• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

PETA’s Stand Against Addiction Research on Animals

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Why People With Addiction Should Back PETA’s Stand Against Addiction Research on Animals
A recent column on Substance.com suggested that animal rights activists are exploiting anti-addict prejudice. But addiction studies using animals, as well as being cruel, waste resources that should be spent on real benefits for people with addiction.

Katherine Roe | April 9 said:
Addiction experiments on monkeys, mice and other animals have come under fire from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and others because of the incredible cruelty involved in forcing animals to become addicted and then studying the effects by tormenting and killing them.

In a column last week on Substance.com, titled “Animal Rights Activists Are Exploiting Prejudice Against People With Addiction,” the suggestion that efforts to end these experiments are based on a misunderstanding of addiction or a willingness to marginalize the plight of people suffering from addiction is misinformed. The real reason that harming animals in this way is an especially egregious waste of life and billions of dollars is that these studies do not benefit addiction sufferers because they can never adequately recapitulate this multifaceted and uniquely human affliction.

As a neuroscientist, I recognize that addiction is a devastating, complex affliction with biological, environmental and social roots, and that it is critical for scientists to continue investigating its underlying causes and potential treatments. However, the dependence on oversimplified experiments conducted on the wrong species for these investigations is unethical, archaic and ineffective at elucidating either causes or treatments.

For a recent experiment at Harvard Medical School examining the similarity of biological and behavioral responses to methamphetamine, nicotine and nicotine-related substances, squirrel monkeys were locked in restraint chairs, had electrodes placed on their shaved tails, were injected with various compounds and forced to press a lever to avoid being repeatedly shocked. At high doses, the monkeys began drooling and vomiting. The project has received more than $500,000 since 2012 despite its obvious irrelevance to any actual conditions faced by addicted people..

In a recent study by a team at Columbia University’s Department of Psychology that has received nearly $1 million, female monkeys were isolated in metal cages, surgically implanted with catheters, immobilized in restraint devices and trained to pull levers in exchange for infusions of cocaine. The researchers concluded that cocaine use does not vary across the female monkey’s menstrual cycle, something they acknowledged was already known from studies in human drug users.

In another set of recent experiments conducted at Oregon Health and Science University and Wake Forest University looking at the effect of alcohol exposure on the brain, monkeys were locked alone in cages and given only water spiked with ethanol to force them to develop dependency on the drug. They were then given alcohol on a daily basis for a year—some consumed the human equivalent of 12 drinks a day—before undergoing brain-imaging procedures or being killed and having their brains dissected. The experimenters in this case merely confirmed something already observed in humans—that ethanol exposure reduces gray-matter volume and effects serotonergic functioning in the brain.

Animal experimenters often argue that their strictly controlled studies eliminate all the additional social and biological influences associated with real human addiction. This is not true. First, subjecting animals to pain and distress invariably introduces its own set of physiological variables that confound and confuse any data being collected. Second, alcoholism is a human disease caused by a constellation of factors, and only by identifying the role of these additional influences can we define a clear etiology and subsequent treatment path for individual addiction sufferers. Ignoring them in favor of oversimplified, one-dimensional experiments on animals who do not naturally suffer from the affliction is both costly and futile.

Indeed, a recent article in the journal Psychopharmacology examining the use of animals in drug addiction studies concluded that “tremendous resources have been devoted to the development of pharmacotherapies for drug addiction, with relatively little or no long-term success.” Over the past two decades, the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism has sponsored human trials of more than 100 new anti-alcoholism drugs in a total of 25,000 people. From these trials—which were all green-lighted based on experiments on animals—only one new drug (naltrexone) has been approved by the FDA and its benefits are limited.

This staggering failure rate represents countless animal lives lost, tens of billions of dollars squandered and the hopes of millions of suffering people dashed by projects that were doomed to fail because of inherent biological differences between species and the particularly human nature of drug addiction. All the while, promising new research that may actually help people goes underfunded, as do services and care that would immediately and directly improve the lives of people with addiction.

Last year, the former director of the National Institutes of Health, Elias Zerhouni, MD, said that experimenting on animals has been a waste. Dr. Zerhouni, who is currently the head of global research and development at one of the world’s biggest drug companies, said, “We have moved away from studying human disease in humans…We all drank the Kool-Aid on that one, me included….The problem is that [animal testing] hasn’t worked, and it’s time we stopped dancing around the problem….We need to refocus and adapt new methodologies for use in humans to understand disease biology in humans.” Yet the NIH continues to devote nearly half of its $30 billion research budget to projects involving experiments on animals.

In the area of addiction research, we already have non-animal research tools to help us more effectively and efficiently investigate this human affliction. Research studies using epidemiological data, as well as cutting-edge genetics, genomics and neuroimaging technology have been making great strides in establishing the most effective interventions, pharmaceuticals and behavioral therapies, and allowing us to truly understand the complex interplay of biological and environmental influences on addiction.

Shocking, mutilating, sickening and imprisoning other thinking, feeling animals in experiments is always unethical—a sentiment now shared by 40% of the American public—and society unfortunately pays the price with this ever-expanding list of failed treatments for people. Hopefully, people with addiction and their advocates will appreciate that addiction is one of the many areas where humans will benefit as soon as the scientific community breaks its animal experimentation habit.

Please call on the NIH to stop funding experiments on animals here.
http://www.substance.com/people-addiction-support-petas-ban-using-animals-addiction-research/

Shit guys I say we get in on some of this money.. wont even need the cages for most Bluelighters.. well we may still need one cage.. a cage to lock all the drugs up so the experiment isn't over in a weekend. Get paid billions and have all the pure drugs participants want.

