• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Phenergan for Insomnia

lol i can relate man, but have you tried any of the other sedating antihistamines?
might be worth giving them a go before giving up completely and i'd be curious to hear if you have any success.

for others that are curious and haven't used antihistamines, i don't think it's fair to give something like phenergan a miss completely, i've had sleeping problems for many years and even i found it did help at first but quickly built up a tolerance.

i haven't tried any of the other sedating antihistamines on their own though, i have only experimented with mirtazapine as it is a H1 antagonist and for some has worked well in lower doses to those prescribed as an anti-depressant, but i had no success with obtaining any sedative effect worth the side effects of the anti-depressant aspect and long half life.

^ Nah aint tried any others... I'll go get some restavit and whatever else tomorrow, see if that works before I go the dreaded benzo route.

have you not used benzos (either normal or 'z' drugs) in the past?

seroquel also gets its sedative effect from H1 antagonism and only at low doses (25-50mg), so would be interesting if it worked when phenergan doesn't.

i'm curious to know if tolerance to one antihistamine means losing the sedative effect of other antihistamines?
i know for me seroquel is only very slightly sedating, but its pharmacology doesn't agree with my body in other ways.

Could take advantage of one of the many medicinal uses of cannabis.

Of course I understand that the illicit route may not be the way you'd like to go about sleeping.

If antihistamines aren't doing the job then you might need to get a script for something. i would recommend stilnox or zopiclone. both pretty similiar, and have alot less abuse potential than benzos. they also keep you asleep for longer than valium/temazepam/oxazepam etc.

Just out of interest, is the insomnia an ongoing thing for you or is it the result of drug withdrawal? if its ongoing, I caution relying on benzos or z drugs, as tolerance, side effects and in some cases addiction can follow if you use them every night for extended periods. if its for withdrawal, then these drugs can be effective in getting over the withdrawal symptom of insomnia until your body and mind right themselves.

Restavit is OTC and it contains doxylamine succinate which is a 1st generation antihistamine much like promethazine, in my experience it is slightly more sedating than promethazine but not by a great deal. I would say if your success is limited with promethazine then restavit is unlikely to yield considerably better results. .

I'd disagree. Must be different person to person. I dont' get sedation from phenergan, however restavit25mg or snoozeaid50mg (1/2 a tablet) is by far the most potent sleep aid I take when compared to prescription sleep tabs such as temaze,nitraz or stilnox.

It is unfortunate that tolerance to the sedative properties increases more rapidly than prob any real sleeping tablet. If I were to take restavit every 3 -4 days (but not every 3 days) it does a great job of knocking me out. Nothing else knocks me out the way restavit does. There is a cross tolerance between phenergan and restavit. I've discovered this when I haven't had restavit for a while but i've taken phenergan with codeine regularly. Restavit wont' work.