• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ Perpetuated LSD Myths

The myth that is the top of my list:

All LSD in the 60's was clean, like Owsely or Delsyd.
The average tab was dosed heavier compared to now, however quality really varied. In fact I think today's LSD is more pure (as an average). I have no statistics to back up my claims, however I do have a metric shit ton of personal experience.

one I heard about shrooms, that it exerts its effects by causing your brain to temporarily bleed, lol.
this was fact when i was in high school. only it was about acid. everyone started with shrooms, and then would get told acid’s the real deal but it causes your brain to bleed during the trip. that bleeding was responsible for the powerful effects. we were ok with that and took the acid.

The myth that is the top of my list:

All LSD in the 60's was clean, like Owsely or Delsyd.
The average tab was dosed heavier compared to now, however quality really varied. In fact I think today's LSD is more pure (as an average). I have no statistics to back up my claims, however I do have a metric shit ton of personal experience.

In the first period or so of the production of LSD in California, most of it was made by Owsley straight from Lysergic Acid (1step) only later they had to move to Ergotamine (2 steps).. so not sure if it is cleaner now.

The average dose in the 60's were around 250 mics, i've heard that these days the dosis is around 200 mics.

Last edited:
This is a nice 'kinda' new myth (only it's probably the truth !) :

The first batches of 'illigal' LSD in California were made by a woman.

In the first period or so of the production of LSD in California, most of it was made by Owsley straight from Lysergic Acid (1step) only later they had to move to Ergotamine (2 steps).. so not sure if it is cleaner now.

The average dose in the 60's were around 250 mics, i've heard that these days the dosis is around 200 mics.
When it was legal until about 1966 I believe, as little "pods" of liquid straight from the pharmacy, the dose was 279ug. Then yes I do believe black market was generally 250 to 300ug, or above in cases.

But 250ug has pretty much always been considered the dose of the full psychoactive experience of LSD.

And yes I think today 200ug is regarded as a pretty full, intense and sufficient trip, but was a little safety Edge which is probably a good thing on the whole.

However I expect that if this world wasn't so greedy and money oriented, then dosages would be consistently 250 ug or above still.

Last edited:
LSD doses were all over the place in the 60s aswell varying up to 1000 ug microdots. Kary mullis claims everybodies first trip should be 1000 ug like his to truly discover shit which is reckless. Acid during the 70s was even stronger than the 60s been dosed between 300-400 ug on average sometimes 500 ug + this is why there was hell of alot of backlash agaisn;t lsd so many people were taking huge doses for first time trips and losing their mind for 12 hours which made people not taking acid think its super dangerous which it is at high doses for newbies. For a few bucks teens were getting their reality rearranged for the trip. Hell the experts were even worse they gave no flying fucks or caution about administering LSD to their clients. Grof would regulary give people 500-1500 ug doses alot of bad trip reports out of his clients tbh he is a mad scientist who would explore crazy as doses to go time travelling and dimension hopping. The american psychologoists appoarch to lsd was ruthless and dangerous they thought blasting somebody out to meet god for their first trip was the perfect way to heal people but it would of left feeling detached from reality for years to come.

Jesus, 1mg and above for a first trip - good chance I wouldn't have been so fond of psychs if my first trip was that - it was 1/2 a purple ohm and set me up for three decades of psychedelic enjoyment. Unfortunately, now 1/2 a trip 50mcgs or the like would barely register :(

Yeah I have to say, I totally disagree with the advice of certain people (Terence McKenna with suggesting a heroic dose of mushrooms for the first time, for example) where you should take a huge dose your first time. A large dose does not guarantee you will have a spiritual breakthrough, but it does vastly increase the negative repercussions if you find thatt you aren't able to handle psychedelics all that well. If one takes 100ug of LSD, and has a difficult time, it will just be rough and jangly, but you'll be able to ride it out. At 1000ug... that could scar a person.

My first trip ever was on just a half eighth of mushrooms (1.75g). They were really good mushrooms it turns out. But I had a full ego dissolution, life changing experience. It was the perfect first trip, I've never been the same since.

I agree on easing into it too. Take heroic doses after feeling comfortable with lower ones. DMT is a good one for that. And lower doses are very interesting. The whole notion of breakthrough kind of screwed up a good thing (IMO). People feel bummed when they think they did not break through yet the lower doses are where a person can bring things back. Breakthrough has become the goal and has become a big part of the culture. Breakthrough is totally subjective and has no real meaning except "intense trip". (I have broken through and it is different but I can't remember things. There is an "oh shit I did it this time" to a breakthrough that I know :) ) So I for sure am for the lower doses until one can swim. Really, if someone jumps into the ocean and goes for the big wave right away they could get knocked out, scared and intimidated and may not go back in the water. But if they ride the smaller waves until comfortable it is like anything else. Practice and easing into it. No need for a heroic dose the first times.

