View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Permanent damage from psychedelics

lauren12k

Bluelighter
I've never taken any psychedelics yet but I will be taking my first in two days. I have heard stories from my friends who have been taking drugs for years and they say once they took their first psychedelic their mind was never the same. They said that sometimes they can hear voices when walking down the street or hear people calling their name. They also said their insight on the world and their views on everything completely changed. Is all this normal? Should I expect this to happen to me too?

Are you sure this is a good idea considering you and weed don't seem to agree.

and no, you should not expect that to happen to you, well, maybe your world views but it's not for the worse. Unless you're taking some garbage psych.

I've taken MDMA before and I was fine so I hope I'll be ok with this. I'll have sober friends with me if anything does happen.

Just keep your balance, don't abuse them. Me and plenty of my friends have permenant effects from LSD and other drugs, but this was confirmed real LSD and I am still tripping over a year later... But I ate it every 3 days, so did some of them. Also I was young. Those I know who were more responsible are not so nucking fucts.

But it will definitly begin a magical journey for you ;)

Responsible, moderate use will not cause long-term effects provided you don't have any underlying mental illness.

I was diagnosed with anxiety and I used to have depression, would that have any effect on it?

I have anxiety and have experienced depressive episodes in the past. Psychedelics almost always make me feel at peace with everything and I often find myself thinking about how trivial the things that normally cause me anxiety really are. The afterglow helps too as I feel somewhat detached from my usual daily anxieties following a good trip.

I will say that adding weed to the mix can undo this and cause me greater than normal anxiety, especially if I haven't been smoking often. This doesn't happen all the time, but I feel it's worth making note of because psychedelics on their own rarely cause or exacerbate the sort of anxiety I often experience.

Weed makes me very anxious on its own most of the time but I was told I should smoke weed on the comedown because it's very bad with these pills. My friend said it really helped him. As soon as he smoked it he came back up and was tripping for another 2/3 hours and once that stopped he felt fine after.

I can think of few psychedelics that I would say have a "bad" come down and the fact that you've mentioned nothing about the substance you'll be taking apart from that they come in pills and produce psychedelic effects makes me wonder just what you're getting into. I'd advise against taking something if you don't really know what it is and wait until you come across something you're sure of or get yourself a testing kit.

Regardless, if you do choose to take this and smoke on the come down I would suggest smoking less than you normally would at first and seeing how it affects you. Always take it slow when tripping if you're prone to anxiety while high.

Weed makes me very anxious on its own most of the time but I was told I should smoke weed on the comedown because it's very bad with these pills. My friend said it really helped him. As soon as he smoked it he came back up and was tripping for another 2/3 hours and once that stopped he felt fine after.
Why would you smoke weed if it makes you too anxious in the past? If your friend jumped off a cliff would you do it too? Sorry but someone has to be the mature adult around here.

If you suffer from mental illness in the past I would avoid some unknown substance that comes in pill form. If you really have your heart set on it, lower the dose. There is no shame in having an underwhelming experience compared to being that chick who lost her shit, had to be taken to hospital and caused every one else to be bummed out.

I would not suggest smoking weed during your psychedelic experience. Weed has greatly different effects depending on the person, and while it may have been beneficial to your friend, it quite possibly will be detrimental to you. In my opinion, weed is only beneficial if someone has already identified in their mind an equivalency between a comfortable mind-state and being high; because they like the feeling weed gives them, it helps them to be on it during difficult come-downs.

HOWEVER, if you don't have a positive experience with weed, taking it while on psychedelics will likely just exacerbate it. Additionally, weed's mental effects (namely slowing down your thought processes, at least that's my colloquial interpretation of it) can amplify the effects of a psychedelic in unforseen ways which can be extremely uncomfortable. During my early tripping, I had some of my "bad trips" due to mixing weed and psychedelics. Now, with a fair amount of experience, I can mix the two and explore the results without problems; that's not necessarily your situation.

