Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Peruvian Torch Extract - 15 ml) / Experienced / Beauty, Reverence and Insight

F

Fortunia

(Submitted anonymously for Trip Reports)

Beauty, Reverence and Insight

Substance: Peruvian Torch Extract (Mescaline)

Dose: 15 ml

Body Weight: 127 lb

Year: 2012.

Drug use history: Cannabis - weekly 10+ years. Cocaine 1 year of regular use and then quit. Tobacco 5+ years of light use
then quit. Alcohol socially 2x (or less) per month 10+ years. LSA (woodrose) twice. LSD 4 times. Mescaline cactus 5 times. (San Pedro 3x, Peruvian Torch 2x).

Other history: Meditation 10+ years. Dream study 10+ years. Lucid Dreaming practice weekly 7+ years.

100 grams of dried, finely ground Peruvian Torch cactus was extracted with 750 ml of 150 proof Vodka through a coffee filter. The liquid was then reduced to 30 ml over very low heat and the ethanol evaporate was collected for re-use.

T + 0 hr: 15 ml of this astringent, bitter tasting extract was diluted in 6 oz (180 ml) cold water and consumed slowly over 1 hour along with generous sips from a separate glass of water+sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). I consumed a total of two 6 oz glasses of water+baking soda along with the glass of diluted mescaline extract.

No food was consumed in the 16 hours prior to the dose. The dose was taken in the hour 5pm-6pm.

T + 2hr: After some initial nausea, but no vomiting, I am shivering (but not cold) and I am feeling the effects of the
Mescaline. No way am I going outside. It is a beautiful sunny evening here, but I am too obviously under the influence to
maintain in public.

I am feeling shaky and I have to go lie down. Closed eyed visuals are beyond amazing. I seem to have met a Peruvian shaman and my body/soul is filled with brilliant purified white light. I am seeing closed eye visuals of the shaman and then the vision switches to someone who seems to be in Tibet. Next I see images of a golden Buddha in a temple shimmering with jewels.

T + 4hr: I am really thirsty and my first food of the day was a cold from the fridge, fresh juicy red apple that I ate
with great reverence and appreciation for everything that went into the moment that the apple became my food. The nausea is gone so the apple is graciously transferring its life force to me in my now settled stomach.

I took a bath and it was a beautiful experience. I thought very deeply about the beautiful gift of life and how grateful I am
for mine. I thought about all the people who contributed to my being in this life. I appreciated every single miraculous inch
of myself and every single good thing in my life. I decided that the few problems I have are just things that are not good
for me that I must let go of. I can now see a clear and beautiful way to surmount a problem over time that had not occurred to me before.

The closed eye visuals now look like 2 dimensional Etruscan, Greek and Egyptian art along with what appears to be Meso
American hieroglyphs and Native American mescaline culture art. I am seeing connections here that I never noticed before.

T + 6 hr: I am peaking.

The closed eye visuals continue to be remarkable. I am seeing the most beautiful jewel-like, geometric images imaginable. If only I had a camera to capture them all. So exquisite, so beautiful and so profound. Beings, animals, flowers, and complex and simple thoughts all unfolding in serene abstraction and geometry.

The animals I am seeing in my closed eye visuals are rendered in beautiful 2 dimensional abstraction. All are birds except
for one fish. With my eyes open, I keep seeing a gray, transparent shadow image of the abstracted fish superimposed on a white area of the room in low light.

The birds are rendered in beautiful, jeweled inlay. I see thunderbirds, phoenix, and vultures but an eagle has been appearing repeatedly. The eagle is the only bird in my closed eye visuals that seems to be alive. It keeps looking at me.

The beings are abstracted and angular. They have a sort of harsh beauty to them. One of them seems to be the "Mescaline spirit".

T + 9 hr: It is three hours past what should have been the peak, but I am still very strongly feeling the effects of
the mescaline.

I go to my favorite chair, snuggle up in my favorite shirt and listen to music. I listen first to a playlist of chillwave and classic psychedelic music. The closed eye visuals are amazing with beautiful geometric shapes that change and spiral out into new images.

I spend some time thinking about several people whose behavior and attitude frustrate, confuse and annoy me. I see their own emptiness and confusion and I feel compassion. I realize that their frequently expressed disdain is really just projection. They are simply attacking something they cannot accept in themselves. They cannot see that they are actually fighting something within. This is a concept I understand sober, but I had never made the connection with these specific individuals until now.

After my playlist is up I switch my music to shuffle. I was astonished at the conflicted, unconscious, harsh ugliness of some of the music (and singers) that I thought sounded great sober. The songs are profoundly ugly and uninspired and I wonder how they managed to become hits. I ask myself why these shallow, empty singers became so popular. My conclusion is that it is a reflection of the values of mass market consumer society. While contemplating this, I don't feel contempt for the empty, confused, conflicted people in the world. I simply feel compassion.

The closed eye visuals are interestingly three-dimensional. I am seeing a bright white light and images of someone reaching a summit. I seem to be looking at something in Ancient Greece.

Thinking about music again, I find myself craving something perfectly beautiful. I want to listen to classical music right
now, but I don't have any classical MP3's.

