• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

People who purposefully want to get AIDS - Are you one of them?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Came across this documentary the other day where people purposefully go to gay orgies to get AIDS. It got me thinking why would someone want it and are there people here who may have contrasting views?

They are called bug chasers. Mostly the reason they do it is because they don't see it as a death sentence given the advances in medicine, therefore they can then participate in sexual liberation without the fear they may have had as a non carrier.

Kind of dumb reasoning if you ask me.

Fuck no.

I have encountered them online, and they're crazy. Some of them do it because they think that if they're HIV+ this means they do not have to practice safer sex and can have sex with anyone; but they're in complete denial about how they can get reinfected with a new strain of HIV, get co-infected with the strain they have, infect someone else with a new strain, and get and infect other people with STDs.

I also have encountered people online who wanted to become HIV+ to get free benefits such as housing, disability, etc. or because becoming HIV+ would give them sympathy from other people. I have also met gay men who thought that because their partner/husband is HIV+ that being infected by him would make them 'linked forever' or some nonsense.

I also have met people who claim to be HIV neg and think that because a person is HIV+ but undetectable that this means that it's as though they're HIV neg and that it's fine to have unprotected sex with them, and other people who think that because they take PrEP/Truvada that they can have all the unprotected sex with whoever they want, or even share needles and still remain HIV neg; but I figure that these people either are HIV+ or will be soon.

I just don´t understand. This seems like a very cruel way to commit suicide. Someone must be on the edge of the lowest self esteem to think they need to go through all of that in order to feel more complete or to get the so called benefits. It´s just very sad.

What benefits? Maybe jail? Expensive drugs... likely-hood of dying in a short time when you don't get those drugs. Causing others to get sick and die (that can get you prison), your body falling apart - being constantly sick. Sane men avoiding you, of course.

From what I know, only those who take very good care of themselves and have access to the meds are the only ones doing well and as it is, they spend quite a bit of their time to stay healthy.

The sympathy thing is common with all kinds of people, there are women who hurt themselves or their babies to get sympathy but this is top of the list of one of the worst ways to go about it.

its stupid behaviour.

thats litterally it in a nutshell. who knows why they wanna catch it? off their nut on meth?

What benefits? Maybe jail? Expensive drugs... likely-hood of dying in a short time when you don't get those drugs. Causing others to get sick and die (that can get you prison), your body falling apart - being constantly sick. Sane men avoiding you, of course.

From what I know, only those who take very good care of themselves and have access to the meds are the only ones doing well and as it is, they spend quite a bit of their time to stay healthy.

The sympathy thing is common with all kinds of people, there are women who hurt themselves or their babies to get sympathy but this is top of the list of one of the worst ways to go about it.

In some states people who are HIV+ or who have AIDS get free or greatly reduced public housing for people who are HIV+ or who have AIDS in expensive areas like Palm Springs and the SF bay area.

A lot of these people have the mentality of, "Well if I become HIV+ I'll just go on meds..." and do not realize that the HIV medications are extremely expensive even if you do get funding or help from a state or federal government to help pay for them, and some of them are naive and think that the meds have little side effects or the side effects are not that bad and it's like taking a daily vitamin or aspirin.

The side effects of AIDs medication are horrible. Many AIDS can barely function, even with medication. On medication, they're weak, can't think clearly, and don't have good quality of life. The medication doesn't cure the disease. They'll have to live that way for the rest of their lives.

In some states people who are HIV+ or who have AIDS get free or greatly reduced public housing for people who are HIV+ or who have AIDS in expensive areas like Palm Springs and the SF bay area.

A lot of these people have the mentality of, "Well if I become HIV+ I'll just go on meds..." and do not realize that the HIV medications are extremely expensive even if you do get funding or help from a state or federal government to help pay for them, and some of them are naive and think that the meds have little side effects or the side effects are not that bad and it's like taking a daily vitamin or aspirin.

That's scary, it kind of reminds me of a coworker I had once. Terrible diabetic but believed that because he had his insulin pump, he could eat whatever he wanted. Then when he had high blood pressure.. "I got my pills! now I can eat whatever I want again!". The worst part was that he had kids.. I really hope they don't emulate his beliefs one day.