I would say that it is much more likely you will have a bad interaction between weed and psychedelics than a positive one, so please, take your friend's advice for what it is; that it's better FOR HIM to smoke weed on the comedown.

Lastly, if you can identify what you'll be taking, we can all give more cogent advice. Either way, good luck, happy tripping, and positive revelations to you.

lauren12K, I agree with these bluelighters' sentiments, dose carefully and do not blindly follow someone else. You have the rest of your life ahead of you so if you decide to do a particular drug, tip-toe gently into a mild experience and then consider any side-effects regarding your future well-being for a few weeks before revisiting said drug. Any strength of psychedelic experience should hold some interest for you so don't make the mistake of overdosing.

That's not to say you cannot benefit medicinally from taking a psychedelic drug, just take care in choosing the material, the setting, your partner and the dose. Lower dosing will involve less time tripping and less intensity. If you choose weed on the comedown use much less. Carefully assess your first experience tripping before considering again for any future occasion. Prepare sensibly, expect the unexpected and be bold in your outlook.

they say once they took their first psychedelic their mind was never the same.

This is true to some people (including myself) but not in a scary way. It's more as if someone said "I've lived in another continent and my worldview was never the same" or "Since that winter holiday, snow brings me so many memories, it even looks different"

So yes, it may change you, but don't worry, you won't think you're an orange or any of the shit you may have heard.

I've never taken any psychedelics yet but I will be taking my first in two days. I have heard stories from my friends who have been taking drugs for years and they say once they took their first psychedelic their mind was never the same. They said that sometimes they can hear voices when walking down the street or hear people calling their name. They also said their insight on the world and their views on everything completely changed. Is all this normal? Should I expect this to happen to me too?
Yes, it is normal.
It is normal in two ways. Taking psychedelics will cause a permanent change and it is normal for people to hear voices.
The second point has nothing at all to do with drugs. Most people have voices but do not pay attention to them. In other individuals these voices are out of control.
A mental condition is generally related to a normal mental process. Normal, meaning that a very high percent of people experience it. Nothing is added to your head which was not there before, but something is altered outside of normal functioning. Taking a psychedelic is relatable to a short term mental disorder. Like a muscle that has contracted or tightened to an extreme, to the point surrounding muscles are affected by it. Hearing voices is one example or possible result. We all hear voices, but only in a few cases do voices overwhelm people and start consuming their thoughts.
Mental disease is mulitple symptoms coming from a single cause, one would hope at least, and toxic chemicals can cause them. LSD is stupendously toxic by the way. A curious person may simply want to experience it, but I would tell that person that it is not a free ride and not the most intriguing thing that life has to offer.
Certain people who, for whatever reason, were permanently affected by voices took psychedelics to increase the prominence of the voices and strengthen other details surrounding the voices, for long periods of time afterward. They felt strongly that the voices were teaching them about unaltered history of the world etc. Whether you buy into their belief or not, the fact is that the psychedelic drugs increased the prominence of certain mental processes for a long time afterward. I noticed this as well, only I did not buy into it and it was not an enjoyable half-life of altered mental state.
Radiation is a fitting analogy. Half-life is not exactly "permanent" and normal life actually includes a lot of radiation.
Whether it is going to alter your mind into one that hears voices, nobody can say for certain. LSD tends to give people enormously huge giant fucking egos though. So much so that they tell you they do not even "comprehend" having an ego. WOw/ But they definitely consider what they thought they knew before to be trivial to what they know now. I tend to disagree with this sentiment but it is what you feel when high.
From personal experience, if smoking the marihuana drug gives you anxiety, then you are not a good candidate for trying out stronger brain chemicals. I tend to think of them a bit like mind rape or shooting bullets in the dark. I also do not buy into any of the set and setting having any affect on bad trips and never thought HPPD as anything rare for experienced trippers. Most everyone taking these drugs are young. If you do reconsider then you might be thankful for it later, stranger.