T + 12 hr: Sunrise will be here shortly and I really want to go down to the beach to greet the dawn, but I don't want to risk encountering uncomprehending people. I am still very much feeling the effects of the mescaline. I decide to go outside, but I stay in my yard.

Outside it is clear, beautiful and jewel-like. The scenery is exquisite. The Moon is directly overhead. Venus and Jupiter are
rising as a pair before the Sun. I think about the traditional meaning of this combination. It is Love and Goodwill and I am
very much feeling that right now.

T + 15 hr: I am having an out of character sort of morning. The sun is pouring in through the windows and skylights and Vivaldi is playing on the radio. I cannot remember the last time I listened to classical. I also cannot remember the last time I turned on the morning cable news and then turned it off to listen to classical music and my own thoughts. Actually, I don't remember ever having done that before.

I am still not sober, but I feel really calm, refreshed and relaxed. I was thinking about breakfast and I have a taste for
pancakes. Only this time I just want some buttered buckwheat pancakes and some fresh fruit. I am not a vegetarian and I
really like white flour pancakes with syrup, eggs and sausage but at the moment meat is not appealing - unless the animal is honorably and ritually sacrificed for my food. I am feeling very grateful for every living thing has ever sacrificed its life
for mine.

T + 28 hr The mescaline gently wore off by the 20 hour mark. I took a 2 hour nap afterward and I feel really good.
There is no negative hangover, just a sense of focused calm and a continued heightened awareness of, and sensitivity to,
"ugliness" in all its forms: visual, emotional, social and auditory. After listening to a classical music station for a few hours, I later switched to a New Age music station and that played for the rest of the day. Normally, I never, ever listen to
New Age music! I am not a vegetarian, but so far I still don't have a taste for meat. I am fairly certain I will have
chicken, steak or sausage in a few days though. I suspect the effect on my musical taste might be more lasting, but time will tell.

My takeaway from this has been positive. I don't plan to take Mescaline again any time soon, it is too intense for casual
use. The last time I took it was 3 years ago.

Observations: To me, Peruvian Torch is a somewhat different, heavier trip than San Pedro. Peruviana is mildly
agitating. It lacks the lip/ body numbness and lethargy that I experienced with San Pedro. Peruviana also did not cause the "flying over the landscape of the earth" visions I had with San Pedro.

Mescaline was not the first drug I ever tried, and I feel that my previous experience with high quality cannabis and
meditation helped make me feel comfortable in Mescaline's long-lasting, altered state of consciousness.

For me, Mescaline is spiritual experience, not a shallow escape from reality. I found that Mescaline brought me face to face with my own inner reality. I noticed that if I had anger, conflicts or internal demons they seemed to be presented to me as closed-eye visions of violent and disturbing beings. Approaching the experience with a sense of love, openness and reverence seems to tame these "beings" and reduces the risk of a bad trip. Just like they say, setting and intent are important.

Note: This experience report was submitted to Erowid on 7/10/12 and it is currently pending review. If the report is
accepted, it may be weeks or months before it appears on Erowid.

The time frame of the experience is July 8th-9th, 2012.

Anonymous Post in reply to Section18

Replying to this post:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...nd-Insight?p=10737376&viewfull=1#post10737376

Thank you! I am pleased that you described my trip report as "nicely articulated" and I am glad you enjoyed reading it.

(BTW, I also carefully formatted it and the paragraphs looked good in preview. Unfortunately the report seems to seems to have lost some of the formatting when I submitted it. I was previously unfamiliar with Bluelight, and the report is my first post here, so that is probably the source of the problem. :$ Hopefully this post looks a bit better)

I didn't know if my report would generate any replies, so I didn't register, but it looks like I may need to register here after all.

^Agreed. Thanks for that, Fortunia. With your background in meditation and lucid dreaming I imagine you're the kind of person who gets a lot out of psychedelics. Register if you ever feel like talking shop on a more regular basis.

I like how you did the extract -- not too much work and low volume. Obviously you have a distiller -- quite handy for conserving ethanol -- but what did you use as a container for the coffee filter, a funnel or something else you rigged up? Did you just stir up the ethanol with the powdered P. Torch and dump the whole mess in a container with the filter and walk away to let gravity do its work, and for how long? I ask because cacti powder absorbs water like a sponge (esp. 100 g with just 750 mL) and I'm curious how much of that 750 mL minus the 30 you used for the dosages was recollected, i.e., how much alkaloid infused ethanol never made it out of the cactus slime.

Last edited:
Very nicely articulated report. I enjoyed reading this. Thank you.

Thank you for your kind words. I am pleased that you find my trip report "nicely articulated".

Unfortunately, my carefully formatted report (which looked good in preview) got its formatting garbled when I posted. The report is my first post on Bluelight, so hopefully my subsequent posts will look better.

I originally didn't plan to register, and I earlier posted a reply to you in the Anonymous section, but just now I went ahead and registered before my Anonymous reply was reviewed.

^Agreed. Thanks for that, Fortunia. With your background in meditation and lucid dreaming I imagine you're the kind of person who gets a lot out of psychedelics. Register if you ever feel like talking shop on a more regular basis.

