Permanent changes after Tramadol/Kratom?

Crunchytheclown

Greenlighter
I'm beginning to wonder if maybe anxiety is now a permanent feature in my life after kicking tramadol and then kratom.

Basically I was taking two to three 50mg tramadol everyday for 1.5 years. I then switched to 3mgs kratom twice a day to help with the withdrawals. That lasted about four to five weeks until the kratom itself started to bring on anxiety and I had to stop to keep my sanity.

It's now week seven after stopping the kratom and my anxiety is still severe at times. I was hoping I would be able to begin to relax by now, but it just doesn't happen.

Is this PAWS? How long before I start feeling normal? I can't believe my low dosage habit could make such a difference. I've never had anxiety like this before!

I really would like to know when it gets better. I'm concerned that I'm changed in some basic way.

Last edited:
Have you started to feel better? Im in totally the same situation.. its miserable. My worst withdrawal symptom is the restlessness, tho. I'm wondering, however, if I dont just have fully body RLS. I have been googling it and i have all the same symptoms. I'm kind of worried though because Ive been on wellbutrin and clonidine for the last 3 days and my restlessness has been so severe... and i have been getting these twitches in my legs and arms and jaw. like just involuntary twitches. These symptoms have always been there for quite some time now and seem to be exasberated by diphenhydradmine... which is kind of odd.

I wish i could offer some advice but I'm in the same boat... this sucks...

u are talking about opiods in general..it is miserable kicking them..everyone talks about the first 4-5 days of withdrawals but thats the easy part..the hard part is the months and sometimes years of lethargy, anxiety, low mood, foggy head..month ater month of this will drive you crazy..the only thing that got me through it was exercise..

My sleep slightly improved from week 7 to now, week 10. The anxiety, though, just doesn't seem to abate. I would love to hear from someone that could tell me what to expect now.

I just can't relax anymore.

Hey, belfort.

So opioids in general do cause this, then. Okay.

Exercise got you through it? I've just started going to the gym. Can you tell me how long it took before you began to feel like you could relax?

I'm still having anxiety and even diarrhea and it's been 10 weeks!

Hi Chrunchy,

was long time on Tramadol with ended up in a drama. Bumped also about 2-3 kilos Kratom in my body (whole life).
But do a cold turkey after I had an outrage with a bottle of Vodka and 200ml of Trama in fluid form. Nobody and nothing get hurt - but I was going nuts and yelling bad things to my brother.

So I kicked the Tramadol from one day to another. Kratom was never a problem. Took this over 2 years I think and not everyday, because if I do so - I can not go for a long sit to the toilet.

So about diarrhea. If you have this, your body tries to cleans itself. Opiates makes trouble in your gut. But 10 weeks is to long. IMHO. Had this only 2 weeks or so. Would try to eat medicinal clay buy also a enema. Sounds ugly, but if you can stand with that - it really helps to speed up the process of cleaning the body.

About anxiety I can not say really much about it, if is Tramadol inducted. But Opiates are like a shield. Anxiety is deep grounded feeling in our self. Problem if you watch around you and see how the whole world goes mad. Terror here, terror there, terror against their own citizen. Depts. Etc...

Will tell you a secrect: What do you think what is the greatest weapon to control people? Got it?

And they do nothing for us normal people to take out us from this state for fear. That's my opinion why so much people suffer under anxiety today - 20 years ago it wasn't such a big problem...

I must fight with this demon too. My whole life broke into pieces. In only three years. I lost everything what I had. I feel like a refugee. Plus it wasn't drug inducted. Other ppl used my good will and robbed me totally out. So called friends, my medical care did frauding me, my bank closed my account, even my boss just used me to make a bunch of money with me. All they used me for their own profit.

Yes, if you see no feature it makes you anxious. At the end, I would say it is not the Trama that makes the drama.

Could you provide some more information. Did you had suffered a trauma or something? In which country you live? For example in the US most of the people are on Xanax. So if you are confrontated with a bunch of people that took always the pills. You feel little and think what is wrong with me. Why have I fear and nobody else? Did you take other drugs before, while or now?

So long - little more info needed

Hope you the best - must make myself ready for church now...

LifeIsStrange

Last edited:
I wanted to give an update on my tramadol withdrawal.

I'm now a ruined man. In my entire life I never needed psychiatric services, but the terrible insomnia following tramadol cessation drove me to madness. The insomnia lasted literally for months.

I've now been committed 8 times. The high blood pressure that followed gave me a stroke. You might have read my post on reddit.

I was good looking, smart, with a great wife. I'm now a mentally ill bum, soon to be homeless.

Stay away from tramadol. The feelings of bliss aren't worth it.

Tramadol isn't just an opioid. Tramadol I've learned is an SSRI and SNRI. I believe this makes withdrawal from tramadol more difficult than withdrawal from other opioids.

Kratom can have pretty bad WD's too. Irritable, anxious, cold.....always cold.

I'm attempting to kick Suboxone right now. About to jump down to .25 mg from .5

Would you recommend avoiding Kratom as a crutch/withdrawal tool? What should I do? I know i'm in for a world of fuckery.

^kratom will help but that's a pretty low dose of subs..maybe skip a day between doses for a week until u stop and avoid prolonging the wd with Kratom..Kratom use can be a way of the addiction keeping itself around

Crunchy - you are NOT ruined. Please pay attention.

Tramadol is known to have some slight SSRI activity. It most definitely interacts with your SEROTONIN levels,
like an ANTIDEPRESSANT.

Quitting Tramadol suddenly is like quitting an antidepressant AND mild opiate at the same time...

I've personally known a few people who abused Tramadol for years, and I remember their withdrawal stories..
Elevated heart rate, depression, anxiety, depersonalization, you name it - all on antidepressant withdrawal lists.

It would be a good idea to seek help for this. Please.

I apologize if you already know this - I didn't have time to read all replies, am in a rush, but I wanted to throw this in there.

One guy, a professional photographer, managed to quit, deal with the WDs, and go back to work eventually. He didn't sleep for a month.
But he also tried to pull it off cold turkey.

You're not a ruined man. You're in withdrawal and it's more prolonged than most other substances. Methadone comes to mind.

Go to a psychiatrist or doctor and seek help, don't torture yourself.