Last edited:
Pmoseman said "I also don't buy into set and setting having any affect on bad trips."
LOL all tripping really is is set and setting plus a chemical to make a few tweaks to the receptors in your brain.

You believe the in the importance of set and setting, I am not sure though. Setting has an effect on emotional well-being. Set is essentially the same thing as emotional well-being. Is this somehow unique to LSD? All studies recognize the placebo effect and pre-existing conditions.
Is it a defense against changing receptors in a brain that nobody understands?

Last edited:
I'm super bias, but personally, I say it's not a good idea. I did shrooms about a month or so ago and I haven't been "ok" since. Everything around me seems different and I'm 10x more depressed than I had been before taking the drug... Yesterday I experienced my first (what I presume is a) flashback. It was brought on by weed and lasted about 2/3 hours. It was identical to my shroom trip and equally as horrifying. (I have my trip report posted on this account!) I never even considered doing other drugs - especially psychedelics. And I ONLY regret it. I feel as if I obtained no good from it... My reaction to weed on it's own is unique. I'm a very paranoid and anxious person as is and now that I know shroom flashbacks can be triggered by weed.... I may not even be a smoker anymore. If you have a negative or precautious/paranoid mindset going into it, you may have a horrible time. I wish I hadve listened to my gut instinct before taking shrooms... And I didn't. Again, I'm bias but best of luck! Do some research and read feedback on here before making your decision! I wish I would have lol! Xo

Taking a psychedelic is relatable to a short term mental disorder.

No. Bad analogy. Taking LSD is exactly like taking an amazing substance. That's not say it doesn't have its risks

LSD is stupendously toxic by the way.
SOURCE! That's a helluva claim.

Certain people who, for whatever reason, were permanently affected by voices took psychedelics to increase the prominence of the voices and strengthen other details surrounding the voices, for long periods of time afterward. They felt strongly that the voices were teaching them about unaltered history of the world etc. Whether you buy into their belief or not, the fact is that the psychedelic drugs increased the prominence of certain mental processes for a long time afterward. I noticed this as well, only I did not buy into it and it was not an enjoyable half-life of altered mental state.

YOU dony buy into it. You don't like apple pie, you prefer pecan pie, therefore it must be this way for everyone else.

LSD tends to give people enormously huge giant fucking egos though. So much so that they tell you they do not even "comprehend" having an ego. WOw/ But they definitely consider what they thought they knew before to be trivial to what they know now. I tend to disagree with this sentiment but it is what you feel when high.
From personal experience, if smoking the marihuana drug gives you anxiety, then you are not a good candidate for trying out stronger brain chemicals. I tend to think of them a bit like mind rape or shooting bullets in the dark.

Ego? HAHA Don't get me started. In regards to cannabinoids being a default way of measuring whether you will be compatible with "stronger chemicals".... Absolute drivel. IT IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHEMICAL.. First of all I and several other people I know DO NOT tolerate cannabis. If the weed is strong enough it causes me intense palpitations, anxiety, paranoid thoughts and CONVULSIONS. Yes, I literally shake like a leaf on a tree and my teeth chatter. My ex GF is the same way and ended up in the ER from eating cannabis and went into SHOCK. Also, if you look into synthetic cannibinoids you will find that bad reactions and toxic reactions happen to a much higher degree with chemicals modeled after THC. Both of us have used LSD and mushrooms with great success upwards of 100 times combined. I personally did have a small handful of bad trips, maybe a half dozen total and one overdose (took more than intended to, not a toxic OD). This overdose lead to some long lasting psychological effects and actually beneited me later when I learned from them and came to terms with them.

I also do not buy into any of the set and setting having any affect on bad trips and never thought HPPD as anything rare for experienced trippers. Most everyone taking these drugs are young. If you do reconsider then you might be thankful for it later, stranger.

Umm wut....you don't buy into this.. Set and setting...the oldest mantra.