• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Pharmacokinetics of phenibut

belligerent drunk

Bluelight Crew
I have been puzzled by the somewhat peculiar action of phenibut (will describe my subjective experiences) on me and some other people I know, so I came up with a possible explanation and I want you more intelligent folk to tell me how wrong I am.

So let's start off with a comparison of 2 scenarios:
1) I take a one off dose, say 1g. I first start feeling something around T+1:00h, but hard to pinpoint what exactly. By about T+2:00 the feeling becomes a mix of slight sedation and a fairly weird bodily sensation. It is somewhat disphoric and jittery for a lack of better word. The feeling increases in intensity until about T+4:00 after which time the "dirty body feeling" starts to slowly go away until about T+6:00 by which time it's practically gone. The slight sedation by now is accompanied by a brightened mood, slight euphoria and decrease in inhibitions, some very minor stonedness. This, now "pure", high lasts for quite a few more hours decreasing in intensity very slowly.

2) I take 0.5g and another 0.5g about 3 hours later. The main difference I notice from taking 1g this way is the almost complete lack of the "dirty body high" part. The enjoyable aspects are less in intensity, but not by a big margin. This way the whole experience is rather pleasant, albeit taking a really long time to kick off.

So considering the fact that phenibut is not metabolized almost at all and is very polar for a drug (which means slow absorption and poor BBB crossing), I came up with this explanation: it has some peripheral action unknown to me. The jitteriness and the whole bodily sensation feels like it's not CNS-mediated so to speak. Now I don't know if the following makes sense, but it could back up the hypothesis. Since phenibut is so polar it has a tough time crossing BBB, so once it is inside and is not metabolized to a significant degree, it stays there longer than it does in the rest of the body, slowly diffusing back and getting excreted. This would explain why the dirty feeling goes away, but the high still goes on and it would also explain why the dirty feeling never arrives if the dose is split in two and taken hours apart - the concentration of phenibut in the periphery never rises high enough to be a problem, but it still manages to accumulate in the brain giving rise to the enjoyable high.

Since my knowledge in pharmacology is only on the level of a hobbyist I expect that there might be quite a few major flaws in my thinking, but I hope I don't get hung for that. Oh and by the way, how does diffusion through the BBB work? Is the direction of diffusion as simple as in the direction of lower chemical potential (or pretty much concentration of a substance in easier terms)? Because that's what I based the idea on - even if the dose is split, peripheral concentration for the most part is still higher than in the brain, so it still diffuses in until a whole lot later.

Appreciate your input.

I think the rate of diffusion (i.e the rate of change of chemical potential outside the brain) is directly proportional to the chemical potential, and the constant of proportionality is related to how lipophilic the molecule is. Not too sure though so don't take me for certain on that one.

Also note that a very high logP will actually delay the molecule getting into the brain. I heard a logP of 2 to 3 is ideal. Levorphanol has a slow onset of action. But as soon as you have that ether bridge (desomorphine - krokodil lol) then it reaches the brain very quickly. I think it could be to do with the molecule possibly getting stuck in fatty tissue.

I have been puzzled by the somewhat peculiar action of phenibut. I take a one off dose. I first start feeling something around T+1:00h, but hard to pinpoint what exactly. By about T+2:00 the feeling becomes a mix of slight sedation and a fairly weird bodily sensation. It is somewhat disphoric and jittery for a lack of better word. The feeling increases in intensity until about T+4:00 after which time the "dirty body feeling" starts to slowly go away until about T+6:00 by which time it's practically gone. The slight sedation by now is accompanied by a brightened mood, slight euphoria and decrease in inhibitions.

I too have noticed a biphasic action to phenibut. I think it might be because the parent drug affects one set of receptor systems, then a metabolite affects another one.

For the first two hours I get a distinctly 'benzo feeling' which, to me, isn't all that pleasant. At least it isn't what I'm looking for. Slowed reactions, muscle relaxation, slight dizziness and, yes, a 'benzo taste in my head'. The latter is something I get after high doses of a benzodiazepine.

At the 4th hour (like you) the 'benzo feeling' is gone, replaced by a noticeably "brightened mood" with little surges of energy. And during this phase I've lost all fear of approaching people and, in fact, I suddenly feel like talking to everybody. This is no doubt dopamine at play. But it always takes about 4 hours before this feeling kicks in.

It seems to me, with all my years of experience with things, like the initial 1 to 3 hours is affecting the GABA receptors and then, around the 4 hour mark, a strong dopaminergic effect comes into play.

One other thing I've noticed about it is, the next day I wake up feeling very optimistic. Before I started using phenibut, I'd always wake up extremely depressed. That deep dark depression has totally left me since I've started using phenibut daily.

What I don't like about phenibut is that it makes me way too emotional. Almost to the point of outright paranoia. It seems, since I've started phenibut, that every little thing hurts my feelings and everybody out there is trying to hurt my feelings. Sometimes my emotional reaction to these things flares into rage. And I've always prided myself on being a cool headed guy. Before phenibut I could let little certain things roll off of me. So it's a definite mix of good and bad.

That's interesting as I've had the opposite reaction. I'm much less apt to get my feelings in a bunch and rarely get angry anymore. Mostly I feel relaxed and empathic with a nice glow. What is your daily dose and for how long if you don't mind my asking?