• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Peripheral Effects of Morphine

dopamimetic

Bluelighter
I am on morphine maintenance, dosage was up to 600mg/d of retarded morphine, but I struggled to find a good dosage as it only worked well in the first week or so and when tolerance sets in I get more side effects than beneficial ones with upping the dose. 400mg/d appeared to be the most I did somewhat tolerate but even then I got heavy tiredness, pale skin, constipation and the most weird- some hints of positive symptoms, especially changes in how my thoughts appeared, not exactly hearing voices but something alike. Mostly when I was tired and before falling asleep. This wasn't dangerous but unnerving and with 600mg/d that stuff also sometimes appeared during daytime. Weird. Because of these side effects I've gone through withdrawal multiple times probably too fast but I just wanted to get these effects away.. to be left with craving, obviously.

Well at some point I began experimenting with extracting the pure morphine out of these pills and snorting it. For one, it is like 2-3x as potent so it lasts longer / or I can get a hit from time by time. But the unexpected is that it behaves much differently from the retarded and oral usage. There are no more auditory hallucinations (repeatedly. It's no placebo for sure), much less sedation - and with sedation I don't relate to nodding, I'd need much more to achieve that - fewer hormone imbalance, as in no sexual dysfunction, and a different withdrawal pattern. Fewer diarrhea, restlessness etc. but more sweating. Somehow like I'd skip the first phase of withdrawal and directly begin with phase II or so.

I am now on maybe 3x 20-30mg per day. on day 4 or so, with no changes besides of course a little tolerance as expected.

Now what's going on here? The obvious guess is that it must have to do with some peripheral receptors. At least there is this weird proglumide hitting CCK receptors and apparently helping with reversing opioid tolerance despite not acting centrally. And/or a hepatic first pass metabolite acting as something like a kappa agonist. This is much in line with many people saying that maintenance therapy is harder to kick than H (which of course nobody takes orally).
Thanks for clearing me up. :)

I find it weird that intranasal morphine seems to work that well for you. Most sources I could find cite a bioavailability of around 10% for that ROA-which summarizes my own experiences with intranasal morphine quite well.

I have been on morphine maintance ("substitol" which ist morphine xr-Brand Name for maintance around here) for around 1 and a 1/2 year with doses from 200mg to 1600mg. Right now at 1200 mg. For me it's better than methadon or even that shitty levomethadon.
A few times a week i extract the morphine from the wax (which ist ridiculous easy to do) and swallow 450mg-600mg to the rest of my time release capsules.

But I fear I don't have a real answer to your Problem. The only real problem I have from time to time is morphines' heavy histamine reaction.

How do you extract the pure morphine from the wax?

I have MS Contin pills and would like to try this in situations where I am low on my supply.

Please give more information guys! Thanks!!

Most sources I could find cite a bioavailability of around 10% for that ROA-which summarizes my own experiences with intranasal morphine quite well.
Try combining chitosan if you attempt consuming morphine intranasally. It increases the BA ridiculously. You can find a couple experiences of it posted here.

An abstract of a study on this subject:

"Morphine administered nasally to humans as a simple solution is only absorbed to a limited degree, with a bioavailability of the order of 10% compared with intravenous administration. This article describes the development of novel nasal morphine formulations based on chitosan, which, in the sheep model, provide a highly increased absorption with a 5- to 6-fold increase in bioavailability over simple morphine solutions. The chitosan-morphine nasal formulations have been tested in healthy volunteers in comparison with a slow i.v. infusion (over 30 min) of morphine. The results show that the nasal formulation was rapidly absorbed with a T(max) of 15 min or less and a bioavailability of nearly 60%. The shape of the plasma profile for nasal delivery of the chitosan-morphine formulation was similar to the one obtained for the slow i.v. administration of morphine. Furthermore, the metabolite profile obtained after the nasal administration of the chitosan-morphine nasal formulation was essentially identical to the one obtained for morphine administered by the intravenous route. The levels of both morphine-6-glucuronide and morphine-3-glucuronide were only about 25% of that found after oral administration of morphine. It is concluded that a properly designed nasal morphine formulation (such as one with chitosan) can result in a non-injectable opioid product capable of offering patients rapid and efficient pain relief."
Source: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/11457494_Intranasal_delivery_of_morphine

Last edited:
Well I do take these little balls out from inside the capsule, then heat them up with some water, until the wax is fully dissolved into an oily residue swimming on top of the water. Not much is required, like it can be done in a spoon for one 200mg pill.
Then frost that water, the wax will become solid again - > dischard. The morphine is now in the water and by evaporating it you'll get nice crystals.

Thanks for that chitosan link, interesting for sure.

How do you extract the pure morphine from the wax?

I have MS Contin pills and would like to try this in situations where I am low on my supply.

Please give more information guys! Thanks!!
I would like to help you,but the pills(well,capsules to be excact) the OP and me are Talking about are quite different to your "MS Contin" pills, unfortunately

These capsules (the european maintanence formula) are designed in a way that almost invites to abuse/misuse! Basically just wax with some minor extra ingredients. For my ROAs (injection is out of question for morphine for me and I generally don't want to go this way again.) it is basically the best formulation!

Thanks for the chitosan tip btw. i have heard about it couple of times, and I should give it a try!

But how to proceed with the chitosan, just mix it before snorting? Or does some kind of reaction need to take place?

It is one hell of a difference. I am almost off the morphine now with no real withdrawal besides some hefty sweating and kinda strange 'naked' emotions but no diarrhea, restlessness, anxiety or depression at all.. just by changing from oral to an equivalent intranasal dosage and building that down over just 3 days or so. Crazy shit after failing to go through withdrawal for almost a year now or at least post-acute withdrawal (which is almost completely non-present now and for the residual symptoms some NMDA antagonist like 2-FDCK is of great help.. I am even feeling euphoric now..)