View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Perceptual Changes After LSD

FrankenBoots

Greenlighter
I took LSD for the first time about two months ago. About a month after the trip, I had a sudden onset of vitreous floaters that I believe had nothing to do with the LSD. Regardless, I believe they caused me to over analyze other aspects of my visual field and I started noticing other phenomenon. I have become aware of the movement of my own hands. I don't think i really see "tracers" but I'm aware of the subtle blurring that happens when objects move. I think it is normal, but I am simply hyper aware of it now.

If I stare fixedly at something with an intricate pattern like a fuzzy carpet, trees, or grass, I can almost make myself "trip". The pattern in front of me starts to get more intricate and continuous and eventually it will appear to be breathing and moving. For example, if I stare long enough at the woods/trees in my back yard, the pattern of leaves will take over my entire visual field and things like twigs and tree trunks will disappear. Everything disappears except for the pattern of the green leaves, which will become smaller and more intricate before appearing to shift and move. Another time I was staring at a large uprooted tree trunk that had many intricate roots sticking out of it. The longer I stared, the pattern of the roots took over my visual field, then became smaller and more intricate, and then began to move like worms. As soon as I moved my eyes again, the phenomena would end and everything would go back to normal.

I'm not sure if this is an new ability that I have because of the LSD, or if this is something that would happen to anyone regardless of drug use if they stared fixedly at a pattern. I remember staring at walls as a very young sober kid and the longer i stared, the imperfections in the wall such as dents or scuffs would disappear. Now that I think about it, patterns may have formed upon the empty wall as well! This was when I was a very young kid - probably about six years old. So, the questions are:

Has this ability always been there? Am I just noticing it again because I have started staring a things again like I did when I was a kid? Or did this ability disappear as I grew out of childhood, and now reappear now that I've altered my mind with acid?

Another notable and interesting anecdote is as follows: When I was a young kid I also had very intense visual snow at night. It was very colorful and I remember it being made up of primary colors. I'd stare into the darkness when I couldn't sleep, and the visual snow would actually form images! I'd see faces and bicycle riders materialize out of the colorful static and move across my vision before disintegrating into the snow again. This was very interesting and magical, and I thought nothing strange of it when I was a kid. I guess I thought it was something everyone experienced and as I grew, I forgot about it. Now, when I stare into the darkness I do not see such intense visual snow and the funny faces and bicycle/unicycle riders with their colorfully-spoked wheels are nowhere to be found. This leads me to believe that the mind of a child is very much like the psychedelic mind. Perhaps as we grow, reality presses down on our minds and gives us tunnel vision. Maybe psychedelics re-open these pathways of seeing? Just an interesting story that I thought would add to this topic...

Anyway, I plan on continuing psychedelic use in the future - in moderation of course. I enjoy this new ability that I have and I feel like staring at the trees until they dance will be very helpful in meditation, as I feel like I am somewhere else when the green foliage pattern surrounds me completely. It makes me feel quite at ease with the world and I'm glad I get to experience it while sober whenever I choose to. So, does anyone else have similar stories? Also, if you've never tried a psychedelic, do me a favor and go outside. Stare at the trees without moving your gaze or blinking too much, and see if they start to look a little funny. Thanks to anyone who read all this! :) =D

The mind of a close-to-sleeping-conscious-person is very much like the psychedelic mind. Children are not the only ones that hover in this state.

Vision is a construct in the mind/brain, where a large 2-d & 3-d reconstruction is continuously being rebuilt and extended from fragments that we see in real time.
Pieces that we focus on are quite small while the rest of each viewed scene is blurry; the eye scans - twitching quickly - to move the dense fovea around areas of interest. The brain revises the scene into a comprehensive totality.

When you notice defects in the "illusion" of a clear continuous visual field, you are seeing what the sense of seeing really is, including floaters, fragments, splashes of color, and intermittently focused details. This is OK, because you are also still compositing the visual field that the brain needs to do and the mind relies on for orientation and tasking. It is good to see the components and in-between the frames as well as the composited totality.

This is completely normal, everyone can do it, most people just don't notice it until after they've tripped.