Perhaps what is needed is a public service announcement in the LGBT community "HIV drugs are NOT vitamins! You'll be a zombie!" Okay, that is to be a scare tactic - not an insult to those who never wanted HIV. And of course, show various photos of "AIDS survivors" along with such victims saying how bad it sucks, especially those who purposely and stupidly got HIV on purpose.

Their stupidity is going to cause a lot more infections, rather than helping to end HIV/AIDS with everyone.

The side effects of AIDs medication are horrible. Many AIDS can barely function, even with medication. On medication, they're weak, can't think clearly, and don't have good quality of life. The medication doesn't cure the disease. They'll have to live that way for the rest of their lives.
^ this is such an important reason not to be blasé about blood borne viruses such as HIV.
Just because people are living longer with the advent of better antiretrovirals doesnt mean their quality of life would be worthintentionally getting infected

Are the side effects really that terrible these days? There was recently a thread on Reddit where people with HIV/AIDS spoke about finding out they had it and spoke about their lives now. Of course this is all anecdotal but it seems most people (that can afford treatment) have great quality of life these days.

Here are some of the top comments.

I was part of the SF Clinic Study, aka the "frozen blood study," in which blood samples from gay men who visited the City Clinic for vanilla-type STDs in 1979-1980 were frozen for some years -- not, as I understand it, with a specific plan in mind, but because it was a large & likely very useful cohort. Later, well into the early 1980s after HIV (then briefly called HTLV-III) had arrived, they contacted each of us, unfroze the samples, and began periodic testing & interviews that continued for several years after.

I only officially knew something was wrong when I decided to "open my folder" (= ask for my status). By way of explanation, for many years, lots of us preferred not to know, given that the only treatments were incredibly toxic and destructive to QOL. Life in the 1980s was depressing enough, as I've detailed in other postings, and the stigma was many times more intense and demoralizing than today.
When I did this, I learned I'd been HIV+ since my sample was taken (1979) and likely for some time earlier. I'd had random bouts of ordinary sickness (flu, etc.) but nothing hinting strongly that I had HIV, though I had lost some weight over time, very slowly.

That was 1991, so at that appointment, in addition to my antibody result, I got many years of semiannual T-cell counts, from which I did the only sensible geekworthy thing, i.e., raced home to make a line graph. It was a shock to see how wildly the counts had fluctuated over time, and to imagine how my decisions & outlook might have changed if I'd chosen to know my result earlier. It was even scarier to see that my T-cell percentage -- a somewhat more accurate image of immune system health -- had been declining rather steadily.

For the next 4 years my health declined generally and my T-cells fell below the 200 threshold that demarcates the 'boundary' of AIDS, but I never had any of the ominously named AIDS-defining infections. Still, it was a pretty dark time. I took disability in 1995 and basically waited for the reaper.

Then came the protease inhibitors and combination therapy (thank you David Ho), and everything changed, yanking a million of us back from the brink. I started meds in 1996 and made a jawdropping rebound, including a weight gain of nearly 25 pounds, mostly muscle, requiring new clothes head to foot. Had a few rocky spells with the first set of drugs, but was thoroughly improved by, and back in the workforce full-time in, 2002.

On OP's second question: I hardly think about it at all now. And I'm not exaggerating. I take 3 antiviral pills once a day, along with 8 supplements, 2 of them to minimize drug toxicity (which they do successfully), and I never think about HIV when taking them or even when sorting them out each week. I have no side-effects to speak of. My BF is also HIV+ so we have no awkward moments of being careful not to say The Wrong Thing.

I NEVER thought this would be my future. During the period between getting my result in 1991 and the rebound from the first set of meds in 1996, I was absolutely certain I'd never live to see 40. I'm now over 60, working at a high-presssure job that I (mostly) love, and have no plans to retire anytime soon.
TL;DR - Your mileage may vary. Mine sure did.
EDIT: Grammar

I heard through the grapevine that someone I had slept with had tested positive. Went in, got tested, got the bad news. That was more than 20 years ago -- for a long time I was convinced that diagnosis was my death sentence. I felt like I had a ticking time bomb inside me, I felt dirty, I felt like a bad person who would never have a relationship again.

Fast forward to now: I've been married for years, I have (healthy) children, I'm in perfect health and for the last 8 years or so I've been taking one insanely expensive fixed-dose combination drug a day that, so far, has kept me in undetectable viral load territory.

However, my HIV status is my biggest, darkest secret. Virtually no one in my life aside from my husband and doctor knows that I'm HIV+. It's a condition that doesn't affect me physically at all, but it continues to impact my self-worth to this day.

I got really sick. It was like the worst flu of my life. My mother came and took me to the hospital, where they asked if I had been tested recently. I had and told them I get tested every 6 months. They sent me back to my mothers with a months worth of bactrum. I am allergic to bactrum. We did not know this at the time, which made a month of me getting even sicker.
Eventually, I got better and just thought "meh, people get sick sometimes."
6 months later, I got tested, it was positive. A second test confirmed it. At the time, I felt perfectly fine. I got treatment and, after getting used to the medication (it was hell, but there are much better options now) I was fine.
Don't let the results scare you. I'm in a long-term relationship. We sometimes forget I'm even positive. Every morning, I take what looks like a big, green vitamin, and with the same side effects (none). and I'm just fine.
Get tested. It takes no time and not only can save you, but it can save others you have no intention of harming.

Of course aids is terrible and not something anyone should want or get, but it seems the hardest part of having HIV and AIDS, for many, is the social stigma and lasting mental effects.. not so much side effects or being physically ill.

^ no the hardest part is if you forget/chose not to take meds or cannot afford them. its seriously no joke

Perhaps what is needed is a public service announcement in the LGBT community "HIV drugs are NOT vitamins! You'll be a zombie!" Okay, that is to be a scare tactic - not an insult to those who never wanted HIV. And of course, show various photos of "AIDS survivors" along with such victims saying how bad it sucks, especially those who purposely and stupidly got HIV on purpose.

Their stupidity is going to cause a lot more infections, rather than helping to end HIV/AIDS with everyone.

There was a PSA like this that ran in NYC a few years ago and people got angry and said how it's poz-phobic.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/04/nyregion/04hiv.html?_r=0

^ no the hardest part is if you forget/chose not to take meds or cannot afford them. its seriously no joke

Interesting. Is that because withdrawals or does the body just fall apart that quickly after meds are stopped, or both maybe?

This is a huge exaggeration though. My friends has been HIV positive for over five years as far as I know, is on a regime of drugs and if you ever met him you'd think his life is no different than you and I. He works, he plays, he still picks up random guys and fucks them. Medicine has come a long way since the horrors of the 80's and 90's.

I'm not saying his life is perfect, regular doctors appointments and the threat from infections are still a daily reminder of the serious virus he carries, but reality is his disease does not define him. No one but his closet friends are even aware he is HIV positive. In fact it was only recently that we spent the day together that I even spoke to him about his life candidly over one too many beers.

This is also why bug chasers exist. The stigma is not as confronting as it once was, the sudden death sentence no longer exists. I'm in no way condoning such people, but I can understand why this disease is no longer feared by a lot of gay men.

Anyway if you wanna go balls to the wall and fuck everything, you still don't need to become HIV+ straight away. Better let fate decide i guess. Might get lucky. Shit, imagine regretting it later lol id take a face tattoo over this anyday

This is a huge exaggeration though. My friends has been HIV positive for over five years as far as I know, is on a regime of drugs and if you ever met him you'd think his life is no different than you and I. He works, he plays, he still picks up random guys and fucks them. Medicine has come a long way since the horrors of the 80's and 90's.

I'm not saying his life is perfect, regular doctors appointments and the threat from infections are still a daily reminder of the serious virus he carries, but reality is his disease does not define him. No one but his closet friends are even aware he is HIV positive. In fact it was only recently that we spent the day together that I even spoke to him about his life candidly over one too many beers.

This is also why bug chasers exist. The stigma is not as confronting as it once was, the sudden death sentence no longer exists. I'm in no way condoning such people, but I can understand why this disease is no longer feared by a lot of gay men.

Does your friend use condoms or not? In a lot of countries if someone is HIV+ and does not tell their sex partners, or even tells them and has unprotected or even protected sex they do risk being put into prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_transmission_of_HIV