On a more serious note Roe makes allot of good points here. I dont ever think there will be a magic bullet for addiction. If we look at how some of the animals are being treated, incorporate what Carl Hart has told us about addiction, then it seems that the parameters of these studies as far as the conditions and treatment of the animals, it kinda seems to make some of their results likely worthless.

If your going to get a monkey addicted to coke strapped to some fucking chair.. then I say after that awfulness happens, then dose it up with a nice dose of boomers and let it free into a place where it can be happy, a proper environment with other monkley.. bet it stays away from the coke most of the time.

I found this when I was looking for what Nora and other researchers might be looking to do.. can't say how bad an idea I think this is.. so I will just say that they can do this on me when they pry the gun from my cold dead fingers.

The Neurosurgical Treatment Of Addiction
Controversial Surgery for Addiction Burns Away Brain’s Pleasure Center

Thats right after seeing first had how inept and mislead the medical community can be because I was very ill for almost five years.. not to mention they are the leading cause of modern addiction in the first world. I would never in my wildest dreams allow anything near that shit.. "addiction lobotomy" 8):p:!

NSFW:
now_you_can_have_it.jpg

Scary how lobotomies were once, relatively recently actually, groundbreaking research for conditions like addiction or "drug abuse," not to mention all the other "nervous" (not as in "nerve" but as in "agitated") conditions...

lol I think drugs.forum or whatevr would be a better place to do research using their even more degenerate user base :p ;)

Though this article did a very good job explaining/supporting the earlier article I posted on animal rights and addiction

There is no justification for treating animals the way they are treated by corporations and society at large, and this research will never find a cure for addiction. Some addicts don't want to quit. I'm am addict and I don't consider it a negative thing, I like using drugs. Some people like extreme sports that are far more dangerous than drug use. Football players suffer dementia early in life from all the concussions and head banging. It's even worse for boxers. Why is my drug use considered a bad moral and character flaw while people doing far more dangerous things for fun are considered just fine and dandy, famous, or cool?

I am fucking sick of all the animal abuse and torture going on in this Hellscape Earth. I wish the planet would quickly die so all the suffering would end. At least I can choose to remove myself from this heartless planet of psychopaths and indifferent drones who do not care about the horrors facing all the animals in this world, including their fellow humans. Nobody cares so this world is never going to get better or be worth living in.

I think South Park said it best:
"PETA doesnt care about people"

People are a dime-a-dozen.
Even cheaper if you go offshore, yeah?
Regardless of what you think of this organisation (I think Boeing are linked with some pretty dubious corporate entities, but it doesn't mean i don't still fly on their planes) the idea that we cannot learn a whole lot more about addiction in humans than we already do by carrying out experiments on animals with totally different physiology to our own seems fairly reasonable to me.

Must admit to having something of a "critter bias" myself though.

Last edited:
didn't mean it as rip.. just people getting all mushy over their pets.. was just kinda a pet love meltdown.

I was referring more to the other thread on a similar topic.
Nice sentiments are cool, and they seem to really piss certain types of people off for some reason.
I'm an unrepentant animal lover, proud to be so.
I love hunting accidents.

I don't have a cat, but my nephew has a really beautiful one.
I have a raccoon, blue and gold macaw, and a white German shepherd
Love them all a lot and I would have opted out of this life a long time ago without them.
May do so anyway. Feel good now, but I won't when the drugs wear off.

As for the "Peta doesn't care about people" comment, that may be true. Another truth is that a vast majority of people don't really give a damn about other people or any other species on this spherical Hell. If they did, they would do something to make it better for people and other animals. The few who do care should all sign onto a suicide pact and we can all blow our heads off, overdose on massive amounts of opiates, clonidine, beta blockers, and the most powerful sedatives you can get (preferably strong barbiturates) then wash all the pills down with vodka or something stronger like GHB, 1,4-butanediol, or 2-methyl-2-butanol at the same time, or ingest at least 20 or 30 times the lethal dose of cyanide. Then all the people who care enough to actually try in futility to improve things will be out of this fucked up place and everyone else can ruin the world faster, hopefully destroying it in such a way that nothing more advanced than single celled organisms will ever be able to survive on it again or it is rendered completely and permanently sterile.

That would put an end to all the pain which grows at an increasing rate on this God-forsaken ball of shit. If the world is not destroyed, then the amount of pain will continue increasing possibly for hundreds of years or until it is killed by the sun or some extreme disaster.

I was referring more to the other thread on a similar topic.
Nice sentiments are cool, and they seem to really piss certain types of people off for some reason.
I'm an unrepentant animal lover, proud to be so.
I love hunting accidents.

I love hunting accidents too. Maybe I'll go hunting some day and make a hunting accident. Right between the eyes or a little left of the center of the chest. Naturally I would use a gun that could not be traced to me.

Several years back I ran across a website with a guy advertising for sale the raccoons he was catching in traps. The add said they'd sell to anyone who wanted to shoot one or they'd sell the meat but would not sell to people wanting one as a pet. I need to find that asshole and burn his house down and do some other things while on the premises. I'm sure if I could find it again, I could track him down with the phone number or just say I'm wanting to kill, then find his address. If I am suicidal, we'll both end up with nothing above our necks.

^ you're fucking awesome.
And you have the pets of my dreams!
I just have a cat with a symmetrically divided black/white face.

I love people but have similar thoughts regarding people that kill animals for so-called "sport".

I love it when bleeding heart liberal pussies get mutilated, killed and eaten by the animals they love so much. I know you guys have sociopathic families that have raped and abused you all your lives but there must be at least one person in the world you care about. Now imagine that person dying a horrible death from a disease that could have been prevented if scientific progress had be made towards the cure with animal testing.

The real issue is with those sponsored ethics boards that make all the rules. Human testing is a great idea (requirement before receiving welfare?) whether it be fiends or otherwise, but the boards have underhanded ways of stopping this and essentially get to play god.