As somebody who took a crazy as amount of LSD for a first time psychedelic trip i agree all these psychedelic cultural icons have spread their own dangerous ideology onto everybody and newcomers i was very lucky to handle it well and have the greatest experience of my life but i also could of easily woken up in hopstial jail or dead. Most responsible people i know never pushed it too hard with LSD and had alot of respect for it keep their doses under 300 ug. I always tell first time trippers with LSD to only take 100 - 150 ug for a first time trip depending on how well i know them if they can handle it and tell other people (one ex-gf) to stay away from psychedelics cause they have one too many screws loose in their head for me to to sit around and handle their nutty ass if they did trip.

Jesus, 1mg and above for a first trip - good chance I wouldn't have been so fond of psychs if my first trip was that - it was 1/2 a purple ohm and set me up for three decades of psychedelic enjoyment. Unfortunately, now 1/2 a trip 50mcgs or the like would barely register :(
Well I bet you good dollar that those Purple Ohms were dosed a lot higher than 100ug, like nearer 200 or above.

Don't ask me why I say that or how I feel it but I just strongly do call it an intuition or hunch combined with subconscious Logic and impressions over time.

But I strongly bet yout half Ohm back then was like a full 100ug tab currently.

I am probably not the best test subject but the only weird thing I remember about my only LSD trip is I thought I could walk home. About 300 feet down the road I got to a little bridge over a creek and I spend about an hour staring at the water trickling by in the moonlight thinking it was the coolest thing I ever saw. I kept changing the angle I was looking at it from and getting different patterns in the ripples and the light. Then I went back to the party and tried to get everyone to come down to the creek for a look at the coolest thing ever. That was when my buddy told me to calm down he dropped a tab of acid in my beer. Everything would be cool looking for a while.
I kept waiting for all of those horrible things I heard about to happen but nothing did.

Ugh was listening to JRE and Michael Pollan said that LSD was cut with speed in the 70s lol...
I found a reference for LSD/speed combo being called "Blue Cheer" in old microgram, it claims there was strychnine in pill though so who knows? These agencies were tasked with trying to scare people, not disseminate truth. I am fairly confident LSD/speed doses were a real thing just before blotters took over.

6L5x4xg.jpg

I found a reference for LSD/speed combo being called "Blue Cheer" in old microgram, it claims there was strychnine in pill though so who knows? These agencies were tasked with trying to scare people, not disseminate truth. I am fairly confident LSD/speed doses were a real thing just before blotters took over.

6L5x4xg.jpg
Wow. That would have been a pretty horrible first trip. I’ve always assumed strychnine was a myth designed to scare people. Also interesting to know meth was doing the rounds in Oz as early as 1970. I’d thought it was all speed in those days.

we called meth speed then, and I think of it as the same thing, and there would not be much meth in a tiny acid pill if any at all, but sometimes lsd is speedier than others. this could just be set or setting.

Since this thread popped up, I’ll share one, but it’s not entirely unique.
Some years back I was in treatment, and my counselor of all people starts telling me “I know of someone who had a sheet of acid in their pocket and it got wet when they went through a water sprinkler…” I tell her to stop right there, and that first off this nonsense was from a movie. But she continues talking, saying that now the guy thinks he’s an orange and that he’s terrified that someone is going to peel him. I let her know that’s one of the biggest loads of rubbish I’ve heard. She was completely earnest about this, she believed it.
Since that time, I’ve read basically the same nonsense on Reddit (ugh), by a few people claiming to know the same person, and, strangely enough, on opposite ends of the globe. 🤦🏻

Yeah the same thing went around my high school... so and so's friend's brother's friend or something, it always was, thinks he's a glass of orange juice and won't leave his house because he's afraid of getting spilled. Everyone knows someone who knows someone who knows that guy.

Must be that 6 degrees of separation thing... 🙄

The movie was SLC Punk. I like the guy who stated at the sun until blind. You want to go blind? Don't do LSD kid!

What about the guy who tripping balls along the side of the highway after a concert he runs up to a car and askes "Are you Paul?" Driver is like WTF? Next days looks at paper tripping kid run over and killed, driver charged, name was Paul.
I have no source and probably not true.