have very little left.

Anyway, phenibut should only be used by those with an EXTREME amount of discipline and self-control. And to be totally honest, I'd avoid even messing around as it's not even worth it. Nothing will ever come close to that first time anyway.

Phenibut discontinuation was as hard, for me, as heroin, meth, or any benzo I've ever been on.

I recommend that you use any vacation or sick days you have and flush any Phenibut you have around. Cut off your source as best you can, use the gabapentin, and go from there.

For as excruciating as the experience is, the acute phase where you're totally nuts goes by quickly. A week off of work should be enough. Then you can deal with PAWS.

One day I am going to write in detail about my phenibut experience for submission to Trip Reports.

I built up a phenibut tolerance over a period of about 6 months to a year that required a dose ranging from 10 to 20 grams in order to feel nothing in particular really whatsoever.

Due to circumstances completely beyond my control, I was forced to withdraw cold turkey from this habit. It resulted in the most bizarre experience of my life (by far), especially in terms of drug related experiences. It included a minor seizure and full blown delusions, detachment, and exposure to alternate realities. (Of course none of these were in the pleasurable sense.)

I had dreams/nightmares that made me fully aware of where some of the thick sic-fi paranoia from which Phillip K. Dick's stories were derived! I was whispering to machines that possessed highly evolved intelligence in my sleep. I finally had to go to a doctor to get a handful of lorazepam. (By the way, after a week or two of the intense WD, the lorazepam terminated all of the symptoms overnight.)

Anyway caution should be a priority with a slow dose reduction. The WD was worse than any benzo WD I have gone through. And, as JBrandon stated, probably as hard as heroin. I have never done heroin in any form, but I can't imagine a weirder, more "out there," or more physically/mentally painful form of WD than what I went through with phenibut.

I used phenibut (FAA) at a dose of 3.5 grams per day for 3 months. There were a few days where I would consume 5+ grams.

I slowly tapered myself off. It took roughly 2 months. I initially found a dose I was stable on ( 2 grams ), then reduced my daily dose by 100 mg every 2 or 3 days ( sometimes 5 days ), basically when I felt stable again. My daily doses were always taken around 8am and 8pm, split equally. The reported half life of phenibut is roughly 5.5 hours, but to me it seems to be approximately 12 hours.

My taper was slightly unpleasant at times ( disturbed sleep ), but mostly completely bearable. I was able to maintain my weight lifting routine and typical 9 to 5 work schedule. I didn't use any supplements. In my opinion, most supplements promoted to aid in withdrawal are placebo at best.

I suggest you supply yourself with enough phenibut to taper as long as necessary. Beyond everything you read online about tapering, the key to remember is to maintain stable but very slowly declining blood plasma concentrations of the drug.

I'm about 60 hours since my last dose. I have been taking the gabapentin twice a day. I should clarify, I had essentially been weaning down the past couple weeks. My doses were usually between 3 and 4 grams, though I have gone higher before and also gone much lower certain days. I was doing 900mg, then 600, then 300 for long enough that once I got the gabapentin I decided to drop the phenibut altogether.

Today being the second full day without it, well... has been pretty rough. I'm twitching constantly, seeing things out of the corner of my eyes, and the anxiety has been horrendous. In addition to the gabapentin, I have the muscle relaxer tizanidine and some kratom. I've actually had kratom CAUSE anxiety for me before, but usually only if I tried to overdue it. Anyway, after 600mg of gabapentin, 6 grams of kratom and 4mg of tizanidine, I finally leveled out a bit. Unfortunately the Valium cannot be filled for another 10 days...

The phenibut has made me extremely forgetful, confused, losing things I normally wouldn't... I can see that clearly getting worse now.

At any rate, I guess I'll find out how the next several days plays out...

Sorry to hear about this, it sounds extremely unpleasant to say the least.

I have heard pregabolin can be effective for phenibut withdrawl but I suppose gabapentin would be pretty much the same.
I have been contemplating trying phenibut, if I do I will be very, very carefull.

I hope things work out for you man.

Thanks...

It went smoother than I had anticipated. After about ten days, pretty much all withdrawal symptoms and sleep disturbances were gone. I know it could have been a lot worse, but thankfully my doses were, generally speaking, lower than many people who have become addicted to phenibut. The gabapentin did indeed help, especially with the intense body aches I was experiencing for several days after my last dose.

I got through this relatively easily compared to many, so I would strongly advise using extreme caution and discipline if you plan on experimenting with this drug. I believe it is certainly something that can be of tremendous benefit to many, if used properly. The ease with which it can be obtained, coupled with how cheap it is, makes it extremely dicey in my opinion. I can only imagine what would happen if I could obtain Valium in the same manner.... I'd probably be a vegetable in no time at all.

Best of luck if you do go ahead and give it a shot. Treat it with respect.

I been using this shit for three years now. Started hard with 4-5 grams a day and topped at 12 grams a day last year. Did a three month taper that was bad, was strapped to my sofa 24/7 (no shower in three months!!) with BAD anxiety and freezing cold, it´s like my spines were replaced with very cold IRON! Shivers, not be able to eat and headache, anxiety in every way that is possible.

At 0,6 gram I relapsed (last summer) and now, six months later, I´m tapering hard since a week ago from 10 gram a day +-5 gram . Now down to 3,5 gram a day and it´s been rough!! So far I been hospitalized four times on this shit, every-time with a BAD paranoid psychosis and death high blood pressure (210/130). Vomiting all over the place and horror hallucinations. Like worms everywhere and everyone wants to kill me. The psychosis usually last for five days to a week. never had a psychosis in my life before this (30 years of heavy drug use)

I don´t know If I can survive one more time this feels even worse then the previous times. I have 150 gram left but 200 more on it´s way. I´m such a fucking slave to this shit!! Been hooked on other drugs but this is the K I N G of BAD withdraws!!!! . I´m worried they have to sedate me! An I´m worried the roughness level of this withdraw!!

My plans´Is to do aggressive taper, when worms and shit comes and I start to hallucinate, I dose! I Mission is to come down to 2 gram a day in a couple of weeks. Thats my baseline for start the real taper!

I have this medicines:

Diazipam 15mg a day (helps little bit),
Zopiclone 30mg a night (those help me very much, they make me manage to eat some,
Lyica (helps me a bit bot works a bad form of Phenibut-fukk.

Seroquel Depot 150mg x2 a day(works really god for a couple of nights, good to cycle with)

All these I cycle.. I´m hoping to get down to 2 gram a day and the start the regular two months Taper (100mg a day).

so here we go again!!

Last edited: