• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Pet Peeves v. u mad?

i believe that about 10% of life is about what happens, the other 90% is how we choose to deal with it. hence, i believe it's quite possible to choose to not be annoyed by something. as with many things in life, initially it's easier said than done.

alasdair

I agree with you actually, thinking about it. Thanks for the different viewpoint.

i find that instead of ignoring someone the way a 5 year old would, it wastes a lot less of my own time to just ask them to call me by my given name instead. this also avoids multiplying the annoyance of everyone involved.

this of course does not solve the problem that i find it annoying in the first place.
Ignoring people works when timeliness of a response doesn't matter. When timeliness does matter, before you say your reply, say "(It's) Michael", pause, and then carry on with what you have to say. That eventually worked for me to get someone to quit calling me by my full name as I'm in the reverse boat of you, and I prefer the shortened version of my name. :p

Is anyone else extremely disgusted by long fake fingernails?

^ Yes, completely.

Another thing I find repulsive is excessive makeup on women. I think it has a tendency to give girls/women that would look sexy without makeup, or with very little, a tacky, sleazy look. I feel sorry for them actually, since they must do it because they feel insecure, even if it is actually backfiring on them (well in my opinion at least - beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

one time my doctor called me mikey. wtf is that? i do you the professional courtesy of calling you doctor. it would be nice if you returned the favor, jerkass.
You're nicer than I am. If someone wants to be addressed by his or her last name, I don't let him/her use my first name. It REALLY pisses me off when Officer So-and-so calls me by my first name.

Is anyone else extremely disgusted by long fake fingernails?
Yes.

Once had this guy come through my line when I worked as a cashier... He was obviously a cross-dresser with extremely short shorts and a woman's tank-top on... I had no qualms with that. When he handed me the money, I noticed his nails. Extremely long, fake, and red. Twas pretty gross. (Would've been gross on a woman, too, for the record--I have no issues with anybody wearing either sex's stuff.)

You're nicer than I am. If someone wants to be addressed by his or her last name, I don't let him/her use my first name. It REALLY pisses me off when Officer So-and-so calls me by my first name.

i told him that he could call me mr smith. i would have ditched him but the thought of finding another doctor is not particularly pleasant.

Bicycles ARE considered a pedestrian though. And pedestrians belong on the sidewalk. :p

I bike on the street when I can / when it feels safe to do so. Otherwise, sidewalk it is.

Not in NY as one poster pointed out, and not in Ontario, CDN either.
City bylaw in Toronto allows bicycles with a wheel size below 20 inches on sidewalk. Thats just Toronto..

Otherwise, Bicycles are liable for the gamut of highway traffic act infractions, including unsafe lane change, signalling, red light/stop sign, fail to yield/merge and speeding (if by chance your booking down something like a school zone, yes, speeding tix)

My pet peeve atm; drunk hipsters who are lurching down the street knocking mail boxes over and wearing horrible mismatched converse sneakers.

My pet peeve atm; drunk hipsters who are lurching down the street knocking mail boxes over and wearing horrible mismatched converse sneakers.

Amen...

Patent trolls.

Fuck man, if you can't do anything useful, just write a really broad patent on something that you kind of know something about, and you and prevent all kinds of people from doing useful work in a field related to the patent you wrote. If you're able to lawyer up sufficiently, you can then either force them to give you royalties or just plain old sue them for infringement. Or, you know, discover something cool, and just sit on it. Don't use it to better the world, because, you know, that would take market share away from your POS 'flagship' product, and have the added benefit of preventing someone else from bettering the world in that manner.

I hate reading patents in general, but patent trolls just piss me off.

Smokers. I think smoking is gross and its so annoying trying to have a conversation with one because they constantly need to go outside and smoke or whatever.

Utilize.

The word you're looking for is 'use'. Fuckwit.

^ However, there are some uses for "utilize". Like utilizing a practice / ideal that was created by someone else.

For example, utilizing the practices of Buddha's middle path.

people who slow down or stop for green lights. it fucks with the traffic flow and is pointless. there are dedicated turn lanes, so turning isn't an excuse.

^ ok, fjones :)

i'll often reduce speed slightly when coming to an intersection with a green light - especially in cities - because a red light in the other direction doesn't necessarily mean traffic that direction is going to stop.

i'd rather live with your thinking i'm an asshole who's making you a second or two late, than be wiped out by some idiot running a light perpendicular to me... :)

i can't remember the last time i saw somebody stop at a green light. is it a big problem where you live?

alasdair

^i see at least one person a day come to stop at a green light. i think its because people want to change lanes and don't realize how much stopping fucks with traffic flow. i see this same behavior on the highways... people talk about being scared to drive on southern cali highways. for the most part people go so slow that the biggest issue is rear ending someone cause they stop suddenly.

I hate it when people accelerate slowly AFTER a red light. Like when u can see the light turn green 50 feet in front of you but it takes 30 seconds to start
moving because peoples' reactions are so slow. Traffic in general irritates me so much, I can go from happy to pissed so quick when driving around town.

Another pet peeve is when somebody asks me for a drag of my cig and they end up never giving it back. FUck that.

I hate it when people accelerate slowly AFTER a red light. Like when u can see the light turn green 50 feet in front of you but it takes 30 seconds to start
moving because peoples' reactions are so slow. Traffic in general irritates me so much, I can go from happy to pissed so quick when driving around town.

Another pet peeve is when somebody asks me for a drag of my cig and they end up never giving it back. FUck that.

1. So don't give them a drag. Say "no, sorry, I can't help you". The people that ask you for a drag are oftentimes the ones who are so addicted that they suck down that cigarette without a concern for it being yours.
2. Are you always on the ball when at a red light waiting for green? You've had your points where you say "hm, look at the water-oh, it's green!" Take that and give the attention span to ten people in a line. Don't forget, you can't exactly put the petal to the metal when you're waiting for everyone else to stop looking at the water.

i'm not really the type of guy that would say something, especially if it's a friend.

I know i'm just impatient it's just one of those things that out's of my control but still irritates me. Some people seem soo clueless when driving, it makes me nervous.

Also to add one more thing, people that drive under the speed limit, like atleast 10 mph.

One thing I have noticed lately is when I am watching tv and little guide screen pops up and describes the show and mentions in abbreviations, language, sex, [L, S,], etc. They always have for example, That 70's show rated: lds. I wish they would just write it lsd. I mean come on we all know what you are really trying to say.