• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Pharmacist filled wrong dose of Oxy (30mg instead of 10) what to do?

Alkaya

Greenlighter
Hey guys, so I went to my local pharmacy today to fill my prescription for Oxycodone 10mg IR - small round pink pills. But when I got back home I notice the pills are different color and have different imprints on them - K 9 small blue pills. I quickly googled the ID of the pills and it showed me that it is 30mg Oxycodone IR. On my receipt and the label on the bottle it says the usual information 10mg Oxy (nothing changed on the label). Now I know most of you guys will say that I hit the jackpot, but I started to ask myself these 2 questions:
1. What could happen to the pharmacist who filled the prescription if I don't return it? Can this person lose their job, or even worse go in jail? Because for sure they will notice they are missing 120 30mg oxys and have 120 10mgs more instead when they do their inventory and this kind of thing CAN KILL literally somebody. What could happen to the pharmacist?
2. I usually bring my pills to my doc, because he wants to have a "quick look" and see if they are about the number I am supposed to have on this specific day (the appointment day) and when he see a different color and imprints, I suppose he will recognize they are 30s and not 10s or at least will check the ID. So can I get in trouble with him? Or can I say that "the pharmacy gave me the pills like this and I thought it's just a different manufacture".

So what do you guys think? If there aren't any serious consequences for the pharmacist (I don't want a person to go jail or something like that) I can maybe keep them. And what about the doc? I don't see how I can get in trouble with him, when actually I am the one who is "the victim" in the case. Any thoughts?

I would definitely take them back. Let the pharmacist know the mistake.

I was going to say I'd probably just keep them (even though thats obviously not the right thing to do)

But... because of your number 2 point its probably better to bring them back. Your doc probably knows your not an idiot and noticed the difference.

^ The pharmacist would be fine, and would never notice it was you in all likelihood

You never know what will happen would store then if you have legitimate pain issues, or dependency

Q lot would disagree, however they have actually given me weaker medication, noticed before leaving, yet they would not replace them with the proper med/strength; said they could dispose of it, though would need new prescription; no one got in any trouble, afaik, and it wasn't a big deal- so may as well take advantage of it

Though doing the right thing, blah

Oh I'd be keeping them haha! That's for damn sure. Cut them up and save the extra for backup. You never know when a rainy day will come and you can't get your script filled or something. Definitely keep.

As tempting as it may be to keep these pills, I think you ought to take them back to the pharmacy and bring this mistake to their attention. You mentioned that your doctor likes to verify your pills so he will know right off the bat that these are not the right ones. It's hard to say if the pharmacist would get into trouble but they do keep a count of controlled medications.

Another thing to consider if you were to decide to use them is you would be getting a much stronger dose. This could mess up your tolerance because next month you would be going back the correct amount at 10 mg. You could divide them up like Blueeyes suggested but then you would still have the issue of your doctor wanting to eyeball them. Too much hassle in my opinion.

^ Yeah triple the dose is a lot, and your pretty much right
SIGHS- JK

Have had the opposite experience though, and it is was frustrating because they certainly do/did not care

Be warned, at this point they may not replace your RX; they may require you get a new one, as this is Schedule 2; Morales and jokes aside, that is a legitimate concern cause you walk out of that pharmacy, and IME, they do not care.

Perhaps call and explain and have them verify stock if you haven?t already began cutting them up or taking them to up chances... No idea what S2 regulations would be

The pharmacy will definitely just throw them away and probably make you get a different script. I would just cut in half and keep them,,,, not because I would want to be dishonest but because it will come back in some way that you will get screwed and have no medicine.

I would honestly just count my blessing and keep them. They will probably blame an employee before they blame you if you're not already under any sort of scrutiny.

Here in Iowa if it's anything stronger than codeine, 2 ppl in the pharmacy have to sign off on the count.
So if two of them didnt notice .... screw the pharmacy.

You can try sticking to your story with your doc but he may think you're screwing with him--- like you used up your whole month script n bought these under the table.

I dunno. No matter what you do its highly likely you'll be the one screwed over. Sad but true.

I would call your doctor's office and tell them, instead of the pharmacy. Tell them you THINK you got the wrong medicine, looked it up and are pretty sure it's 30mg instead of 10. Your doctor's office is (hopefully) a lot less likely to screw you and have you end up with no medication.

Unless you are superhuman, you could be in real danger of getting yourself a higher tolerance than what you are RX'd with this situation. If you do that, this will be the beginning of a slippery slope that will not end well.

When did pull counts become an apperantly common occurrence?

Just curious, don?t get the sea dogs on me- they seriously have dogs, people, although they are Jack Russels, and not really that harmful- except that prick Wishbone- mean little guy, he?ll get ya every time

Detective First Grade Babylegs is bad too, if he can catch you...

IME.you would definitely need a new script, so if you were to bring this to the attention of your doctor, he could give you a new script right then and there. As for your pills, if you turn them back into the pharmacy, I believe they are required to destroy them. I'm would sort of be inclined to keep them and divide them up so like others have said, so your tolerance doesn't spike. If your doctor does look at them, just play dumb and tell him that this is what they gave me. Let him take it from there.

I agree, the pharmacy has put you in a bit of a bind but this is what I think I would do since you asked. Good luck!