I like how you did the extract -- not too much work and low volume. Obviously you have a distiller -- quite handy for conserving ethanol -- but what did you use as a container for the coffee filter, a funnel or something else you rigged up? Did you just stir up the ethanol with the powdered P. Torch and dump the whole mess in a container with the filter and walk away to let gravity do its work, and for how long? I ask because cacti powder absorbs water like a sponge (esp. 100 g with just 750 mL) and I'm curious how much of that 750 mL minus the 30 you used for the dosages was recollected, i.e., how much alkaloid infused ethanol never made it out of the cactus slime.

I put an ethanol soaked coffee filter in a large wire mesh strainer over a quart sized pyrex measuring cup. I put the cactus powder in the filter and slowly poured the ethanol through the cactus material in about 5 pours. After the alcohol strained through from each pour, I turned the material and pressed as much of the liquid as possible through the filter. At the end of the 750 ml of alcohol, I gathered up the mass in the coffee filter, wrapping the filter around the mass, and hand squeezed it as hard I as could over the cup. I then discarded the filter and the mass.

I used a basic Coldfinger herbalist's stovetop pyrex extractor to reduce the liquid and recover the alcohol. I lost about 20% of the alcohol in the process.

Three years ago (the last time I took mescaline cactus extract), I did a two-stage Coldfinger extraction (both percolation and alcohol recovery) on dried cactus and that went very well. I decided to do this particular trip on short notice, so I did not want to take the time for a two stage Coldfinger extraction. That is why I did a short, very basic, cold percolation as the first step.

Other methods (or perhaps more alcohol) would certainly yield a greater quantity of useful material with less waste. I did my extraction on the assumption that the mescaline content was about 1% of the dry weight, and half of the extract might yield 500 mg. Since this was an 18+ hour trip on a less than perfectly efficient extraction, I suspect that the mescaline content of the cactus was greater than 1%.

As you can see from my drug history (in the report) I am not a heavy user, and I don't plan on taking cactus or other psychedelics any time soon.

Personally, I found this mescaline experience to be the best and most valuable one I have had to date.

Lovely report! Haven't tried an extract, but San Pedro in capsules made me nauseous for 3+ hours...so not going to ever eff w/ it again. But it is very spiritual and the CEVs are the strongest I've ever experienced. Anyone who doesn't mind a little nausea will probably do fine <3

Lovely report! Haven't tried an extract, but San Pedro in capsules made me nauseous for 3+ hours...so not going to ever eff w/ it again. But it is very spiritual and the CEVs are the strongest I've ever experienced. Anyone who doesn't mind a little nausea will probably do fine <3

Thank you!

I have never eaten the unprocessed cactus or taken the boiled tea.

The first time I took mescaline cactus I had San Pedro and I used a 3 inch diameter, 12 inch long, fresh cutting. I peeled away just the thinnest outside layer of the waxy skin. I sliced the cactus and dried it in a food dehydrator. I then ground up the dried cactus in a coffee grinder. I put the cactus powder in a coffee filter set in a wire strainer. I very slowly poured regular vodka through the cactus powder. If I remember correctly I used 2/3 of a bottle (750 ml or 1L ?) of 80 proof and 1 full bottle of 100 proof. I squeezed the liquid out of the mass and filter. I poured the liquid into a deep pan and on low heat gently boiled away the liquid (with the hood vent on) until a soft tar was left in the pan. I scraped up the cactus tar and put it in 00 gelatin caps. It has been a very long time since I did this, but if I remember correctly I just had 2 or 3 capsules of tar.

The San Pedro tar I made did not make me nauseous like the Peruvian Torch extract I described in my trip report. The difference may be the fact that I peeled the San Pedro. The Peruvian Torch was already in powder form, and was most likely the whole unpeeled cactus.

Thank you!

I have never eaten the unprocessed cactus or taken the boiled tea.

The first time I took mescaline cactus I had San Pedro and I used a 3 inch diameter, 12 inch long, fresh cutting. I peeled away just the thinnest outside layer of the waxy skin. I sliced the cactus and dried it in a food dehydrator. I then ground up the dried cactus in a coffee grinder. I put the cactus powder in a coffee filter set in a wire strainer. I very slowly poured regular vodka through the cactus powder. If I remember correctly I used 2/3 of a bottle (750 ml or 1L ?) of 80 proof and 1 full bottle of 100 proof. I squeezed the liquid out of the mass and filter. I poured the liquid into a deep pan and on low heat gently boiled away the liquid (with the hood vent on) until a soft tar was left in the pan. I scraped up the cactus tar and put it in 00 gelatin caps. It has been a very long time since I did this, but if I remember correctly I just had 2 or 3 capsules of tar.

The San Pedro tar I made did not make me nauseous like the Peruvian Torch extract I described in my trip report. The difference may be the fact that I peeled the San Pedro. The Peruvian Torch was already in powder form, and was most likely the whole unpeeled cactus.

or it might have been the heavy dose- the amount of a nausea inducing drug you take has a direct link to the amount of nausea you experience i have found. part of nausea for me is the feeling of being on a rollercoaster (has happened with mushrooms)